• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

A Sales Story | E04 | Fire Emblem: Awakening

wp1844129.jpg

"The Emblem series isn't making the numbers, so this is going to be the last one."

Looking at the sales numbers and popularity of the Fire Emblem series today, it might be hard to believe the series was on the verge of death a little over ten years ago. The latest release, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, has 3.4 million total sales as of December 2020. During the Game Awards of 2019 there was a 100% fan-voted award where users would decide their favorite game of the year out of 30 selected titles in a competitive vote; Fire Emblem: Three Houses was the winner of the first Player's Voice award. In 2021 around 50,000 Japanese citizens voted for their favorite TV videogame software throughout the years, Fire Emblem: Three Houses receiving an impressive 23rd place of the top 100 games revealed. Clearly, across the world there is appeal and a sizable following for Fire Emblem games currently. Looking back there’s one factor that altered the course of this franchise into its growing popularity- and its name is Fire Emblem Awakening.

Context

With the GameCube, the Fire Emblem series had made its triumphant return to home consoles after three GBA titles. Path of Radiance had required more time and money to develop compared to the portable games, and unfortunately hadn’t sold better despite the increased cost. It sold 100,357 copies in its first week in Japan. That game would receive a sequel Radiant Dawn which was developed for Wii hardware instead. When producing a sequel game, one would assume that development and production cost would be reduced due to returning characters, reusing assets, maps and mechanics, etc. However developing for the Wii had required the developers at Intelligent Systems to scale up, doubling its staff, just to produce the title. Despite the increased effort Radiant Dawn released on Wii to first week sales of 73,337 in Japan.

The next two Fire Emblem games had smaller budgets and moved back to portable systems, with Fire Emblems 11 and 12 being Shadow Dragon and New Mystery of the Emblem. These were remakes of the 1st and 3rd FE games, with the original Mystery of the Emblem being the bestselling FE of the franchise before the series was localized. These remakes were also released on the Nintendo DS, a gaming system flying off the shelves worldwide. Despite these boons, Japan’s first week sales of both titles was 147,704 for Shadow Dragon and 147,045 for New Mystery of the Emblem. Overseas Nintendo didn’t bother translating the 12th FE game, New Mystery of the Emblem.

After seeing the sales trend of the recent FE games Shinji Hatano, the former head of Nintendo’s sales department, gave the development staff at Intelligent Systems his verdict. "The Emblem series isn't making the numbers, so this is going to be the last one."

If the thirteenth title of the Fire Emblem franchise did not sell at least 250,000 units, the series would come to an end.

Awakening

With their backs against the wall, the developers at Intelligent Systems discussed at length various ideas of what a final Fire Emblem should be. When looking at the number of copies sold for the Radiant FEs and the recent DS titles, they all sold similarly despite being on different systems with very different budgets. From this, one can concur that IS was able to capture and sell to the core FE fanbase who bought and supported each title in the series. But what could the developers do to improve Fire Emblem's selling power and capture a new, larger audience?

One direction was to move away from the old look of Fire Emblem, an example shared by staff was to set the next FE on Mars instead of being in medieval times. Moving away from the look of Fire Emblem games of the past also could be interpreted as utilizing an art direction for this final title that separated it from its predecessors and had the potential to bring in a new audience to Fire Emblem. The team at IS had a difficult time deciding what road to take but ultimately the idea that landed was to make a culmination of the series’ best features. After all, if this was the very last Fire Emblem game, the developers wanted to include their favorite features from the series’ long history.

Some notable inclusions and the Fire Emblem game its from:
  • Casual Mode (where there is no permanent death of units) -FE12
  • Character Creation -FE12
  • Marriage and Child Units -FE4
  • Skill System -FE4
  • Traversable world map -FE2
  • Multiple promotion options -FE2
  • Support conversations -FE6
  • Weapon forging system -FE9

Wanting to have a fresh start to the franchise, the team went with Awakening as the name. To have Awakening’s art direction be distinct from previous Fire Emblem titles the staff brought Toshiyuki Kusakihara as art director and Kozaki Yusuke in as character designer and illustrator, two people who had little to no involvement with Fire Emblem before Awakening. Additionally, there was a stronger focus on the characters in Fire Emblem Awakening through the new Pair Up mechanic easily forming bonds between units with quirkier personalities.

iu

By combining beloved strategic features from past games which would satisfy longtime FE fans with a new, more contemporary art style with endearing characters that should capture a wider audience's interest into the Fire Emblem series, the developers at IS laid every chip on the table- bet everything and used all they had- to make Awakening.

Reception, Release, and Legacy

Fire Emblem Awakening was announced in September at Nintendo's 2011 3DS Conference with the first trailer shown at Tokyo Game Show that year.

The critical reception to Awakening was filled with high praise. Many critics were grateful for the inclusion of Casual Mode which lowered the entry bar of difficulty, while others commended the game for its story and characters. Overall, the title was recognized for its high production values while retaining strategic challenges and accommodations for people new to strategy games. Awakening is still the highest rated Fire Emblem title on Metacritic with a 92 metascore.

When the game released in April of 2012 in Japan the initial sale figures were staggering- Awakening was the fastest selling Fire Emblem in the series history, selling 81% of its initial shipment. With first week sales of 242k units it was fair to say the development team had ensured that the Fire Emblem series would not be canceled. Sales numbers overseas matched the fervor in Japan for Fire Emblem Awakening. In North America the game sold 180,000 units in the first month, which was the best first month sales for the franchise in NA.
As of December of 2020 Fire Emblem Awakening has reached total sale numbers of 2.33 million units, the first title in the series to surpass 1 million units sold.
The success of the game led to a revival of interest in the series and green-lit two games immediately; Awakening's successor game, Fire Emblem Fates, and an enhanced remake of Fire Emblem Gaiden, eventually being named Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia. Additionally when DeNA and Nintendo partnered to create mobile games, Fire Emblem was chosen as the 2nd Nintendo property to be represented on mobile. Fire Emblem Heroes is the top-grossing mobile gaming title owned by Nintendo, generating close to $1 billion in revenue in 5 years since launch.

iu

To restate the beginning statement, it can be difficult to believe that in 2010 this franchise could have been shelved for good due to low sales numbers.

The work Intelligent Systems put into Awakening was the turning point of the series, by taking a risk through changing the art direction of Fire Emblem and placing their focus on the characters, as well as providing easier options to play the game, the bar of entry was lowered significantly and the scope of consumers increased as well. The success of Awakening may have saved its franchise’s future, but it also provided an example of a SRPG that sold well in Japan and overseas. Without Fire Emblem Awakening and future FE games sparking consumer interest in the genre, new SRPG titles like Team Asano’s Triangle Strategy and Square Enix’s The Diofield Chronicle may not have been greenlit for production. As videogames get more expensive to develop it makes logical sense for larger publishers to create fewer titles that appeal to the widest variety of people, like funding an open world RPG instead of a game from a less popular genre.
The fact that Fire Emblem Awakening was a game so successful that it revitalized not only its franchise but a dying genre makes its Sales Story one to be remembered.

If you're still interested in learning more about Fire Emblem Awakening, I would recommend reading through the Iwata Asks for FE Awakening and Fates found here. The First Week numbers used in the Context Section was sourced from the Game Data Library, linked below as well. A table organizing the sale figures of all the Fire Emblem titles is in the fourth link, and a comment and link below that about FE's history:
There's a fantastic summary of the Fire Emblem series history by StardustTraveler just a few posts below this one (Post #104 of the thread). Highly recommend those who are curious about the FE franchise to read through it, Fire Emblem has quite an interesting past and this Sales Story only focused on a small piece of it!

Last edited:
I bought a 3ds explicitly to play Awakening after having only played the gba entries.

It's still my favorite 3ds game: it looks great (for the system), it plays great and it's a genuinely great game all-around.

Awesome read @alpaca_apple. I like the backstory and the emphasis on how crucial Awakening's success was not only to the series but for Japanese sRPGs as a whole. These episodes are a really good idea and I can't wait for what's next.

Something I have always thought that is interesting is that even if it was 'at risk of dying' the bar to get another entry was low, 250k was something the previous entry had been able to do with Japanese sales alone (not like it got sales from anywhere else to be fair). I think this goes to show that Nintendo (and their partners) management of budget has always been excellent if the bar was put that low to get another entry, of course not only it did reach it but it overpassed the bar by almost a x10 ratio which started a huge push by Nintendo of the franchise that hasn't stopped to this day and continues to be pushed to become bigger and bigger.

Last edited:
Additional tidbits on Fire Emblem
Great post. I would like to add some more information about the history of the Fire Emblem series, because I think there's a lot of interesting information that gets left out when talking about the franchise. I considered sending alpaca_apple a message about this, but I decided that it was a bit off-topic for the Sales Story post. Hope this is okay.

Prologue: The Kaga Saga

The first five games in the Fire Emblem series were directed Intelligent Systems employee Shozou Kaga. In addition to leading development, Kaga would also serve as scenario writer, developing the story and setting of each game. Of the games he directed, the best selling one was Mystery of the Emblem. According to Game Data Library, it sold 776,000 copies, a record that would not be broken until the series achieved an international release. The next game, Genealogy of the Holy War, also sold well at about 500,000 copies, but the following Thracia 776 sold terribly, moving only 158,695 copies. Thracia originated as a side story that was to be part of Genealogy, but grew in scope until it was spun off into its own game. Genealogy was already a bit of a late Super Famicom release coming out in 1996, so by the time Thracia came out in 1999, most gamers had moved on to the 5th generation of game consoles. This extremely late release gave Thracia the dubious distinction of being the worst selling Fire Emblem game.

Chapter 1: The Priestess of Darkness

In between Genealogy and Thracia, Kaga had thought of an idea for another Fire Emblem game, but he found that it was too ambitious for the aging Super Famicom. He put it aside and decided to work on Thracia 776. This game, initially known as Fire Emblem 64 but later called Priestess of Darkness, was initially intended to be a game for the 64DD add-on. But shortly before the release of Thracia 776, Shozou Kaga left Intelligent Systems to found his own studio, Tirnanog (which would end up getting sued by Nintendo, but that's a story for another day). Later, Priestess of Darkness was canceled. Though a couple of characters would be retained for the next Fire Emblem game, the Binding Blade, the game would be almost entirely rewritten.

Chapter 2: Roy's our Boy

Following all that chaos, The Binding Blade released in 2002 for the GBA. Compared to the complex mechanics and darker tone of Genealogy and Thracia , it featured greatly simplified gameplay and a story closer in spirit to Mystery of the Emblem. Despite the protagonist Roy having featured in Super Smash Bros Melee. a year earlier, it sold a modest 345,574 copies. Nintendo of America announced that they would bring the game to the West, but this never happened. Instead, the next game, Blazing Blade, would be the first Fire Emblem game be released outside Japan. The international success of this title would encourage Intelligent Systems to develop their next Fire Emblem game for the Gamecube, though they would also develop a third GBA game in parallel with the home console title.

Chapter 3: Radiant Failure

The sales of Blazing Blade abroad encouraged Intelligent Systems, aided by Nintendo SPD, to develop a Fire Emblem game far greater in ambition. In addition to being the first home console title since Thracia, Path of Radiance many things to the series, including 3D graphics, animated cutscenes produced by the studio Digital Frontier, and voice acting. This game proved successful enough for a sequel on Wii, Radiant Dawn...and that's where things go off the rails. In Japan, Radiant Dawn sold only slightly better than Path of Radiance (171,924 vs 156,413), even though the sequel had twice as many staff members working on it. I don't have data for the Western release of RD, but given that Nintendo of America decided to release it a week before Super Mario Galaxy, I don't think it sold a lot. Staff at Nintendo told the Fire Emblem team, "With such results, do not release another title on a home console." So the Fire Emblem team was cut down in size and would not release a home console title for over a decade. The next two games were remakes of previous games, produced for the Nintendo DS. They were greatly simplified mechanically from Radiant Dawn, and much smaller in scope. One thing I want to note is that the second DS game, New Mystery of the Emblem, did not receive a Western release. One might think that this was because the first DS game underperformed in the West, but this isn't really true. Shadow Dragon sold about as well in North America as it did in Japan. I suspect the decision to not localize New Mystery came down to it being a late DS game, and NoA's dismissive attitude towards Japanese RPGs (remember Operation Rainfall?)

Endgame: Maeda Steps Up

There's a man who I would like to focus on as I wrap this post up. Kouhei Maeda joined Intelligent Systems in 2001 as a writer for the Binding Blade, and continued to work as a writer for the whole series. Following the failure of Radiant Dawn, the Fire Emblem team experimented with another Wii title, but this was canceled. At this time, Maeda stepped up and declared that he wanted to direct Fire Emblem. His first directorial role was New Mystery of the Emblem, which introduced the concept of a player avatar character to Fire Emblem (though a precursor to this can be found in Blazing Blade, a game Maeda was a scenario writer for) . Maeda desired to increase the appeal of the series, and it was to this end that he came with the idea for the marriage system in Awakening, the next game he directed. Given the breakout success of Awakening and Fates, which Maeda also directed, I think it's fair to say he more than succeeded.

Last edited:
I loved FEA... but I can't get into FE3H because I don't want to spend time on recruiting the students... I just want to go to the battlefield and fight!

Last edited:
Great post. I would like to add some more information about the history of the Fire Emblem series, because I think there's a lot of interesting information that gets left out when talking about the franchise.
Wow your post is amazing!! I did my best to link and source the numbers/ statements/ quotes I used, but I'll admit I wasn't aware about the Radiant Dawn information in that second link. With the information you've shared I've revised some areas of the Awakening Sales Story, and think they've greatly improved because of it! So thanks for writing and sharing this info!

You were able to condense the history of 13 Fire Emblem games in just a few paragraphs, something I wasn't sure would be possible to do when trying to focus on FE Awakening's sales and impact, so nice work. I agree wholeheartedly that the history and change within the Fire Emblem franchise has a ton of interesting information so I've mentioned and linked your post within the Sales Story too, if that's alright with you.

Last edited:
Excellent post, backed up by some great research!

Something else that's very interesting about Awakening is that it was among the first games that really got Nintendo to pay attention to the DLC model, and how they could benefit from it themselves. From a CESA keynote in 2012:

• As of September 2012, about 70% of 3DS owners had taken the device online
• By September 2012, 1.2 million units of Fire Emblem: Awakening DLC had been sold
• By September 2012, this DLC had brought in additional revenue of 380 million JPY (about $4.8 million)
• By this point, global sales of Fire Emblem Awakening were around 500k
• Retail revenue from Awakening was about 2.4 billion yen ($30.6 million) so these early DLC sales provided an additional 15% of revenue

Nintendo got people in the door very smartly with their initial DLC for the game. The Marth DLC was free at launch and cost 300 JPY/4 USD afterwards. That helped give people a taste and brought them onboard for more.

Without such strong DLC sales, we probably wouldn't have gotten Fire Emblem Heroes, which has been one of the few Nintendo mobile games to see any real long-term success. I'd imagine they saw how well people were responding to DLC characters and that cemented their decision.

Last edited:
Thanks for the posts.

Personally with Awakening Fire Emblem went from an A series to a B series (personally, again). But I'm really glad the series got saved by Awakening.

Excellent post, backed up by some great research!

Something else that's very interesting about Awakening is that it was among the first games that really got Nintendo to pay attention to the DLC model, and how they could benefit from it themselves. From a CESA keynote in 2012:

• As of September 2012, about 70% of 3DS owners had taken the device online
• By September 2012, 1.2 million units of Fire Emblem: Awakening DLC had been sold
• By September 2012, this DLC had brought in additional revenue of 380 million JPY (about $4.8 million)
• By this point, global sales of Fire Emblem Awakening were around 500k
• Retail revenue from Awakening was about 2.4 billion yen ($30.6 million) so these early DLC sales provided an additional 15% of revenue

Nintendo got people in the door very smartly with their initial DLC for the game. The Marth DLC was free at launch and cost 300 JPY/4 USD afterwards. That helped give people a taste and brought them onboard for more.

Without such strong DLC sales, we probably wouldn't have gotten Fire Emblem Heroes, which has been one of the few Nintendo mobile games to see any real long-term success. I'd imagine they saw how well people were responding to DLC characters and that cemented their decision.

Yeah. Nintendo went in all with DLC with this game. Considering that I recall the Summer/Festival/Hotspring + Future Children + Super Hard maps DLCs weren't originally planned, but greenlit after the success of the original DLC content.

Thracia 776 selling 150K+ copies as a 1999 SNES seems more impressive than failure given the handicaps!

I don't have any personal interest in Fire Emblem but Awakening is definitely one of the best feel-good stories in gaming sales history.

Back
Top Bottom