• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

3DCenter || Graphics Chip & Graphics Card Market Shares/Numbers Q1'22

ILikeFeet

Enthusiast
a bit different in regards to hardware, here's some PC GPU hardware data from Jon Peddie Research, via 3DCenter. I'm using the translations from reddit user Voodoo2-Sli, who works for the site. note that 3DCenter questions JPR's method of counting as they find discrepancies
JPR reports a +32.2% year-over-year increase in AIB GPUs. This would result in a market volume of ~10M units in Q1 of last year. However, this contradicts earlier information from JPR as well as the table presented by JPR itself, which shows exactly 12M units for Q1'21. Presumably, the "+32.2%" year-over-year is an mistake, more likely it is "just" +13.3% year-over-year.
AiB GPUsQ1'21 Q2'21Q3'21Q4'21Q1'22
AMD20%20%21%22.8%24%
nVidia80%80%79%77.2%75%

discrete GPUs Q1'21Q2'21Q3'21Q4'21Q1'22
AMD19%17%17%18%17%
Intel5% (?)4% (?)
nVidia81%83%83%78%78%

similarly related, Steam Hardware Survey for May came out earlier in the month. there's no split between AMD/Nvidia/Intel unless the tally is done by hand, but Nvidia, as usual, exhibit the most growth. which makes sense given the chart above. people have called to question Steam Hardware Survey's accuracy, but it's really the most explicit tally of gaming hardware we have.

EISokPo.jpg

gpu prices are going down thanks to supply being more plentiful and the recent drop in crypto. not to mention, new products are looking to hit the shelfs (maybe) later this year

I knew Nvidia led but I didn't realize just how completely they dominated. How dependent is AMD's graphics R&D on their console deals?

Thanks ILikeFeet. You wouldn't realize from the steam survey, or even the sales volumes, that this is one of the most competitive times, in terms of performance at least, for gpus in a while.

The question to me is can AMD finally beat Nvidia in performance, since until then it's unlikely they can loosen nvidia's grip.

I knew Nvidia led but I didn't realize just how completely they dominated. How dependent is AMD's graphics R&D on their console deals?
probably quite a bit. with consoles being limited in die space, I wouldn't be surprised if that informed their methods for ray tracing. Nvidia spends more die on RT, but as we saw, it has a huge benefit

The question to me is can AMD finally beat Nvidia in performance, since until then it's unlikely they can loosen nvidia's grip.
in raster performance? maybe. but with the way things are going, RT performance will be more important. a filled out feature list looks to be the most important driver for adoption and with AMD lagging behind Nvidia (and now even Intel) in RT, catching up will be difficult. there's also the usage of machine learning that is growing in practically every computing field. it might not be long until games start leveraging ML accelerators for things. and AMD is woefully behind there too

in raster performance? maybe. but with the way things are going, RT performance will be more important. a filled out feature list looks to be the most important driver for adoption and with AMD lagging behind Nvidia (and now even Intel) in RT, catching up will be difficult. there's also the usage of machine learning that is growing in practically every computing field. it might not be long until games start leveraging ML accelerators for things. and AMD is woefully behind there too
Performance was a poor choice of words since I’d think of what you mentioned when I said that.

It’s odd to me how far behind AMD is on things like RT, ML, etc. Their cpu division can beat Intel, but their gpu division just keeps falling behind. It was funny how people said RT wouldn’t matter.

Back
Top Bottom