2024 STEAM Concurrent Players(CCU) Official Watch Thread

well that's fucking weird

Yeah, I don't know how they've managed their release on the backend.

Added this month's games.
Quite a few games (Smite 2/Frostpunk 2) and other smaller titles got delayed out of this month making it a bit leaner than it was looking to be just a few weeks ago.

Final Fantasy XIV ended up peaking at 89,478 on Sunday, so the initial early access launch on Friday will remain the peak. The expansion currently sits at 57% Mixed on Steam with 643 reviews, and while there have been some technical issues, most of the complaints stem from the narrative and structure of the main story. This is reflective of the wider trend I'm seeing across enthusiast forums right now; this is easily the worst the base game MSQ has been received since Stormblood.

I'm hoping they can turn things around in the patches, not just with the touted improvements to encounter mechanics but also seriously shaking up how they design the MSQ. Between the tepid reaction to the back half of Endwalker's patch cycle and now this, I don't think they're beating the accusations of floundering a bit after wrapping up the ARR -> EW story.

Final Fantasy XIV ended up peaking at 89,478 on Sunday, so the initial early access launch on Friday will remain the peak. The expansion currently sits at 57% Mixed on Steam with 643 reviews, and while there have been some technical issues, most of the complaints stem from the narrative and structure of the main story. This is reflective of the wider trend I'm seeing across enthusiast forums right now; this is easily the worst the base game MSQ has been received since Stormblood.

I'm hoping they can turn things around in the patches, not just with the touted improvements to encounter mechanics but also seriously shaking up how they design the MSQ. Between the tepid reaction to the back half of Endwalker's patch cycle and now this, I don't think they're beating the accusations of floundering a bit after wrapping up the ARR -> EW story.
XVI probably detracted them a bit from XIV, and to be fair this isn't easy to maintain the kind of quality those expansions had.

Once Human for sure, maybe also The First Descendant

just checked out a first descendant vid and holy cow does it look destiny-like lol. with a bit of overwatch art style thrown in.

but thats not all bad i'm down if done right.

pretty sure i remember a lot of destiny creators doing sponsored videos of this in the last months.

Destiny has the feel of being "over" until destiny 3 since I dont think another major expansion is planned. So I think the player base could move on quickly to these other games in the coming months while they wait. plus, there are a lot of developer issues with destiny, if another dev can do better (big if) they could exploit that.

Last edited:
The First Descendant launched right now.

Already over 100k CCU:
lvahjLN.png

Last edited:
XVI probably detracted them a bit from XIV, and to be fair this isn't easy to maintain the kind of quality those expansions had.
I wouldn't say it's due to XVI, it's the exacerbation of long existing issues alongside a writer shakeup. XIV always had the visual novel criticism and the half-serious half-joking "just keep playing it gets good 100 hours in" defense, but DT went overboard with long stretches of cutscenes and very little gameplay. The celebrated lead writer of ShB and EW was promoted out of the role, leaving DT to be written by the same leads of EW's middling patch content, and the subsequent drop in quality of the writing makes the lengthy cutscenes less tenable.

The First Descendant day 1 CCU peak(Asia) - 229,257

Pretty good number that could've been bigger.
Quite a few issues with the launch that may hinder the game's potential on both PC and consoles.
On Steam it is sitting a Mixed 42% w/ 5,349 reviews.
Seen issues ranging from crashing, buying currency and not getting it(yikes), abnormal performance on certain configurations and a whole slew of other stuff. The game probably needed a few more months of polish because from what I can gather, it seems people are enjoying the game when things are working as intended.

With the closed alpha done, FragPunk has moved to the top #200 wishlisted games on Steam. Pretty decent start.

Man, Hellblade 2's performance is just sad - its peak CCU over the last weekend was just 158, well below the first Hellblade (whose peak weekend CCU was 571).

The First Descendant day 1 CCU peak(Asia) - 229,257

Pretty good number that could've been bigger.
Quite a few issues with the launch that may hinder the game's potential on both PC and consoles.
On Steam it is sitting a Mixed 42% w/ 5,349 reviews.
Seen issues ranging from crashing, buying currency and not getting it(yikes), abnormal performance on certain configurations and a whole slew of other stuff. The game probably needed a few more months of polish because from what I can gather, it seems people are enjoying the game when things are working as intended.
Got aound to playing The First Descendant late last bright, for about 3 hours with a couple of friends. The technical issues are unfortunate but luckily they seem mostly limited to PC, our experience was entirely problem-free. Ratings of 4.3 on Xbox and 4.5 on PS5 on a 5 star scale are pretty decent.

Naraka: Bladepoint new CCU record(new season) - 385,770
This beats the previous CCU peak set last season on April 11th 2024 with a peak of 372,076.

Got aound to playing The First Descendant late last bright, for about 3 hours with a couple of friends. The technical issues are unfortunate but luckily they seem mostly limited to PC, our experience was entirely problem-free. Ratings of 4.3 on Xbox and 4.5 on PS5 on a 5 star scale are pretty decent.

PC has the most issues, as is always the case, but there's still a decent amount of issues on consoles.
Plus, there's plenty of platform agnostic issues with the game.

Still not too bad on Steam right now, it is nearly the peak time and CCU for the game is currently at 216,811.
This isn't that large of a DoD drop considering the current rating of the game.
Honestly the ceiling for this game's Day 1 was probably well above 250k and possibly 300k if things had gone smoothly.

Is the game that good? It seems like it has been consistently growing.

No idea, but it does have have a strong niche considering its one of the few melee oriented BR.
It's mostly played in China and other Mandarin speaking countries.

191k of the 213k reviews are Simplified Chinese which is 82.80% of all reviews.

June Hardware Survey

CPU
  • Intel: 66.80% (-0.04%)
  • AMD: 33.15% (-1.54%)
GPU
  • biggest growth was the 4060 Laptop: 3.58% (+0.74%)
  • biggest loss was the 3060: 5.66% (-0.53%)

• every (and only) Ada Lovelace card grew except the 4070, 4070Ti, 4080, and 4090
  • only growth on AMD's side was the RX 6750 Golden Rabbit Edition
  • 4060 Laptop overtakes the 3060Ti for 3rd place
  • top 10 makes up 36.03% gpus with Steam installed
    • of those 10, two are non-RT gpus (the 1650 and 1060)
      • the 1060 is from 2016
      • the 1650 is from 2019
Language
  • Simplified Chinese: 31.69% (+2.20%)
  • Korean: 1.46% (+0.13%)
  • Traditional Chinese: 1.38% (+0.05%)
  • Vietnamese: 0.14% (+0.04%)

• everything else dropped, including English by 4.86PP
OS
  • Windows: 96.61% (+0.40%)
  • OSX: 1.31% (-0.16%)
  • Linux: 2.08% (-0.24%)
    • biggest loss was "SteamOS Holo" 64 bit: 41.17% (-4.17%)
    • biggest grower was Ubuntu 24.04 LTS 64 bit: 3.03% (+3.03%)

Last edited:
The First Descendant new CCU record - 239,513
Game stayed flat at relatively the same CCU from 15 CET till 20 CET.
Could be seeing some pretty good increases this weekend when more players are able to play at the same time based on those sustained numbers past the Asia peak timezone(s).
Although this could be the 4th of July bros from the US boosting the numbers for the day.

Considering the issues the game has/had on launch day leading to a fairly mixed rating and the outages happening yesterday, that's pretty noteworthy.

I said that if the game had less issues a 250k or even 300k+ first day launch was in the cards and I feel even more confident considering what we're seeing here on Day 3.

June Hardware Survey

CPU
  • Intel: 66.80% (-0.04%)
  • AMD: 33.15% (-1.54%)
GPU
  • biggest growth was the 4060 Laptop: 3.58% (+0.74%)
  • biggest loss was the 3060: 5.66% (-0.53%)

• every (and only) Ada Lovelace card grew except the 4070, 4070Ti, 4080, and 4090
  • only growth on AMD's side was the RX 6750 Golden Rabbit Edition
  • 4060 Laptop overtakes the 3060Ti for 3rd place
  • top 10 makes up 36.03% gpus with Steam installed
    • of those 10, two are non-RT gpus (the 1650 and 1060)
      • the 1060 is from 2016
      • the 1650 is from 2019
Language
  • Simplified Chinese: 31.69% (+2.20%)
  • Korean: 1.46% (+0.13%)
  • Traditional Chinese: 1.38% (+0.05%)
  • Vietnamese: 0.14% (+0.04%)

• everything else dropped, including English by 4.86PP
OS
  • Windows96.61%+0.40%
  • OSX1.31%-0.16%
  • Linux2.08%-0.24%
    • biggest loss was "SteamOS Holo" 64 bit: 41.17% (-4.17%)
    • biggest grower was Ubuntu 24.04 LTS 64 bit: 3.03% (+3.03%)

I wonder if Wukong is driving up the Chinese numbers while everything else declines.

I wonder if Wukong is driving up the Chinese numbers while everything else declines.
there's a big difference in the chinese language drive compared to previous instances when you look at the gpu. high end gpus have grown in share with a laptop gpu taking top growth. in any other time, low end gpus that you'd find in prebuilts or a cafe can get en masse (4060s/3060s/etc) are what's on top. and they're all Lovelace

so it damn well could be Black Myth driving growth. I can't think of another chinese game with the kind of push Black Myth has

there's a big difference in the chinese language drive compared to previous instances when you look at the gpu. high end gpus have grown in share with a laptop gpu taking top growth. in any other time, low end gpus that you'd find in prebuilts or a cafe can get en masse (4060s/3060s/etc) are what's on top. and they're all Lovelace

so it damn well could be Black Myth driving growth. I can't think of another chinese game with the kind of push Black Myth has

Ya seems like there's a good chance these are correlated.

Not much going on until the weekend, with potential old games on discount getting a new CCU record.
That and Once Human will be the next new title to look at on July 9th.

-----

Civilization VII has now passed Tiny Glade to become the #15 most wishlist game on Steam.

-----

Black Myth: Wukong hit 540k followers today, it's been slowing down, but should still hit 550k in 1-2 weeks.

The game is currently #14 on the global list, although I do think it drops in the #20s when its during EU/NA times.
It is still currently #4 on the Chinese local list even after all those weeks available for pre-orders.

Just incredible longevity, especially when it comes to the local Chinese market.

-----

Rooftops & Alleys has sold 70k units in its first month(via GamesDiscover)

So we reached out to R&A’s dev, Michel Losch, who is based in Berlin, Germany, and made the game solo - using Unreal Engine 5 - in around 12 months. Losch is also a drum & bass musician under the name Millbrook, but tells me: “Game dev is now my full-time job.”

And there’s an obvious reason for that - Rooftops & Alleys sold 70,000 units on Steam in its first month, according to Losch, and is going from strength to strength, with close to 30,000 members discussing and modding the game in its Discord server.

One excerpt that made me pause for a sec:

So yes, here’s another micro-indie success story. But here’s what we think is particularly fascinating about it:

For some reason, nobody had made a (competent!) ‘vanilla’ parkour game: Steam even has a ‘parkour’ tag. But the most famous games in it - like Ghostrunner - use it only as one gameplay element. Losch think some of these titles “ultimately take the focus away from the movement itself”, and he wanted to make a game without excessive grinding for progression, but with lots of fun tricks. (Job done!)

I realize that yeah, there hasn't really been a game that really goes into the true essence of parkour that I can think of really. Looks like a niche was identified and a product was made specifically for that audience and was rewarded because of it.

-----

@Frost Ace

Hello everyone, this is Naoki Yoshida, Producer and Director of FINAL FANTASY XIV.
First, I would like to thank you all for your patience and cooperation in dealing with server congestion during the early access for Dawntrail. With your support, we were able to reach a record number of concurrent users we’ve not seen since the release of A Realm Reborn in 2013.

Of course I'm sure the FFXIV folks are looking at some of the reception online and probably a bit worried about monthly paying users over the course of the expansion. But I think this answers the question of if people would come back after Endwalker and the answer is yes.

Edit:
I do think that it's possible Endwalker would've been the highest had the servers been able to handle the load 🤣

Last edited:
Of course I'm sure the FFXIV folks are looking at some of the reception online and probably a bit worried about monthly paying users over the course of the expansion. But I think this answers the question of if people would come back after Endwalker and the answer is yes.

Edit:
I do think that it's possible Endwalker would've been the highest had the servers been able to handle the load 🤣
Yeah I'd find it hard to believe that Endwalker wouldn't be the highest were it not for the servers getting hammered. Anecdotally it definitely feels like a smaller launch but it's hard to compare when you could actually play the game this time instead of sitting in queue for 8 hours. Probably why Endwalker's Steam numbers nearly hit the peak again on the 2nd weekend.

They're abandoning the whole English patch strategy and posting a separate English listing from now on, right? I'm curious if that will improve things at all.
Based on the steam page, seems like they arent doing it anymore.

The First Descendant new CCU record - 248,149

260,930 now, a really solid opening.

I'm really mixed on this game to be really honest. The actual mechanics and gameplay are top notch, but the monetization is REALLY predatory. It has all the usual culprits, like currency packs that fall just short of anything you'll need to buy, making you always have to buy an extra pack and be left with extra currency you didn't want in the first place... and then there's the ridiculous prices themselves, like a character costing more than what a new full-price game.

I'll keep playing because my friends and husband liked it... but I don't plan on spending anything on it. And I usually don't mind spending a bit on F2P games, with my limit being ~$70 which is what I would've paid for a game if it was a premium title. But in this case it wouldn't even get me anything worthwhile, so I won't bother.

I'm really mixed on this game to be really honest. The actual mechanics and gameplay are top notch, but the monetization is REALLY predatory. It has all the usual culprits, like currency packs that fall just short of anything you'll need to buy, making you always have to buy an extra pack and be left with extra currency you didn't want in the first place... and then there's the ridiculous prices themselves, like a character costing more than what a new full-price game.
Seems pretty standard for a lot of asian and F2P games. Hell, even Destiny has a legendary monetization model...

I'm sure other people have noticed but the amount of low effort idle clicker games that want to cash out on the Steam speculative market is just running rampant.

These are just the games I could gleam from looking at the SteamDB front page and some that I recalled seeing in the last few days:

June 28th
Hamster

June 29th:
Tapple

July 1st:
Shrimp
Melon

July 4th:
Poop
Bananamama
Meh(appropriate name)

July 5th:
Fruits
Raspberry
Ducks

-----

The game does have fairly mixed reviews, what's the story there for someone on the outside of this release?

Competently made GaaS game(at least until endgame, I have no idea about the latter part of the exprience) with performance/launch issues and bugs. There's also and the usual cosmetics with the most expensive options costing an arm and a leg. But that's quite standard nowadays.

I think the fact it's a Nexon published game probably hammered its Steam rating a tad more than if it were published by another entity.

But yeah, Steam users don't run like they should.

the Black Myth push continues, with hardware bundles

funny how the gpus that aren't a part of the deal are Nvidia's low end stuff, aka, the hardware most people would be playing this on

Once Human is coming out in like 5-6 hours.
I checked the wishlist page and it actually passed Stalker 2 on the very last day and is currently at #4.

Also Dragon Ball Sparkling! Zero is currently #20 and passed Rooted.
I think the game will do very well, there's a pretty big amount of hype from long time fans and/or content that have been able to go hands on with the game at different offline events.

the Black Myth push continues, with hardware bundles

funny how the gpus that aren't a part of the deal are Nvidia's low end stuff, aka, the hardware most people would be playing this on

These things are always about driving people to buy RT pushing cards that'll run the newest hottest game.
I wonder what's the push from Nvidia in China with this game considering the amount of hype there is for the game, be it with Steam pre-orders and physical CEs and the likes.

It is still currently #3 on the China list and the pre-order trailer at SGF(and other socials) was on June 7th.
We're more than a month and it's still near the top just behind Forza Horizon 4(due to the big 80% discount) and PUBG.

It might just stay at the local Top 10 the entire time tbh.
The game comes out August 20th and usually pre-orders start pick up steam 3-4 weeks out.
I don't see a scenario where it falls out during the next 3 weeks of July. Crazy pre-launch performance for the game over there!

Another game that launches with a rather mixed reception.

-----

Imagine that in less than 2 weeks over 400 000 new people appeared in your city! What would you do with such an impressive workforce?

Frostpunk has sold over 400k units on Steam during the summer sale at a 90% discount($2.99 USD with good regional pricing)

Cool to get some numbers.

I checked and the game did not crack the top 100 from last week's data spanning from July 2nd to the 8th.
Nor in the Top 100 for the week of June 25th to July 2nd either.
That gives us a pretty good floor when it comes to sales of titles in that super cheap price range within the Top 100.

Last edited:
Not sure how interesting this is, but P3R has risen like 20 or 30 places globally to 37 worldwide and 18 in the United States on Top Sellers in like the last day or so, which seems to coincide with a small marketing push for their Steam sale through internet and youtube ads (which I've run into a few times. I dunno why they waited until now to do it - maybe this sort of thing is more effective on the last day? Could induce a sense of urgency.

I feel like on one hand that this is probably extremely common - this kind of feels like common sense to do, but I don't really recall running into them before - although that could very easily just be me not remembering running into it.

Last edited:
Nothing is really going on until next week, so its time to check the wishlists.

Monster Hunter: Wilds has overtaken Ark 2 at #5.
Yet another game that jumps over Ark 2.
I guess its not received a lot of wishlists cause the game is probably quite far from release with little to no new updates.

Slay the Spire has gone over Tiny Glade, so that officially means the game has over 1M wishlists since Tiny Glade hit 1M back in June.

Black Myth: Wukong hit 549,180 followers earlier today and is currently at 549,585.
Should cross the 550k followers mark tomorrow.
I am really curious at its current wishlist number/pre-orders.
It is still #5 on the local Chinese top sellers list.

----

Once Human new CCU record(will continue climbing till EU peak) - 145,468

Yet another game that jumps over Ark 2.
Well, I mean we haven't seen anything since Vin Diesel reveal....

Black Myth: Wukong hit 549,180 followers earlier today and is currently at 549,585.
Should cross the 550k followers mark tomorrow.
I am really curious at its current wishlist number/pre-orders.
It is still #5 on the local Chinese top sellers list.
Should probably cross 1m at launch.

Back
Top Bottom