• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

2023 STEAM Concurrent Players (CCU) Official Watch Thread

Digimon World next order reached a peak of 1.198 players...for the 2 or 3 of us that care about that game.

Digimon peak numbers on steam:

Digimon Survive----6.179
Digimon Masters online----3.830
Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth----2.404
Digimon world next order----1.198 (so far)

Lets see company of heroes 3 numbers tomorrow.
I'm not really a Digimon person. What makes this one a lot less popular than Survive?

Cyber Sleuth is a collection of two (2) fairly well liked games from 2016/2018* respectively that launched in 2019 for $50 USD (essentially $25 USD per game).
World: Next Order is a port of a very contentious game in the community from 2017* launching for $60 USD in 2023.
Survive was long anticipated and received very positively, and also launched simultaneously on PC.

*All of the launch years I mentioned are for the international release, the Japanese release is the previous year in all three (3) cases.

Gotcha, thanks for providing info. Not expecting it to raise much for the weekend then if it's just a port of a game that already wasn't initially well received.

Gotcha, thanks for providing info. Not expecting it to raise much for the weekend then if it's just a port of a game that already wasn't initially well received.
Not related to sales but I just remembered Digimon survive recieving hate by some fans when they discovered it was more a visual nobel than a tactical RPG lol

Sons of the Forest at 108k now. Seems huge, never heard of it myself, looks to be driven by streamers on Twitch.

Twitch is helping, no doubt, but the first one was a huge success for the developer. People were anticipating/looking forward to this sequel, so it's not a huge surprise that it's doing so well.

Let's see where the peak CCU ends up being for Sons of the Forest today. It's climbing exceptionally fast right now.

- #1 Global best seller
- 169k CCU right now
- Already #56 peak CCU of games of all time and still climbing
- 733k Twitch viewers

Let's see where the peak CCU ends up being for Sons of the Forest today. It's climbing exceptionally fast right now.

- #1 Global best seller
- 169k CCU right now
- Already #56 peak CCU of games of all time and still climbing
- 733k Twitch viewers
So many people trying to buy it at the same time made the Steam servers crash.

Looks like Sons of the Forest CCU peaked earlier today. Final stats for day one:

- #1 Global best seller
- 269,563 peak CCU/this ranks #31 for all titles
- 777,579 peak Twitch viewers

Looks like Sons of the Forest CCU peaked earlier today. Final stats for day one:

- #1 Global best seller
- 269,563 peak CCU/this ranks #31 for all titles
- 777,579 peak Twitch viewers
Holly molly!! Didn't know it was this big of a deal on PC o_O

Company of Heroes 3 had quite a tepid launch with 36.604 players (with mixed reception). Compared to past games:

Company of heroes----5.906
Company of heroes 2----164.688
Company of heroes 3----36.604 (so far).

Lets see if the weekend give a boost to all the games that launched this week.

It will be really interesting to see if Starfield will manage to pull out Elden Ring, Hogwarts Legacy, Cyberpunk...etc. numbers.

It will be really interesting to see if Starfield will manage to pull out Elden Ring, Hogwarts Legacy, Cyberpunk...etc. numbers.

That will be super interesting to watch. The one advantage Starfield will have over Elden Ring and Hogwarts is that Starfield will be playable through GeForce Now (assuming the Activision deal passes and it's still a big if at this point if it passes). For the people who don't have a capable PC to play Starfield, they'll now have the ability to play it through GeForce Now (again, assuming the Activision deal passes).

Holly molly!! Didn't know it was this big of a deal on PC o_O

Company of Heroes 3 had quite a tepid launch with 36.604 players (with mixed reception). Compared to past games:

Company of heroes----5.906
Company of heroes 2----164.688
Company of heroes 3----36.604 (so far).

Lets see if the weekend give a boost to all the games that launched this week.

Company of Heroes 2 was available for free at some point, those aren't the true CCU numbers. Looking at steamdb, the release numbers seemed to hover around 20k.

Regarding Starfield, Gamepass will probably muddle things somewhat. I hope it manages to go over Fallout 4 on Steam, at least.

AshenOne - Do we want to include Sons of the Forest for this thread, which was released today? It's the sequel to The Forest, which was a huge seller on PC. The last figure for The Forest had it selling 5+ million on PC. Right now, the CCU is already at 31k+ for Sons of the Forest.
Yes I will include it.
Company of Heroes 2 was available for free at some point, those aren't the true CCU numbers. Looking at steamdb, the release numbers seemed to hover around 20k.

Regarding Starfield, Gamepass will probably muddle things somewhat. I hope it manages to go over Fallout 4 on Steam, at least.
Regarding PC GP and Starfield, I think BGS games are one of those games that people invest huge amounts of time in so I fully believe that the buyers segment of customers on PC will be huge still and on a personal level I do not believe PC GP right now is big enough or working good enough to make it so that starfield barely beats Fallout 4's 472K CCU ( from back in 2015) now-a-days. I do believe however that Starfield will be PC GP's biggest game by far.

Oh and Sons of the Forest has now been added.

Last edited:

Thanks I knew something was off with CO2 numbers.

Octopath Traveler 2 reached 3.326

Ishin with a new peak of 8,415 players right now.

Just over 15k now for Octopath Traveler 2. I'm kind of amazed. I expected better than the late ports of prior Asano fame, to be sure, but this is over seven times higher than Triangle Strategy.

More to the point, perhaps, it's more than twice the first game's peak. What this ultimately foretells for the game, it's harder to say, but at minimum it's pretty clear there are folks out there who want these games for PC first and foremost.

Just over 15k now for Octopath Traveler 2. I'm kind of amazed. I expected better than the late ports of prior Asano fame, to be sure, but this is over seven times higher than Triangle Strategy.

More to the point, perhaps, it's more than twice the first game's peak. What this ultimately foretells for the game, it's harder to say, but at minimum it's pretty clear there are folks out there who want these games for PC first and foremost.
Seems like the game reached its Saturday peak.

Deserved growth for a phenomenal game and franchise, loved reading your review of it, your words definitely nail how great and important OT2 is in the JRPG landscape.

Seems like the game reached its Saturday peak.

Deserved growth for a phenomenal game and franchise, loved reading your review of it, your words definitely nail how great and important OT2 is in the JRPG landscape.

Aww geez, thanks! I appreciate that so much. It's a very special game. Great to see it doing well.

The late ports of Asano games on PC were full priced and released with very little fanfare. It's not surprising that a day and date release would do much better.

For all time peak games, Sons of the Forest has now moved all the way up to #18.

I was looking at the list of highest peaked games and noticed these:

Capcom Arcade Stadium - 488,791. #14 of all time.
Life is Strange 2 - 468,717. #16 of all time.

I doubt either of these titles went on to sell in massive numbers, yet for some reason, they have insanely high CCU's.

Edit - Forgot that Arcade Stadium is free (since it's essentially a wrapper that houses the individual games). But regardless, hard to believe that many people logged in at the same time for this.

Last edited:
Seems like final launch peaks are settled for all late February launch titles. Next up is Wo Long on the 3rd of March!

For all time peak games, Sons of the Forest has now moved all the way up to #18.

I was looking at the list of highest peaked games and noticed these:

Capcom Arcade Stadium - 488,791. #14 of all time.
Life is Strange 2 - 468,717. #16 of all time.

I doubt either of these titles went on to sell in massive numbers, yet for some reason, they have insanely high CCU's.

Edit - Forgot that Arcade Stadium is free (since it's essentially a wrapper that houses the individual games). But regardless, hard to believe that many people logged in at the same time for this.

For CAS Case , it was because it accidently activated Steam Trading Cards for the Free Wrapper itself , so if added this free game to your library and either downloaded it and launched it and left it idling or you have a Steam idling Program , you will get Free Steam trading cards for it , So people rushed to idle it to get the cards and get few cents for free , it was fixed after a day I think

Last edited:
It seems like it already managed to surpass that record, yesterday Feb 19th 2023 at 14:50 CET, with a new 1.324.800 player peak.
It beat the record AGAIN on Feb 25th with 1.349.390 players at 15:10 CET... and then once more the following day, Feb 26th with 1.355.797 at 14:50 CET!

Just looking at the "lifetime player count history" chart it seems like the game is in an almost constant growth phase, so I think it might just keep breaking it's record peak every few weeks/months.

Destiny 2 just reached a new all-time peak CCU thanks to the launch of Lightfall.
Looks to be about 25k higher than Witch Queen got to last year. Always good to see the old fans returning and a decent amount of new ones as well. It's a bit surprising to me since I remember there being a lot more 'noise' so to say about Witch Queen than I have heard thus far about Lightfall.

Also, wow, it's a 50 USD DLC. That's quite a bit higher than I thought it would be.

Destiny 2 just reached a new all-time peak CCU thanks to the launch of Lightfall.

Destiny might as well be one of the most successful MMOs at this stage with how they're able to sell expansions at high costs. I wonder if the Playstation marketing helped here, saw some Destiny ads on a Champions League game.

looks like its topping out for now at 316.7k and its the number 1 seller on steam. I definitely think the increased marketing helped a bit

In less meaningful releases news, Phantom Brigade reached 3446 players and it probably can go further on the weekend, which to me seems pretty good for what it is.

In less meaningful releases news, Phantom Brigade reached 3446 players and it probably can go further on the weekend, which to me seems pretty good for what it is.
In more meaningful releases news, Phantom Brigade reached 3435 cats and dogs rescued and it probably can go further on the weekend, which to me seems pretty good for what it is.
70d977e6c3abc5c694d8ecf98ecf2b3c2a2ad73a.png
1fea4695333851c521427292b324bfff63e2beb7.png

'Happy Day-After-Launch Day, Brigadiers! 🤖✨

Our team has been blown away by the reception to Phantom Brigade, and we'd like to take a moment to thank the community who's helped us get here as well as all of our new recruits ❤️

Check out these interesting key stats from launch day vs the past year of early access! Numbers go brrrrrrrr (TL;DR we nearly doubled the past year's worth of these numbers on launch day alone!!! ...Except for the pet stats. Poor doggos.)'

Source: Phantom Brigade Day 1 Launch Stats! (Steam Events)
Should be noted the Early Access version of the game, released 16th November 2020 was only available on Epic Games Store. While bearing in mind Phantom Brigade v1.0 launched simultaneously for Steam & EGS on 28th February 2023, it's an interesting data point, offering a snapshot into player engagement. That is, provided its a direct comparison without stats from various Steam Playtests taking place throughout 2022 included. Either way, the Day 1 launch stats on both PC storefronts are comparable to over two years of Early Access on EGS. Brace Yourself Games were developer of Cadence of Hyrule for Switch makes you wonder if they'd work on more Japanese IP, maybe one that has already been licensed abroad...Front Mission! (edit: typo)

While I understand the focus is on Steam Concurrent Players (CCU) perhaps it would be a good idea to use this discussion if people stumble across any Steam related sales figures & data points that aren't thread worthy by themselves. Case in point, Witte's Studio announced free to play game, Pirates (developer mentions offline mode in the forums) was seemingly being removed from the storefront (news item has since been deleted) provided stats comparing users & players. 261,073 - 131,113 = 129,960 meaning approximately 49.8% users hadn't played it yet.
The game Pirates has reached 261,073 users who have it in their Steam accounts now in one year, of which 131,113 users have played the game. I wish you continued fun and a good time.’

Source: Free-to-play pirate island survival sandbox, Pirates, leaving Steam soon (Delisted Games)

Last edited:
And Wo Long is now #1 on global sales charts. Let's see how this performs long term. For those who care about review scores, it's sitting at an 83 on opencritic right now. On metacritic, it's sitting at an 82 for PC.

Didn't know Wo Long was already out, on Steam it says 13h left but there's already ~20k people playing.

Anyway, for comparison:

Nioh - 10,649 peak (launched 9 months after PS version)
Nioh 2 - 41,325 peak (launched 11 months after PS version)

That's a game I could see overperforming on PC vs consoles.

Given how big Elden Ring is on PC (and still is), yup, I can definitely see it performing better on PC. The only thing that might hold it back is the performance issues that people were seeing on the PC demo for Wo Long. Hopefully, they can iron out the PC issues by/close to launch.

Didn't know Wo Long was already out, on Steam it says 13h left but there's already ~20k people playing.

Anyway, for comparison:

Apparently its a Regional rollout with this game and quite a lot of people MIGHT be VPN'ing to play it as well.
I'll put it up when its officially out in all or most regions at least.

Anyway, for comparison:

Seems like Wo Long will have no issue beating Nioh 2 in peak CCUs. Shouldn't be a shock given the increased popularity of Souls games and being a day-and-date.

Back
Top Bottom