1st Party output strategy | Discussion thread

Can’t remember the last successful paid teams shooter since OW1. Doesn’t seem like a booming market.

Happy not-E3! I'm gonna compile a list of new games each of the Big Three are publishing for the 2025 fiscal year. Will update with critical and commercial results, too.

SONY INTERACTIVE ENTERTAINMENT
Stellar Blade - April 26, 2024 - TBW.
Concord - August 23, 2024
Astro Bot - September 6, 2024
Until Dawn - Fall 2024

MICROSOFT GAMING
Senua's Saga: Hellblade II - May 21, 2024 - TBW.
Avowed - Fall 2024
Ara: History Untold - Fall 2024
Age of Mythology: Retold - 2024
Indiana Jones and the Great Circle - 2024
Microsoft Flight Simulator 2024 - 2024
Towerborne - 2024
Call of Duty: Black Ops 6 - TBA

NINTENDO
Endless Ocean Luminous - May 2, 2024 - TBW.
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door - May 23, 2024 - TBW.
Luigi's Mansion 2 HD - June 27, 2024
Nintendo World Championships: NES Edition - July 18, 2024

We'll have a much clearer picture of the lineup by the end of June!

Black text is completely unreadable with the dark theme.

What will it lead to if this doesn't lead to massive boost in Xbox hardware sales and gamepass subscriptions? It means they have used their biggest game and still can't move hardware, massive gamble if they don't succeed, because it would show that nothing can move the numbers radically for them. Maybe Spencer begged Nadella for a last chance to move Xbox hardware before Nadella fires him and puts everything on Playstation.
They are putting everything on PlayStation anyway, we know this.

What a mountain to climb for Firewalk. This type of games are not my cup of tea but in the current landscape, even if it looks and plays good, what differenciator do you have against the F2P juggernauts? The Story vignettes? The Guardians of the Galaxy vibe?

By no means I expected the incredible success of Helldivers but I could see the 'specific bait' they were using targeting a 'niche'. This wide fishing net approach seems destined to fail.

I'm very curious to see how they approach pricing with this one.

The early response and metrics for Concord look pretty bad. I know everyone wants to give PS Studios the benefit of the doubt after HD2 but even at this stage it's like night and day.

The early response and metrics for Concord look pretty bad. I know everyone wants to give PS Studios the benefit of the doubt after HD2 but even at this stage it's like night and day.
I looked at the Helldivers 2 pre-relese trailers PlayStation put out and even when people were getting tired of it being shown all the time, the game still had a really positive like to dislike ratio for it's videos. Concord could wow people with it's gameplay and turn out to be a success, like Helldivers 2. But it's got way more of an uphill battle. Helldivers 2 is a live-service shooter, but it was a good one with relatively lax monetization and it's Starship Troopers-esque gimmick is relatively unique, all things considered. Concord is a hero shooter with the additional baggage of having characters and writing we've seen before multiple times. We even have a AAA Guardians of the Galaxy game on one end and, well, Overwatch on the other end. Plus Marvel Rivals too, which was in the same presentation.

Last edited:
The main problem for Concord is that it seems to be full-price, so 70 USD on PS5.

Also really weird that it has a lowered crosshair like the older Halo games, lol. There is a reason why both Bungie and 343 Industries eventually dropped that but okay. Let's hope it can be changed in the settings, at least.

The main problem for Concord is that it seems to be full-price, so 70 USD on PS5.

Also really weird that it has a lowered crosshair like the older Halo games, lol. There is a reason why both Bungie and 343 Industries eventually dropped that but okay. Let's hope it can be changed in the settings, at least.
Wait, really? This just feels like they're sending this game out to die at that price - heck, Marvel Rivals (shown in the same presentation) is free-to-play too, and that has the additional benefit of marvel characters.

Where are you getting the idea that it's a 70$? Did something leak? If it is I hope Sony and firewalk reevaluate the pricing like they did with destruction all stars

Wait, really? This just feels like they're sending this game out to die at that price - heck, Marvel Rivals (shown in the same presentation) is free-to-play too, and that has the additional benefit of marvel characters.
Where are you getting the idea that it's a 70$? Did something leak? If it is I hope Sony and firewalk reevaluate the pricing like they did with destruction all stars
I mean, if they are selling fucking Destruction All-Stars of all things for 70 USD I'm going to assume this is 70 as well since we know it's not F2P tbh 💀💀💀

Though I hope Sony can see that the 40 USD price-point for Helldivers 2 was probably one of the reasons contributing to its huge success and price this at a similar level considering it's not F2P.

The thing is that Firewalk was founded in 2018 and Sony entered a publishing agreement with them in 2021, so I'm going to assume that this game was creatively conceived in 2018; they likely showed some kind of vertical slice to Sony and Sony decided to publish the game (and to buy the studio altogether later as well).

The problem with game development being so long these days is that the market can change a lot in a 6-year period like the one between 2018 and 2024. If you look at the competitive FPS/TPS/GAAS scene in 2018 and in 2024 you'll find some really big changes:

- Warzone exists now
- Valorant exists now
- Apex Legends exists now
- Fortnite, which initially flopped in 2017, is now a huge phenomenon and is even adding a first-person mode later this year
- Overwatch, which was in a tough spot in 2018/2019, is now recovering after the great reception to Seasons 9 and 10 of Overwatch 2 and growing in players
- Rainbow Six Siege, which was not immediateely successful, started to get really, really big after 2018/2019
- CSGO2 has given new life to CSGO (if you check Steamcharts, CSGO was averaging 500-600k players immediately before CSGO2, now it's at 900k)
- Rust, which was initially more of a survival game akin to something like ARK, has become very big since its full version came out and attracted a lot of new streamers and players who play it more as an FPS and focus on PVP
- The Modern Warfare reboot in 2019 gave new life to COD, a franchise that seemed decadent in 2018 after Infinite Warfare, WW2 and BO4

Basically what I'm trying to say is that there actually was a chance for new FPS games to enter the market around 2018/2019 after Halo 5, Battlefield V, Black Ops 4 and others were not as popular as previous games in their respective franchises, but that hole has now been completely filled by new games like Valorant, Warzone, Apex Legends and content revamps for Overwatch/CSGO/Siege.

I don't think Concord can be hugely successfull if it's priced at 70 USD as the FPS market is now much more competitive than when the game was first creatively conceived in 2018.

If Concord bombs while Helldivers 2 was successful, what lessons will Sony take from that when it comes to future GAAS strategy?
My main takeaway is that Halo (Firefight) and Gears (the original creator of the Horde mode) decreasing in popularity and the most recent COD Zombies modes being absolutely disappointing trash had made many people hungry for a good Horde-style of game and Helldivers 2 came out at the perfect time to feed them.

Obviously the game is ultimately successful because it's good, but I think that those two factors help too. I've seen many friends who used to play Gears Horde/COD Zombies buy Helldivers 2. It's absolutely the best game you can play now if you like Horde modes.

I actually think that Helldivers 2 had a specific interest in attracting Halo players, because the ODST references have been turned up a notch when compared to Helldivers 1.

So in that way and assuming that Concord is not successful, I suppose that one could think that Helldivers 2 would be a game that came as a correct response to the state of its target market, while Concord would be a game that basically didn't make much sense demand-wise when looking at its target market.

Again, this assuming Concord is not successful, which it could be.

I mean, if they are selling fucking Destruction All-Stars of all things for 70 USD I'm going to assume this is 70 as well since we know it's not F2P tbh 💀💀💀

Though I hope Sony can see that the 40 USD price-point for Helldivers 2 was probably one of the reasons contributing to its huge success and price this at a similar level considering it's not F2P.

The thing is that Firewalk was founded in 2018 and Sony entered a publishing agreement with them in 2021, so I'm going to assume that this game was creatively conceived in 2018; they likely showed some kind of vertical slice to Sony and Sony decided to publish the game (and to buy the studio altogether later as well).

The problem with game development being so long these days is that the market can change a lot in a 6-year period like the one between 2018 and 2024. If you look at the competitive FPS/TPS/GAAS scene in 2018 and in 2024 you'll find some really big changes:

- Warzone exists now
- Valorant exists now
- Apex Legends exists now
- Fortnite, which initially flopped in 2017, is now a huge phenomenon and is even adding a first-person mode later this year
- Overwatch, which was in a tough spot in 2018/2019, is now recovering after the great reception to Seasons 9 and 10 of Overwatch 2 and growing in players
- Rainbow Six Siege, which was not immediateely successful, started to get really, really big after 2018/2019
- CSGO2 has given new life to CSGO (if you check Steamcharts, CSGO was averaging 500-600k players immediately before CSGO2, now it's at 900k)
- Rust, which was initially more of a survival game akin to something like ARK, has become very big since its full version came out and attracted a lot of new streamers and players who play it more as an FPS and focus on PVP
- The Modern Warfare reboot in 2019 gave new life to COD, a franchise that seemed decadent in 2018 after Infinite Warfare, WW2 and BO4

Basically what I'm trying to say is that there actually was a chance for new FPS games to enter the market around 2018/2019 after Halo 5, Battlefield V, Black Ops 4 and others were not as popular as previous games in their respective franchises, but that hole has now been completely filled by new games like Valorant, Warzone, Apex Legends and content revamps for Overwatch/CSGO/Siege.

I don't think Concord can be hugely successfull if it's priced at 70 USD as the FPS market is now much more competitive than when the game was first creatively conceived in 2018.
Its not f2p your're right but i dont think concord is 70$ especially after the reponse it got after its reveal, sony learnt from destruction all stars, thats why helldivers was 40, sony could ve sold it at 70 given it was 7 years in developement and its budget was doubled after 2019 but they saw there wasnt much demand before its release so they settled for 40.

Eidos Montreal reveals it is supporting Playground on the new Fable:

If Perfect Dark is a hit, I can't think Microsoft would allow Crystal Dynamics/Eidos to stay in Embracer's hands, The Initiative is still an incredibly small studio and they'll want to greenlit a sequel right away.

As true as it is on the 1st party front, I'm not sure how it would go over if they tried that. For example I wonder how a version of Mad World-like game would go over. I know I'd be confused to see it.

is it? I mean we're talking about the platform that has managed Doom and Mortal Kombat.... if you're talking about first party exploits then sure, but the most you get out of Nintendo is Bayonetta.

It should be but honestly I deal with a lot of abbreviations over a day, so I asked that you spell the others out.
That's not the kind of games I meant, sorry if it wasn't clear enough. Games that are just violent are besides the point. I mean games like The Last of Us, Uncharted, Gears of War, Quantum Break, Alan Wake, God of War, etc.. Violent, brutal games that tell a story and are somewhat cinematic. That's something Nintendo entirely lacks. Not saying I want Nintendo to make those (although I think offering one game for every type of game would be a good idea), but that's something Sony and MS have that Nintendo has to rely on 3rd-parties entirely, and I can't think of many such games from 3rd-parties that released on Switch.

When I think of older franchises, IPs like "Disaster: Day of Crisis" or "Geist" could become such games. Zelda will never become that and Xenoblade feels like someone (Nintendo? Takahashi?) wouldn't allow it, with little hints and insinuations being the most MonolithSoft dares (like swiftly mentioning blade prostitution in XB2 only to never mention it again). A complete reimagining of Metroid as a cinematic 3rd-person shooter could be "mature", but fans probably wouldn't like it ... which, ironically, would be good, because sales-wise the franchise doesn't have a lot of fans for reasons.

But I doubt Nintendo will offer such games anytime soon. Switch 2 should be in a better system to receive 3rd-party games of that sort, though.

Still early days for Concord, and there's still a beta for them to generate interest in the game. But so far it doesn't look like a paid competitive shooter is a good idea on PC.

sAN9QRD.png

Still early days for Concord, and there's still a beta for them to generate interest in the game. But so far it doesn't look like a paid competitive shooter is a good idea on PC.

sAN9QRD.png
The comparison won't be favorable at all, but out of curiosity how did Helldivers 2 do by comparison?

The comparison won't be favorable at all, but out of curiosity how did Helldivers 2 do by comparison?
I haven't checked the sales data, but Helldivers 2 had about 25,000 followers when it was the same number of weeks before release, so 50x more than Concord.

The comparison I went to check first was Marvel Rivals, because it was shown at the same showcase and is a similar style of game, and... man. As much as I dislike Marvel, it's hard to deny the brand's power when executed well.

rfTpZTD.png

That's something Nintendo entirely lacks. Not saying I want Nintendo to make those (although I think offering one game for every type of game would be a good idea), but that's something Sony and MS have that Nintendo has to rely on 3rd-parties entirely, and I can't think of many such games from 3rd-parties that released on Switch.
If Nintendo had the desire to fill out that part of the market with itself, it would have done so. Years ago. I think that Nintendo has rightly assumed that they can do something else and be just fine. You are right to say that Nintendo lack that, but honestly looking over it's history, that lack seems deliberate. I doubt that they want to be in that part of the market and nothing that the company has done so far suggests that it is a part of it's ambition.
Violent, brutal games that tell a story and are somewhat cinematic

You know it's funny, I was talking to a pal of mind about the Summer Games Fest and the odd lack of buzz around it. He mentioned something that is interesting to me.... that he tires of the push to cinematic games. I can somewhat feel him on that because personally, I don't really care for it, but he at a point that it feels it's more than a little rote in the AAA space that alot of games seems to want to have this cinematic feel to them. And the cost (both in money spend and hardware required) associated with it.
He has a point.

Maybe it is me, maybe it's my "old" age, but I look at "Violent, brutal games that tell a story" and yet a lot of them (the ones that I have come across, anyways) seem to lack maturity to me. To me their is a huge difference to a story that is just brutal and violent and telling a story that is violent and brutal. If that makes sense. I tend to see alot of the latter because the former is REALLY hard to do and do well. The other thing is that you see a lot of the latter in the market because many teams, studios, companies chase that kind of success. I don't know, those kind of games have a place but I am not sure that the world is prepared for that all the time.

If Nintendo had the desire to fill out that part of the market with itself, it would have done so. Years ago. I think that Nintendo has rightly assumed that they can do something else and be just fine. You are right to say that Nintendo lack that, but honestly looking over it's history, that lack seems deliberate. I doubt that they want to be in that part of the market and nothing that the company has done so far suggests that it is a part of it's ambition.
Oh absolutely, there's nothing to indicate that Nintendo NEEDS that type of game of their own. It's just my personal desire to have Nintendo be ready for all popular genres. They're also missing their own WRPG-franchise for that matter (I'm still sad about Raven Blade not happening, *boomer cope*).
You know it's funny, I was talking to a pal of mind about the Summer Games Fest and the odd lack of buzz around it. He mentioned something that is interesting to me.... that he tires of the push to cinematic games. I can somewhat feel him on that because personally, I don't really care for it, but he at a point that it feels it's more than a little rote in the AAA space that alot of games seems to want to have this cinematic feel to them. And the cost (both in money spend and hardware required) associated with it.
He has a point.

Maybe it is me, maybe it's my "old" age, but I look at "Violent, brutal games that tell a story" and yet a lot of them (the ones that I have come across, anyways) seem to lack maturity to me. To me their is a huge difference to a story that is just brutal and violent and telling a story that is violent and brutal. If that makes sense. I tend to see alot of the latter because the former is REALLY hard to do and do well. The other thing is that you see a lot of the latter in the market because many teams, studios, companies chase that kind of success. I don't know, those kind of games have a place but I am not sure that the world is prepared for that all the time.
If I try to understand, I assume you mean the difference between a story that's all brutal and violent and story that happens to have brutal and violent elements, but tells a great story otherwise? I fully agree. Heck, if we're going there, I don't want any traditionally brutal and violent games at all. Imo a truly mature game is something like The Last Guardian, a game that's truly creative, has great gameplay and tells a story without any bs. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories is also one of those rare mature games imo. And the best games are those that allow you to complete them without using violence, despite that option being there. Mirror's Edge was great for that. Deus Ex: Human Revolution sucked in that regard, because it forced you to fight during boss fights, only let you avoid regular enemies. Unfortunately, the majority of gamers as well as the industry seem to desire and celebrate violent games.

I assume you mean the difference between a story that's all brutal and violent and story that happens to have brutal and violent elements, but tells a great story otherwise?
That's not quite what I'm trying to convey.... The best way to look at it is if you are writing a book, the brutality and violence of the story has to be a matter of course. Without it you can't really tell the story, partly because it loses all context.
For a lot of games, that's not how they go about storytelling. What I tend to find is that a lot of games tend to put in something that is brutal and violent simply because they can. That is a bit of a problem in my eyes, because then there's no context at all plus it comes off as incredibly juvenile.

Granted then there's those games that go overboard (ie: Manhunt), but very rarely do those games ever hit mainstream.

In many ways it's kind of like swearing in games.... Maturity is a lot more than just saying f*** all the time. Games have a tendency to approach language like that.
They're also missing their own WRPG-franchise for that matter (I'm still sad about Raven Blade not happening, *boomer cope*).
I mean they got enough traction to get The Witcher on the thing, I think it's just something that Nintendo has assume that they're not really capable of doing so they'll let third parties do it. Honestly the only company that I know of that's capable of that in Japan happens to be From Software.... But they don't have a role playing game focus, despite nailing the aesthetic. Anyway I don't think Nintendo has any communication with From Software.

Last edited:
Sony provides explanation for why one of their games is coming to Switch.

“We’re trying to bring in as broad an audience as possible,” Guerilla Games narrative director James Windeler told Engadget. “The collaboration with Switch, that’s an incredibly unique opportunity … it will really help bring in a family-friendly audience.”
Lego Horizon Adventures might be Sony’s most important game of the year (engadget.com)

“It’s connected to our broader goal of making this game for everybody,” Windeler says. “I can play this game on my couch with my wife at home on PS5. I can play with my hardcore Horizon friends on the internet with PC. But one of the things I’m most excited about is that I have these two nieces, 11 and 8, who I have not really had a lot of opportunities to play the games I have made with. This is definitely a game that appeals to a younger audience, and the Switch is a big part of that. The Switch brings in a family-friendly audience. The control scheme is designed to work on the smaller Joy-Con controllers. It’s part of getting as many people introduced to the characters as possible.”

Lego Horizon Adventures is crafted by parents, for parents | Digital Trends

"I can't comment on the broader Sony strategy," Windeler evades, when I asked him about that, but explains that the team's focus was to try to "broaden the appeal and make it approachable." That of course informs the decision to bring the game to the Nintendo Switch, a surprise detail from its unveiling last week. "The Switch was kind of perfect for that. The control scheme is simple, it's designed to be played on a Nintendo Joy-Con, and of course they have a very family-friendly audience, so it's just a really good fit."

The Switch, Windeler continued, "is absolutely there to help us bring in and get that younger audience and we're so excited about that - but the game itself does also appeal to Horizon fans who expect a certain amount of tactical combat experience, so that's in there as well."
Lego Horizon Adventures is a perfect match - a breezy, light-hearted approach the series has perhaps always needed | Eurogamer.net

Last edited:
If that is true it seems Sony is much more leniant to their studios getting to make such decisions. No chance that a Nintendo owned studio would be allowed that, imagine Monolith Soft asking Nintendo if they can put the next Xenoblade on PS5 in addition to the Switch 2.

If that is true it seems Sony is much more leniant to their studios getting to make such decisions. No chance that a Nintendo owned studio would be allowed that, imagine Monolith Soft asking Nintendo if they can put the next Xenoblade on PS5 in addition to the Switch 2.
Are you really comparing Nintendo putting one of the most prestige franchises on other platforms versus a licensed game that has no deeper attachment to Sony? Come on ...

Are you really comparing Nintendo putting one of the most prestige franchises on other platforms versus a licensed game that has no deeper attachment to Sony? Come on ...
Sony attaches quite a bit of importance to Horizon, it is one of their most important franchises and the one with most projects happening at the moment. It is arguable it is not just as important as Xenoblade is to Nintendo, but even more important.

So less Lego mandate (read:none) and more just normal publisher decision.
Sony attaches quite a bit of importance to Horizon, it is one of their most important franchises and the one with most projects happening at the moment. It is arguable it is not just as important as Xenoblade is to Nintendo, but even more important.
I wouldn’t say arguable. Horizon is definitely a pillar PlayStation franchise. Xenoblade is not on the level of Zelda, Mario, AC, Splatoon to Nintendo.

So less Lego mandate (read:none) and more just normal publisher decision.

I wouldn’t say arguable. Horizon is definitely a pillar PlayStation franchise. Xenoblade is not on the level of Zelda, Mario, AC, Splatoon to Nintendo.
If MonolithSoft left Nintendo, Nintendo would lose a lot of fans and prestige.

If Sony "lost" a LEGO-game, Sony-fans would shrug and go on with their life.

If Sony "lost" a LEGO-game, Sony-fans would shrug and go on with their life.
Fans' feelings are irrelevant, what matters is what the company thinks of the IP and what resources it's devoting to it. I look at Sony and see that after releasing 2 very expensive Horizon games they have plans to release:

Lego Horizon Adventure (a multiplatform spinoff game)
Horizon TV show in collaboration with Netflix
Horizon 3
Horizon game with NCSoft

It's important to Sony in a way few other games are.

I agree with Guerilla/Sony on porting Lego Horizon to Switch.

At worst, there will be basically no cannibalization from PS5, at best they may convince some people to try the "real" Horizon on PC or PS5.
In any case there is an increase of mindshare for the IP.

Depending on the quality of the product, I can see this doing pretty decently on PC especially with how Paradox has been fumbling about in recent times. People are craving some new quality 4X.

Glowing previews everywhere for Astro Bot.

"Serious GoTY contender"

Team Asobi is cooking

Though its reveal trailer showed huge promise, I still wondered how capable Asobi would be at turning a tight 4-5 hour experience into a full game – concern that was obliterated after playing it. Just absolutely bursting with imagination and mechanics. Serious GoTY contender

Last edited by a moderator:
In the grand scheme of things, that might not matter.
I mean at this point, MonolithSoft has become the new Next Level Games. Their association with Nintendo is such that I really do question if they want to leave. That is a question that I would have to leave to them.

In the grand scheme of things, that might not matter.
I mean at this point, MonolithSoft has become the new Next Level Games. Their association with Nintendo is such that I really do question if they want to leave. That is a question that I would have to leave to them.
Did I miss any news? MonolithSoft wants to leave Nintendo? Link?

"Serious GoTY contender"

Team Asobi is cooking

Thank the gaming gods the Switch 2/Mario got delayed because the discourse would be unbearable. Now instead there’s a bit of
camaraderie because of Horizon Lego.

I’m glad Team Asobi get’s to shine on their own without even a bigger SIE franchise to overshadow it.

Then why are you insinuating it? I'm confused.
They're insinuating that Monolith (the staff anyway) would gain nothing by leaving Nintendo. If anything, the industry would probably be more hostile to them. I don't see anyone else taking a shot at a Xenoblade styled game with nintendo-like resources to back them up

Then why are you insinuating it? I'm confused.
I am not, what I am saying is that any choice that MonolithSoft has is one that MonolithSoft is going to make, much like it was with Next Level Games.
It took NLG putting up a "for sale" sign for Nintendo to snap them up... I suspect that until something like that MonolithSoft will be free to do as it chooses.
I don't see a reason for them to refuse to keep choosing to work with Nintendo.

I am not, what I am saying is that any choice that MonolithSoft has is one that MonolithSoft is going to make, much like it was with Next Level Games.
It took NLG putting up a "for sale" sign for Nintendo to snap them up... I suspect that until something like that MonolithSoft will be free to do as it chooses.
This is the heart of the confusion. Monolithsoft and xenoblade are all already owned by Nintendo. It is a first party Nintendo studio.

Nintendo already owns Monolith Soft (like 95% of it) so it doesn’t really matter what their employees want or not. The only real changes that could happen are the remaining 5% being bought out by Nintendo, or it getting either sold off or spun off at some point in the future (which is unlikely at the moment).

Also I don’t really see how they and Guerrilla Games/Horizon can be compared; Horizon is clearly much more important to Sony than Xenoblade is to Nintendo (hence all the cross media efforts for the former), and Monolith does a lot of work for the likes of Zelda or AC that Guerrilla doesn’t do for Sony’s other big names. They’re in completely different situations.

In this very momwnt, between the LEGO spinoff. The LEGO set products, the TV show and the multiplatform game...plus the obvious Horizon 3 game and the Definitive edition for PC apparently leaked..I would say Horizon is at least among the most valuable of Sony franchises

History's mantle is yours to claim. How will you rule? Ara: History Untold is coming September 24, 2024.

September is stacked. Age of Mythology Retold, Stalker 2, Persona 3 Reload The Answer, Reynatis, and this. 4 out of 5 are also day one Game Pass. I'm eating well hot damn

Back
Top Bottom