• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Community Discussion and Moderation Feedback

Quick question, I could swear this was discussed earlier but I’m gonna ask it here just to be sure:

Someone on another forum I frequent asked if I could share the salescharts on a more regular basis in the designated thread. I’m open to it but I always want to make sure IB is credited. Is that OK yes or no?
I don't think there's much we could do against that, even if we wanted to :)

Question: Was @Laguna permabanned?

It's always sad to see someone who posts a lot get banned suddenly. From his last posting, it looks like he wasn't banned for writing anything seriously bad per se, but for repeatedly ignoring mod feedback to tone it down? I wished there'd be a better solution to handle this rather than banning a user forever. If I may propose something: escalating timed bans. first ban is a week, second ban 2 weeks, third ban is a month, 4th ban is a quarter, 5th ban is a year, and so on. Eventually the user will either get it or be banned so much of the time that the issue resolves itself.

But that's just my 2cents. I have no closer affiliation with Laguna and would propose this same above idea for any of IB's active users who suddenly vanishes due to a ban. Now, if I missed him posting some crass slur or anything, forget what I wrote :>

It's always sad to see someone who posts a lot get banned suddenly. From his last posting, it looks like he wasn't banned for writing anything seriously bad per se, but for repeatedly ignoring mod feedback to tone it down? I wished there'd be a better solution to handle this rather than banning a user forever. If I may propose something: escalating timed bans. first ban is a week, second ban 2 weeks, third ban is a month, 4th ban is a quarter, 5th ban is a year, and so on. Eventually the user will either get it or be banned so much of the time that the issue resolves itself.

But that's just my 2cents. I have no closer affiliation with Laguna and would propose this same above idea for any of IB's active users who suddenly vanishes due to a ban. Now, if I missed him posting some crass slur or anything, forget what I wrote :>
It is a one week ban.

Laguna got several warnings since they joined IB, 5 in total, the last one was last Friday. The problem is their tone, too aggresive and that's a point they should improve on. Otherwise we'll keep escalating the sanctions.

There is a banned users list where you can see how long someone is banned.

It is a one week ban.

Laguna got several warnings since they joined IB, 5 in total, the last one was last Friday. The problem is their tone, too aggresive and that's a point they should improve on. Otherwise we'll keep escalating the sanctions.
Thanks, that sounds more than fair <3

Edit: Good moderation. Needs to be added :D

I could start a gaming leaks/spoiler thread if we want to keep the not-E3 spoilers and potential leaks off the Media Create thread.

Yes, thanks you can go ahead !

Put it in the Hangouts subforum ;)
Ok, done.

Media Create thread continues to go off-topic despite multiple requests by me, other members & moderators. Please consider thread bans & temporarily closing Media Create discussions for hours or even days if that's what it takes, advising people to use the Xenoblade 3 sales prediction thread or post their thoughts on the series at famiboards instead.

Also, I noticed that staff member @Maki / @Star Ocean requested account closure, is there anything the community ought to know about this & if it impacts the forum going forward?

Media Create thread continues to go off-topic despite multiple requests by me, other members & moderators. Please consider thread bans & temporarily closing Media Create discussions for hours or even days if that's what it takes, advising people to use the Xenoblade 3 prediction thread or post on famiboards instead.

Also, I noticed that staff member @Maki / @Star Ocean requested account closure, is there anything the community ought to know about this & if it impacts the forum going forward?
Thanks for the feedback. The first part of your post is currently in discussion within the mod team to clarify the rules and the escalation in front of these situations. It is a point we are taking very seriously.

For the second point, Star Ocean took a step back several months back for personal reasons, the forum being a huge time sink. They went back to being active a week ago but eventually asked for a ban for privacy/personal reasons. We all have a personal life beside the forum and we respect their wish.

Media Create thread continues to go off-topic despite multiple requests by me, other members & moderators. Please consider thread bans & temporarily closing Media Create discussions for hours or even days if that's what it takes, advising people to use the Xenoblade 3 sales prediction thread or post their thoughts on the series at famiboards instead.

To add to the above and for anyone worried, they stepped away from admin duties since the forum was opened to the public so there won't be any impact to the forum. We still talk through other channels as well and are on good terms.

Many thanks for both of your replies. To be clear, I requested an update in the interests of transparency on which this forum was founded rather than prying into anyone's private affairs. I wish @Star Ocean all the best in their future endeavours (hope the option to return is available for those who request account closures, even if only for a certain period of time).

With regards to off-topic discussion, in case other members are reading, please offer your thoughts as well. For what its worth I believe its ok to bring in other topics of discussion if it happens organically to keep things interesting, provided it eventually ties back into sales data.

The problem that we're having is when you have pages of irrelevant debates that have been repeated over weeks if not months. Hopefully we can all do better going forward so that staff members don't have to get involved as I enjoy posting here & learning more about how the business side of things influences the decisions being made in the games industry.

As far as the off-topic discussion is concerned, I think it stems from the lack of alternatives. I'd like to think there's a decent community of people here with either knowledge of the market or at least a desire to learn more to help frame their thinking. Whereas you go to /v/ and it's plagued with spammers outright hostile to sales data, Famiboards/Era is nothing but zero-value posts of in-jokes and people looking for reasons to be offended, Redditors are trying to farm upvotes, etc.

Sometimes people just want to shoot the breeze and if options are talking into a void or repeating arguments with informed people, I'm not surprised the latter happens and the MC threads are the most active. Not entirely sure how to solve it other than individual posters just need to regulate themselves better.

@Jaysc Regarding the report function not being used, in my case, decided to raise my concerns publicly so others can see them. Seemed in line with the below part of the OP about wanting to discuss the overall direction of the community. With that said, actions speak louder than words so I'll leave it at that, as its better for me to post than protest to get a topic back on track.
This Thread
The Community Discussion And Moderation Feedback thread is a place where members can discuss the status of the forum and the community, suggest changes, provide feedback to moderation decisions, and give their general thoughts on what Install Base is and what they would like it to be.
As far as the off-topic discussion is concerned, I think it stems from the lack of alternatives. I'd like to think there's a decent community of people here with either knowledge of the market or at least a desire to learn more to help frame their thinking. Whereas you go to /v/ and it's plagued with spammers outright hostile to sales data, Famiboards/Era is nothing but zero-value posts of in-jokes and people looking for reasons to be offended, Redditors are trying to farm upvotes, etc.

Sometimes people just want to shoot the breeze and if options are talking into a void or repeating arguments with informed people, I'm not surprised the latter happens and the MC threads are the most active. Not entirely sure how to solve it other than individual posters just need to regulate themselves better.

Never posted on those forums & would rather not comment on them as cross-site drama benefits no-one. Especially as from checking a link posted here recently I noticed regulars also post on Famiboards. However while looking at sales data from last year via the Media Create archive threads I read what happened on Resetera that led to people joining Install Base. So I take your point about wanting a place to discuss games & sales with like minded people. But I think everyone would agree it got a little out of hand over the weekend.

As to providing constructive ideas going forward, perhaps encouraging people to use the 'Start a new conversation function' on this forum. It would enable people to continue discussions here without threads going too off-topic as multiple people can take part in group DMs. Can always post anything sales related that comes up afterwards. Worth a thought.

Uh... Just wondering, is this function really supposed to be available to normal members?
Xenforo doesn't have an official way to restrict BB code to member roles (there's a paid addon for it). If you know the code then you can use it. As the name implies, I wouldn't use it unless you are a mod for obvious reasons.

Xenforo doesn't have an official way to restrict BB code to member roles (there's a paid addon for it). If you know the code then you can use it. As the name implies, I wouldn't use it unless you are a mod for obvious reasons.
Ah okay. Btw it's not even that I knew the code, I just saw the button in the UI next to horizontal lines and wondered what it was (but now it's gone, so I guess you fixed it)

Last edited:
Is there any way to potentially put up some sort of banner or announcement of when financial reports are released and/or a thread is created? I've been a but preoccupied with things irl and almost missed the Capcom report. Didn't seem to generate much cross thread discussion outside of the Sunbreak 3.5m update, but that already had its own designated thread.

Just wanted to quickly share that Nintendojitsu is our 5th perma ban (on top of 4 accounts closure), after TEW, Tazu, Glory and Vietbitter

He was less egregious than the former 4 above but his posting style has always been a problem from the start, his posting history is there for everyone to see and it was always 1 line posts that either brought nothing to the discussion or were snarky/trollish post that occasionnaly derailed the thread.

This perma comes after
  • 19 reports from members (only 5 members have more, amongst which 2 are permabanned)
  • 6 warnings (current record holder with two others)
  • 3 temp bans
  • 2 mods PM
  • 0 improvement from the beginning

For the two mods PM, the first one didn't get any reaction besides a "like", the second one which was today and was sort of a last chance only got the following reply

Interesting

At that point we feel like we showed more than enough patience with this member and the next step was a permaban.
It's not something that is pleasant to do but Nintendojitsu had plenty of occasions to change this posting behaviour and didn't seem willing to do so at all, that's too bad but the forum will just continue with 1 less member.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's say "This user's profile is not available"
Is it normal?
I can't see the profiles of banned users either, so I guess it's normal.

They've been on my Ignoring list for a while so it's not really shocking/surprising to me.

It's say "This user's profile is not available"
Is it normal?

I can't see the profiles of banned users either, so I guess it's normal.

They've been on my Ignoring list for a while so it's not really shocking/surprising to me.
Xenforo doesn't have an option to view banned user's profile. There may be a way around it but I will need to look into it.

Xenforo doesn't have an option to view banned user's profile. There may be a way around it but I will need to look into it.
The link provided doesn't work, but I can still view their messages by going to the banned users list, clicking their name to up a preview box and then going directly to messages.

The link provided doesn't work, but I can still view their messages by going to the banned users list, clicking their name to up a preview box and then going directly to messages.
A quicker and easier way to do it is just by using the search option, leave the keyword space blank and manually input the name of the banned user to search all their messages.

@Fisico Really appreciate the detail on the decision making process. Do members have a chance to know how many reports we've received (not who they're from) before getting warned so people have a chance to do better. Not asking for a friend, I'd want to know, perhaps if you get a certain number of posts reported you receive automatic notifications to keep us on our Ps & Qs.
Is there any way to potentially put up some sort of banner or announcement of when financial reports are released and/or a thread is created? I've been a but preoccupied with things irl and almost missed the Capcom report. Didn't seem to generate much cross thread discussion outside of the Sunbreak 3.5m update, but that already had its own designated thread.
Suspect people are waiting for the Capcom Platinum Titles to be updated before commenting beyond the Monster Hunter Sunbreak numbers. It'd be neat to have the full list of financial events on the main page much like Gematsu / Game Industry upcoming events. But the information is available thanks to @DomsPlaying on Working Casual or tweets by @DeekeTweak - advise following the Financial Results thread if you haven't already done so (it's where both of those were recently posted). Admins / Mods - any update on Installbase Q&A Sessions, still want ideas by DM?

Last edited:
Suspect people are waiting for the Capcom Platinum Titles to be updated before commenting beyond the Monster Hunter Sunbreak numbers. It'd be neat to have the full list of financial events on the main page much like Gematsu / Game Industry upcoming events. But the information is available thanks to @DomsPlaying on Working Casual or tweets by @DeekeTweak - advise following the Financial Results thread if you haven't already done so (it's where both of those were recently posted). Admins / Mods - any update on Installbase Q&A Sessions, still want ideas by DM?
I have, but it seems like I missed the latest batch of new posts since Sunday. @Jaysc could it be possible to have a new notification/reminder to check threads with new posts to be sent after a certain time period? I think the way it works now is that you get one as soon as there's a new post, but no follow up.

@Fisico Really appreciate the detail on the decision making process. Do members have a chance to know how many reports we've received (not who they're from) before getting warned so people have a chance to do better. Not asking for a friend, I'd want to know, perhaps if you get a certain number of posts reported you receive automatic notifications to keep us on our Ps & Qs.

Reports come from others members, sometimes there are reports for reasons others than "moderation" (so not for some bad reason), sometimes there are self reports, so the exact number of reports on one member might not be exactly reflective on how good/bad they behave on the forum.

Reports pop up as notification on top of the website for mods/admin so basically we cannot not see them when browsing IB
The majority of reports are also dismissed without any (direct) action, that was the case for the first ones on Nintendojitsu for example, but as they kept piling up the pattern became obvious and we began the list of sanctions mentiond above

If you're getting warned there's a 99% chance you had a report, although the number of reports on a post is not necessary representative of the severity of the "offense" it was, sometimes an horrible post will only get 1 report and be quickly actionned because a mod was available at the right time, sometimes a milder offense will get a few reports (not a couple) because it took 6h for a mod to notice it.

The number of reports on members is only known by the staff by default and I can understand why, the point is probably exactly to avoid members compare their own data between each other, especially when the function can be abused (it's rare but can happen) and it can mess up the data, in any case members with a notable amount of reports on them are most likely all aware of that because they had warnings/bans/we reached out to them, the more they have those the more they had reports on them as there's obviously a strong correlation.

If you didn't have a single warning, ban, mod PM, you can easily guess the amount of reports there were on you so far :p

Random stats
  • 589 total reports
  • 138 members got at least a report
  • 54 only got one report
  • 26 only got two reports
  • 14 members got 40% of the total number of reports

• 106 warnings
  • 54 members got at least a warning
  • 29 members only got one warning
  • The 10 most warned users all got banned one way or another (perma, temporary, thread)

And of course there's a correlation between number of reports, number of warnings, bans, and being ignored by others members

Double post, thread title to be changed, thread to be locked (in case two threads about the same subject were created a few minutes apart) comes to mind, there might be others reasons that I forgot.
Ah, makes sense. Thanks.

Sounds like a license for people to continue to make imaginary sales "opinions" and "assertions" that only exist to protect their existing worldview.

Well if the moderation says so, then don't be surprised if you embolden people who will make up stuff going forward.
I don't think you realize how antagonizing you are toward other posters. You have already been reported 4 times by several members today and the reasons used are valid.

There's not only one worldview, if you have issues confronting yours to others in a respectful way then I am not sure what you gain by discussing in a forum. It is up to you now Fiend.

I don't think you realize how antagonizing you are toward other posters. You have already been reported 4 times by several members today and the reasons used are valid.

There's not only one worldview, if you have issues confronting yours to others in a respectful way then I am not sure what you gain by discussing in a forum. It is up to you.

Ok, so it's an request to leave. I can do that.

The level of discussion here is pathetically low anyway outside of specific posters. Arguebly worse than it was in Resetera.

Lots of quibbling about what words to use and how not to hurt feelings, but not enough examination of the poor underlying logic beneath the opinions masquerading as personal desire or console warring (be it from Nintendo fanboys or Sony fanboys).

Ok, so it's an request to leave. I can do that.

The level of discussion here is pathetically low anyway outside of specific posters. Lots of quibbling about what words to use and how not to hurt feelings, but not enough examination of the poor underlying logic beneath the opinions (be it Nintendo fanboys it Sony fanboys).
As I said, it is up to you.

You clearly put pure logic above being tactful/respectful while we believe it is impossible to talk about deeper topics without being considerate of the poster you are arguing with.

So it does seem we are fundamentally not aligned on how to conduct a discussion, better to leave it at that.

I'm not sure how it happened, but sometimes when I copy and paste my spoiler texts, the spoiler tag doubles.
Edit:These copies do not appear until I share what I wrote.
Edit2:I probably found the reason, maybe it's normal. Most likely the reason is spoiler tag is bold etc.

Last edited:
As I was asking another member when we'd get the next CESA numbers, I had this thought: It'd be great if IB used the calendar feature that I know from similar forums using this software to show all users important dates. Stuff that's known long in advance, like FY reports, CESA numbers or even E3 events, etc.. Would give us a place to easily access this kind of information.

Just a spontaneous idea. I'm not scared to keep asking users, lol.

As I was asking another member when we'd get the next CESA numbers, I had this thought: It'd be great if IB used the calendar feature that I know from similar forums using this software to show all users important dates. Stuff that's known long in advance, like FY reports, CESA numbers or even E3 events, etc.. Would give us a place to easily access this kind of information.

A calendar thread? Reports/news/etc? 🤔

That's a great idea.

Do you think it would be a good idea to add the Install Base logo to our graphs? Many get reuploaded on other sites, often without mention of this forum. The lack of credit bothers me too but what I'm really getting at is that I think we could take this as an opportunity to make more people aware that this forum exists and offers unique quality content.

I can see two downsides:
1. No matter how well-placed and discreet the logo is, it'll make any graph ever so slightly worse by adding a visual element that doesn't have anything to do with the data, taking a bit of the eye's focus away from what actually matters.
2. Adding the Install Base logo to a graph has a lot of weight as it would act like a stamp of approval on its quality, which might not reflect the view of this site's owners or overall community.

So with that in mind, any thoughts on this idea?

Do you think it would be a good idea to add the Install Base logo to our graphs? Many get reuploaded on other sites, often without mention of this forum. The lack of credit bothers me too but what I'm really getting at is that I think we could take this as an opportunity to make more people aware that this forum exists and offers unique quality content.

I can see two downsides:
1. No matter how well-placed and discreet the logo is, it'll make any graph ever so slightly worse by adding a visual element that doesn't have anything to do with the data, taking a bit of the eye's focus away from what actually matters.
2. Adding the Install Base logo to a graph has a lot of weight as it would act like a stamp of approval on its quality, which might not reflect the view of this site's owners or overall community.

So with that in mind, any thoughts on this idea?
I almost wanted to ask if you have a Resetera account when someone posted one of your latest graphs over there, even in the OP.

Thought about adding a logo of sorts, too, but as you say, an IB-logo would create affiliation which IB-owners might not want. Difficult.

Thought about adding a logo of sorts, too, but as you say, an IB-logo would create affiliation which IB-owners might not want. Difficult.
It could also be a problem for the graph creators, if they decided to publish graphs on other sites. But only a minor problem, since these could be regenerated with different logos.

Instead of an IB logo, why not a personalized "name logo"?
Tokuiten / PillFencer / Ystad / WhoEver in a stylish font, very light gray (assuming white background) behing the graphs and a small but distinct in one corner?

And for some graphs, which IB overlords would approve of, maybe some kind of Nintendo IB Seal of Approval? (half joking)

It could also be a problem for the graph creators, if they decided to publish graphs on other sites. But only a minor problem, since these could be regenerated with different logos.

Instead of an IB logo, why not a personalized "name logo"?
Tokuiten / PillFencer / Ystad / WhoEver in a stylish font, very light gray (assuming white background) behing the graphs and a small but distinct in one corner?

And for some graphs, which IB overlords would approve of, maybe some kind of Nintendo IB Seal of Approval? (half joking)
People who see reposts are less likely to google a user who could be on dozens of different websites and might not even have a lot of content similar to the one that caught their eyes. A website with a clearly related name and logo like Install Base however attracts much more curiosity. That's why I personally don't care as much about credit to myself, I mainly suggested this as a way to bring attention to IBF.
I almost wanted to ask if you have a Resetera account when someone posted one of your latest graphs over there, even in the OP.
I'm permabanned lol.

Last edited:
People who see reposts are less likely to google a user who could be on dozens of different websites and might not even have a lot of content similar to the one that caught their eyes. A website with a clearly related name and logo like Install Base however attracts much more curiosity. That's why I personally don't care as much about credit to myself, I mainly suggested this as a way to bring attention to IBF.

I'm permabanned lol.
I see, well, then it is up to IB to give clearance and guidelines. Maybe IB designer(s?) could produce a template or two?

I see, well, then it is up to IB to give clearance and guidelines. Maybe IB designer(s?) could produce a template or two?
I was thinking the official header in one of the corners is probably good enough
1r4gWBe.png

Back
Top Bottom