• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Sega output strategy | Discussion thread

The game seems like it’s an early-development version in which they have added randomly Sonic to a ‘X game made in UE4 engine’ type of world

Sega will be at Twitchcon Amsterdam (July 16-17).

EDIT: Sega's Pride Month statement. They are one of the more LGBTQ+ friendly Japanese companies and support their LGBTQ+ employees year-round.

Last edited:
Mega Drive Mini 2 announced. Based on Model 2, includes Mega CD games. Releases October 27, 9980 Yen.

Confirmed games:
Silpheed (Mega CD)
Shining Force CD (Mega CD)
Sonic CD (Mega CD)
Mansion of Hidden Souls (Mega CD)
Popful Mail (Mega CD)
Virtua Racing (MD)
Bonanza Bros (MD)
Shining In The Darkness (MD)
Thunder Force IV (MD)
Magical Taruruuto-kun (MD)
And...
Fantasy Zone (brand new Mega Drive port of the arcade game).

Next MD Mini 2 reveals will be three weeks from now 6/24 20:00 JST.

EDIT: No official announcement from Sega of America or Sega Europe, but they are intending an international release. Emulation by M2. M2 hasn't figured out 32X emulation yet with its dual processors, Saturn could be after they figure out 32X since Saturn also has dual processors.

Last edited:

Sonic Central streaming tomorrow at 9AM Pacific or Noon Eastern.

Sonic Central was a big nothing stream. In other Sonic news, it has been confirmed that not all music in Sonic 3 and Knuckles is able to be used in Sonic Origins so they're adapting 1993 prototype music to be included.

Was looking at how good Sega games have been doing on mobile

The Hatsune Miku game has been continuing to bring a ludicrous amount of revenue. It absolutely dwarves Puyo Puyo despite that game bringing in almost $2 million a month too. Beyond that, it is impressive that Chain Chronicle continues to make decent money despite it being nearly 9 years old.

If the public doesn't understand something, maybe you haven't explained it that well. Sonic Frontiers might become a case study in how not to message about your game to the public.

Most people seem to think its Ecco the Dolphin based on the audio? I'm not so sure lol.
Something from Sega Europe?

Most people seem to think its Ecco the Dolphin based on the audio? I'm not so sure lol.
Something from Sega Europe?

Game is Hyenas. Essentially Payday IN SPACE with a touch of Overwatch. By Creative Assembly.

Additionally the console choice is Ps4,5,xbo, xsx, pc.

Again it seem like when Sega/Atlus say multiplatform they mean everything but switch.
This is SEGA Europe, they make all their decisions without a lot of interference from SEGA Japan and they haven't been known Nintendo supporters before there was no reason to think that would change. SEGA Japan/SEGA Europe/Atlus are the three gaming pilars of the company and we shouldn't treat all like they make the same decisions like we don't do with Bamco, SE or Spike Chunsoft

Last edited:
We're they know xbox supporters before?
Yes, they are usually PC focused (most of their games are PC only) but SEGA Europe is the branch closest to Xbox with most of their games being on GP (their biggest entry in a couple of years that released just this year was day 1 on GP)

Yes, they are usually PC focused (most of their games are PC only) but SEGA Europe is the branch closest to Xbox with most of their games being on GP (their biggest entry in a couple of years that released just this year was day 1 on GP)
I mean if most of their games were PC only I dont know why not having a strong nintendon history would be a factor. They just don't have a strong console history but that didn't stop them from going with PS/Xbox.

At this point too the switch has been on the market for 5 years. If they wanted it part of their multiplat strategy it would be there

Sega West (Europe) is pretty decent on Switch tbh. Football Manager series, Two Point series and the occasional port like Alien Isolation or Endless Dungeon. They could certainly do worse, look at Ryu ga Gotoku Studio.

The next 10 Mega Drive Mini 2 games:
12. OutRun (Mega Drive)
13. After Burner II (MD)
14. Night Striker (Mega CD)
15. The Ninja Warriors (Mega CD)
16. StarBlade (Mega CD)
17. Spatterhouse Part 2 (MD)
18. Fushigi no Umi no Nadia (MD)
19. Megapanel (MD)
20. Puzzle & Action: Ichidant-R (MD)
21. Columns III (MD)
22. Star Mobile (MD)

Next stream is July 15 20:00 JST

The 23rd game revealed for The Mega Drive Mini 2 is Alien Soldier. Was a Mega Drive game. Was on the non-Japanese versions of the original Mini.

More announced Mega Drive Mini 2 games:
23. Alien Soldier (see above post).
24. Tatsujin (Mega Drive). Audio is no longer incorrectly in PAL
25. Final Fight CD (Mega CD). Best 16-bit port of Final Fight. Should be on Genesis Mini 2.
26. Super Street Fighter II (MD)
27. Fatal Fury 2 (MD)
28. Aa Harimanada! (MD). Sumo game
29. Gambler Jiko Chuushinha. (MD) Mahjong game
30. Lunar: The Silver Star (Mega CD)
31: Lunar: Eternal Blue (Mega CD)
32. Wondermega Collection (Mega CD)
33. Sanrin San-Chan! (MD). M2 made MD port of the arcade game.

Next stream by Dengeki on August 11 20:00 JST

Mega Drive Mini 2 announcements:
34. Ecco the Dolphin CD & Tides of Time (Mega CD)
35. Gain Ground (Mega Drive)
36. Sorcerian (MD)
37. Phantasy Star II [+ Easy Mode] (MD)
38. Tougi-Ou King Colossus (MD)
39. Populous (MD)
40. Sangokushi III (both MD and MCD versions)
41. Tenka Fubu (Mega CD)
42. Dennin Aleste (Mega CD). Includes Robo Aleste.
43. Shin Megami Tensai (Mega CD)
44. Viewpoint (was Genesis exclusive. First Time this will be available in Japan)

August 19 20:00 JST will wrap up the announcements for the Mini 2.

When will we get the 2nd Wave announcements for Genesis 2? I'm still holding on to my Lunar, Popful Mail and Snatcher dreams...

When will we get the 2nd Wave announcements for Genesis 2? I'm still holding on to my Lunar, Popful Mail and Snatcher dreams...
Alas those dreams have been shattered https://sega.jp/genesismini2/

Final Mega Drive Mini 2 reveals:
45. Star Cruiser (Mega Drive)
46. Night Trap (Mega CD)
47. Mahou no Shoujo: Silky Lip (Mega CD)
48. Granada (MD)
49. Ranger-X (MD)
50. Crusader of Centy (MD)
51. Midnight Resistance (MD)
52. Atomic Runner (MD)
53. Honoo no Tokyuuji Dodge Danpei! (MD)
54. Captain Tsubasa (MCD)
55. Super Locomotive (brand new Genesis port)
56. Party Quiz Mega Q 2022
57. Party Quiz Sega Q
58. Devi & Pii (unreleased game for MD/Genesis)
59. Puyo Puyo Sun (brand new conversion)
60. Space Harrier II (new version. Not the original MD/Genesis game)

It looks like Sega Frontiers is coming out on November 8, 2022. Is this going to be another rushed out Sonic game?

Is this going to be another rushed out Sonic game?
there's not much to imply it will be yet. Sega seems to have given them proper time and budget for this. not only that, the movies did a number to raise the profile of the Sonic brand, so all that's left is for Sonic Team to provide. I think even a 77-83 metacritic would yield very positive results for the game

This new Sonic Frontiers trailer proves that Sonic's marketing team needs a marketing overhaul. We should have gotten a trailer like this a month ago.

Seeing that they are releasing a remake of Ishin! game available on PS3/PS4 on PS4/5/XB systems I would not discard they have plans to remake rest PS3 based Yakuza titles (0, Kiwami 1, 3, 4, 5). They want Yakuza to be an annual IP so it makes sense to intercalate between new games (with turn based RPG elements), remakes and spin-offs.

A Yakuza 0 remake would likely release early 2025, thats 10 years after its original release (2015). Kiwami 1 was release ~10 years after PS2 version, so wouldn’t feel bad.

And would be more easier to just include next Switch HW in their plans and quickly port Kiwami 2, 6 and 7 (+8) in the near future.

Seeing that they are releasing a remake of Ishin! game available on PS3/PS4 on PS4/5/XB systems I would not discard they have plans to remake rest PS3 based Yakuza titles (0, Kiwami 1, 3, 4, 5). They want Yakuza to be an annual IP so it makes sense to intercalate between new games (with turn based RPG elements), remakes and spin-offs.

A Yakuza 0 remake would likely release early 2025, thats 10 years after its original release (2015). Kiwami 1 was release ~10 years after PS2 version, so wouldn’t feel bad.

And would be more easier to just include next Switch HW in their plans and quickly port Kiwami 2, 6 and 7 (+8) in the near future.

I doubt that. The 0, Kiwami 1 , Kiwami 2, 3 Remasterd , 4 Remastered and 5 Remastered already are playable on current systems. They remake Ishin because it was on of the last yakuza games not playable on current systems.
Incredible that all the main Yakuza games are now disponible in PS/XBox and PC.

I doubt that. The 0, Kiwami 1 , Kiwami 2, 3 Remasterd , 4 Remastered and 5 Remastered already are playable on current systems. They remake Ishin because it was on of the last yakuza games not playable on current systems.
Incredible that all the main Yakuza games are now disponible in PS/XBox and PC.
Ishin! was release on PS3 and PS4 back on its day, in fact, it was a PS4 launch title in japan.

And now they are making a remake on UE4 for all current and previous gen systems, except Switch.

So I wouldn’t discard they have plans to remake on UE4 the rest of PS3 Yakuza games (0, Kiwami 1, 3, 4, 5). It will likely take the rest of this decade.

I am not sure if changing the name of the series in English is a good idea at this point
In the west it has been called Yakuza since the first game in 2005 .

it would be like calling the next Resident evil 9 " Biohazard "in the west suddenly .

Sure it is now the same as the series is called in Japan but it might make some people confused .

Ishin! was release on PS3 and PS4 back on its day, in fact, it was a PS4 launch title in japan.

And now they are making a remake on UE4 for all current and previous gen systems, except Switch.

So I wouldn’t discard they have plans to remake on UE4 the rest of PS3 Yakuza games (0, Kiwami 1, 3, 4, 5). It will likely take the rest of this decade.

Sorry I was thinking it was a PS3 only game. But the game wasn't released Overseas.
I still think it's unlikeable that they remake games all the other games because as I said they have global releases that are playable on current gen consoles. Ishin justification maybe it's the lack of a global version and the inclusion of Zero, 6 and 7 chars.

Sad day. Kodama and 7th Dragon is one of my fav game on DS that i believe can compete head to head with Etrian. Such a lost.

Updated figures from this conference on the Rovio merger

Sonic - 1.4 Billion
Persona - 17 million
Yakuza/Like A Dragon - 20 million
PSO2 - 9 million players
Total War - 38 million
Football Manager - 24 million
Company of Heroes - 10 million
Two Point Hospital - 3 million

Fiscal Year Ended March 2023
Results Presentation, 28/04/23

FY2024/3 Forecast
Expect higher sales and profits due to the contribution of new titles and repeat sales (CS)
  • Increase in unit sales of new titles FY2023/3 results: 10,090 thousand units FY2024/3 plan: 14,120 thousand units
  • Increase in operating expenses of R&D expenses and advertising expenses due to increase in new titles
(page 10)
Following up on the SEGA Sammy FY3 / 2023 results, looking ahead to its forecast for the year ending March 2023. Finally seeing a greater emphasis on improving back catalogue sales, someone looked enviously over at CAPCOM when combined with Persona 5 Royal sales, maybe something finally clicked. The combined history of SEGA & ATLUS should give them more than enough (missed) opportunities to seize upon, have discussed before about learning from Electronic Arts & Take Two but would advise setting up ATLUS as its dedicated (Japan-centric) sub-label. Edit: Although based on its Q&A Summary, investors are far more interested by the prospect of movies/merchandise, Rovio mobile, Pachislot and Pachinko Machines Business earnings *sigh*.
Further Expansion of Major IPs (Full Game)
  • Promote the global simultaneous launch x multi-platform support of several new titles
  • Strengthen repeat sales of series titles released in the previous fiscal year
12 titles (Approx. 1.2M unit sales)
⚫“Sonic Origins Plus”
⚫ “Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name”
⚫“ENDLESS Dungeon” etc.

Approx. 5M unit sales
⚫“Sonic Origins Plus”
⚫“Samba de Amigo: Party Central”
⚫“Etrian Odyssey Origins Collection” etc.
Post launch support - Planning multiple titles (pages 30 - 32)

[Important] Notice of Service Termination
Thank you for playing "BORDER BREAK" for PS4™.
We would like to announce that the service of "BORDER BREAK" for PS4™ will end on September 9, 2023. (May 15, 2023)
After the service ends, online matching will be suspended and only the following battles will be available.
Battles > Exhibition
Battle > Training
Story > Main Scenario
Story > Borders Scenario
However, you will need to subscribe to PlayStation®Plus to use the exhibition matches after the service ends.
Source: Delisted Games

The Creative Assembly™ Ltd., part of SEGA® Europe Ltd., today announced a third development location in Newcastle, UK. This new studio sits alongside the studio’s headquarters in Sussex, UK and their European studio in Sofia, Bulgaria, across which there are over 850 permanent employees.

CA North is set to recruit around 100 new developers in both technical and creative roles over the coming years, offering a new working location for development teams, including to work on the new unannounced project. This project is in its early prototyping phase, taking a progressive, iterative approach to development and moving quickly on technical solutions and creative potential. (March 16th, 2023)

Creative Assembly confirm development of an action project that will establish a new franchise as part of their growing portfolio. This new action title will sit alongside Total War, Hyenas and the studio’s other yet-to-be announced project. (August 26th, 2022)
That makes 4 games in development, Hyenas, a Total War title, unannounced project from the team behind Alien Isolation & Halo Wars 2 plus a new action game by its studio in Sofia. You can see where (SEGA Sapporo aside) most of the investment is going when combined with acquiring Rovio. Will focus on ATLUS in its Output Strategy thread, for now here's the line up:
img_SEGA_SAMMY_GOLF-1.gif

Sega Sammy Holdings
Investor Relations (IR)
Financial Year (FY)
Apr. 20XX - Mar. 20XX​
Q1 FY3/2024 (April 2023 - June 2023)
[PS5/XBS] Company of Heroes 3: Console Edition (Relic Entertainment, Inc.) {2023.05.30}
[NSW/PS4/PS5/XB1/XBS/Steam/EGS] Sonic Origins Plus <ACT> (Sega) {2023.06.23} (¥3.990)
Q2 FY3/2024 (July 2023 - September 2023)
Q3 FY3/2024 (October 2023 - December 2023)
FY 3/2024 (April 2023 - March 2024)
[PS4/PS5/XB1/XBS/Steam/EGS] Hyenas <FPS> (The Creative Assembly Ltd.) {2023.xx.xx}
[Quest 2/Quest Pro] Samba De Amigo (???) {2023.xx.xx} *Autumn 2023*
[NSW/PS4/PS5/XB1/XBS/Steam] Sonic Superstars (Arzest/Sonic Team) {2023.xx.xx} *Autumn 2023*
[PS4/PS5/XB1/XBS/Steam] Like A Dragon: Infinite Wealth (Ryū Ga Gotoku Studio) {2024.xx.xx} *Early 2024*
Annual Release
[iOS/Android/Apple Arcade/NSW/PS4/PS5/XB1/XBS/Steam] Football Manager (Sports Interactive Ltd.) {2023.xx.xx}
Licensed by SEGA
Ubisoft already maccacred my boy NieR so now they're Roller Ready to do Jet Set Radio Dirty too!
Jet-Set-Radio-Roller-Champions_06-12-23.jpg
“If I was going to be published by anyone, it would be Sega, but I’m an indie in spirit through and through and jumped at the chance to publish the game through our new label, RapidEyeMovers. C-Smash VRS is only the beginning – but we have an exciting roadmap planned for this game alone. Like the universe itself, C-Smash VRS has been designed from the ground up to stretch and expand.” - Jörg Tittel (RapidEyeMovers) via VideoGamesChronicle (2023)

Sega's Shun Nakamura talks about taking Samba de Amigo into VR
Shacknews: What made you want to make Samba de Amigo into a VR game? What makes it a good fit for virtual reality?
Shun Nakamura, Producer: Samba de Amigo was the first work I directed, and one that I wanted to make again if I had the chance. I was also very interested in VR hardware and wanted to challenge myself as a creator. There is a big trend in the gaming industry to revive past IPs, and I thought this might be a good opportunity, so I proposed the revival of Samba and was able to take up the challenge.
<UPDATE 23/05/23> August 29th release date for Samba De Amigo: Party Central & the announcement by Creative Assembly of Total War: PHAROAH for Steam/EGS, October 2023.
<UPDATE 12/06/23> November 9th release date for Like a Dragon Gaiden plus new entries for Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth & Sonic Superstars. Interviews added to spoiler tag.

Last edited:
Updated the post above with the August 29th release date for Samba De Amigo: Party Central & the announcement by Creative Assembly of Total War: PHAROAH for Steam/EGS, October 2023. However it bears naming & shaming SEGA Sammy for trying to mask news of 121 layoffs at Relic Entertainment today. Social Sociopathic Democracy in the 21st Century strikes again. As to why they're firing people when Company of Heroes 3 - Console Edition is out next week (hardly a ringing endorsement, maybe promote the game instead?) is beyond me. Particularly when SEGA Europe are looking to hire 50+ staff when Relic work on strategy games with transferable skills. Adding insult to injury, multiple recruitment ads for Creative Assembly (examples below) even came up alongside the GamesIndustry news article. Bad look all round. Not an isolated case, should always be called out (dedicated thread?), especially when it's so brazen.
[eternally late edit: spelling mistake]

Fw1FxdWaEAArUbO
Disappoints me to see that C-Smash VRS, despite being licensed to an external company is seemingly caught up in this with new promotional trailers being unveiled today (VGC). Not right.

Last edited:
Sega keep racking up lost points that it is.... kinda crazy lol. Like this year has been huge disaster left and right with little good spot.
SENIOR NETWORK
PROGRMMER

On Hyenas
EXPERIENCES MATTER.
53 CURRENT JOB OPENINGS.​
On a New Project.

Feels bad man, hope [edit: for the best to] all those impacted by another Japanese company throwing global staff under the bus. At some point, if they haven't done so already, any prospective hires will have to factor that into whether or not to accept job offers from Japanese publishers. Wasn’t expecting its most expensive game in company history to not have a business model finalised in the very beginning. Instead it was inexplicably flailing about in lieu of one in the late stages of development as it neared completion only to be cancelled by SEGA Sammy. Perfect storm as there are issues across its formerly reliable international studios with one exception. Sport Interactive is signing off its existing work with...
Football Manager 2024: How the franchise made millions
"The way that I see it, I'm actually making the game for me - it just so happens that there are a few million other people like me out there," said studio head Miles Jacobson.

For the first time in the series' history, players can continue their last previously-saved game. This means their progress in Football Manager 2023 carries over directly into Football Manager 2024.

According to Sports Interactive, the feature has been used by 25% of players who have pre-ordered the game so far.

"It's definitely our most requested feature from the community, and it's the most pre-ordered game we've ever had," he said.

"This is going to be the last game in the Football Manager series as you know it... we wanted this to be a celebration of the end of an era.”
Most pre-ordered game in the developer history, quarter of players who pre-ordered (at time of publication) used transfarring to ensure they can avoid getting sacked a few weeks into the season. Also further into the article linked we get some insight as to how long it takes to build a new player database for women. It'll debut in a revamped entry next year. Annual sports games essentially have 3 year development cycles in practise. KONAMI had 3 year cycles for PES before its move to F2P (which still hasn't released all the features announced at launch).
Japanese release of Two Point Campus has been unceremoniously cancelled. (twitter)
*combining two post*
Officially, it's "various circumstances", which means "we won't tell you, sorry" in PR speak.
『Two Point Campus』日本語版発売中止のお知らせ

2023年の発売を予定していました『Two Point Campus』(日本語版)ですが、諸般の事情により発売を中止させていただきます。

本作の発売をお待ちいただいていたお客様には深くお詫び申し上げます

Notice of Cancellation of "Two Point Campus" Japanese Version

Due to various circumstances, we have decided to cancel the release of "Two Point Campus" (Japanese version), which was scheduled for release in 2023.

We deeply apologize to those customers who have been waiting for the release of this title. (via DeepL Translate)
Two Point Campus』日本語版発売中止のお知らせ。

2023年発売とお知らせしておりました『Two Point Campus』(日本語版)ですが、
諸般の事情により発売を中止させていただきます。
本作の発売をお待ちいただいていたお客様には深くお詫び申し上げます。

Notice of Cancellation of "Two Point Campus" (Japanese version).

We have announced that "Two Point Campus" (Japanese version) will be released in 2023,
We apologize for the inconvenience caused by the cancellation of the Japanese version.
We deeply apologize to those who have been waiting for the release of this title. (via DeepL Translate)
Office Politics? Brought up a while back on the forum, SEGA Sammy themed DLC (like Tomb Raider & FF7 in PowerWash Simulator), is a real missed opportunity for both Two Point games. Trauma Centre (Hospital) & Persona (Campus) DLC with themed cameos by SEGA & ATLUS characters, either with unique lore related health problems or teaching/adult education at uni.
Like a Dragon Interview Trilogy
Next, I would like to talk about the fan culture that surrounds the series in Japan and overseas. In terms of character popularity, in Japan, Goro Majima would be a classic choice. Was there any character whose overseas popularity you were surprised by?
Masayoshi Yokoyama:
During the RGG SUMMIT held this summer (June 16, 2023), the topic of whether Kiryu has ever proposed or been proposed to came up towards the end, and to this, the overseas fans all went “Sayama!” I was shocked that Sayama’s name would come up in that situation.

To me, Sayama was just “a woman from long ago” from a past title, but among overseas fans, there were people asking if she will be making an appearance again, so I was quite surprised. And now, when she appeared among the Poundmates in the trailer, everyone was like “I knew it, there she is!” It’s an odd feeling for me, as I don’t recall having Sayama mentioned to me much at all in Japan.
Indeed, if you minded users’ reactions you wouldn’t have had Haruka Sawamura appear in Like a Dragon 6 the way you did.
Masayoshi Yokoyama:
No matter how much it gets criticized, in my mind, it’s a completely normal development for Haruka. To my surprise, overseas fans were a lot more accepting of the fact, while a portion of Japanese users were disappointed.

In response to this, I can’t help but think “So what?” The way I see things, if we start making changes whenever users complain, we might as well retire. It’s hard to explain, but I think that Like a Dragon should be like a “god” that we mustn’t touch. If all of your opinions can be changed by the words of others, you shouldn’t be making a drama-packed game. You get nothing but criticism for it anyways (laugh).

Live-service games and similar need to work on delivering what users want at the moment, but for us, things are different. We have to go beyond that, which is why we choose not to heed user requests. On the other hand, we do look at reviews after the game is out.
「龍が如くスタジオ」代表·横山氏と現役グラドル&ホステスにミニインタビュー。大繁盛の龍スタ体験会大阪会場にて
Mini interview with Mr. Yokoyama, representative of "Ryu ga Gotoku Studio", a current gravure idol & hostess. At the Osaka venue of the thriving Ryu-studio experience.
via DeepL Translate
The hands-on event in Osaka that we visited this time was held at the Namba CITY Galleria Court. This is a spot where many ordinary customers come and go. The event itself was a big success, and by the time I visited in the early afternoon, all the numbered tickets had already been distributed for "Ryu ga Gotoku 7 Gaiden" and "Ryu ga Gotoku 8". A photo session with life-size panels of the characters and the cast members who play the cabaret girls in "Ryu ga Gotoku 7 Gaiden" was also very popular. The digital photo booth, where fans could become part of the "Ryu ga Gotoku 8" logo themselves, was also a big hit, with people enjoying taking pictures almost constantly.

What also caught my eye was the wide range of fans who visited the event. In its early years, "Ryu ga Gotoku" was developed with a clear target of adult males. However, as the series has progressed, the fan base has broadened and diversified, and "Ryu ga Gotoku 7" is a story about joining forces with friends of various genders, nationalities, and ages. As if to reflect this, the players who gathered at the event were so diverse that they were indistinguishable from the general public. The popularity of the game on social networking sites and other social networking sites clearly shows the trend of expanding the fan base and name recognition of "Ryu ga Gotoku. However, the sight of men and women, young and old, gathering together as "Ryu ga Gotoku" fans seemed to symbolize the change and penetration of this title.

At this hands-on event, we interviewed Mr. Masayoshi Yokoyama, representative of Ryu ga Gotoku Studio and executive producer of the game, Ms. Ayu, an active hostess who will make her debut as an entertainer, and Ms. Ai Kaname, a gravure idol who will play a cabaret girl in "Ryu ga Gotoku 7 Gaiden". We asked them about their thoughts on their respective works.

─ ─ Thank you very much. How do you feel about the temperature of the fans in Osaka? Did you feel that it was "Osaka-like"?
Masayoshi Yokoyama:
I can't compare the experience with the one in Sapporo since I didn't attend that one, but I have the impression that the Osaka venue was open and many people came to see the game. Actually, we at Ryu-Ga-Gotoku Studio have been holding these events for a long time.

In the past, when we were doing things in places like this, many people would walk by and say, "I wonder what they are doing? I don't know. Nowadays, there are not so many people like that anymore, so I guess we have become better known. I still get a lot of "I wonder who that guy is" (referring to Mr. Yokoyama) (laugh).

─ ─ Are there any favorite spots you like to visit or places you would like to visit when you come to Osaka?
Masayoshi Yokoyama:
Well, I would say Dotonbori and Yakiniku in Tsuruhashi. And speaking of Osaka, I had okonomiyaki yesterday. I would also like to go to a deeper Osaka. You know it well, don't you, Ayu?

Ayu-san: Yes, come to think of it, you came to the restaurant where I work. [busted!]

─ I seem to be able to imagine Mr. Yokoyama playing with it.

Masayoshi Yokoyama:
But I don't usually go to such restaurants. I can't drink alcohol. I don't go to cabarets or cabarets. I have to pay a lot of money for water. [doubt.gif]

All of them: (laughs)

─ ─ Ayu, you are an actual hostess here in Osaka, did that experience help you in your role as a cabaret girl in the game?
Ayu:
It was useful! I was very happy to hear that the requests I received during the shoot, such as "I actually want you to make me a drink," and the way I treated the customers, were the most natural.

─ ─ Kaname, did your experience as a gravure idol come in handy in any way?
Ai Kaname:
Yes, I did. When I looked at the lines, I thought I was the best at "saying something a little sexually". [oh my.gif]

All of them: (laughter)

Ai Kaname: I often act like a natural lover in my gravure idol activities. I feel like I can't lose in that area. I'd love for people to agonize while doing this ...... (laughs).

─ ─ Kaname-san, if you could nominate any of the "Ryu ga Gotoku" characters, who would it be?
Ai Kaname:
I have a stuffed toy of Ryuji Gouda with me today. It was given to me as a gift, but I happened to be taking good care of it today, so I would like to nominate Ryuji-san.

─ ─ Ryuji seems to drink a lot.
Ai Kaname:
(laughs) I think he seems to drink a lot of expensive alcohol. I would like to admire that. [pro]

─ ─ How about you, Ayu?
Ayu:
I think she is the best. I think it's wonderful that she never wavers. [noob]

─ ─ The main setting of "Ryu ga Gotoku 7 Gaiden" is Sotenbori. In "Ryu ga Gotoku 7", the resolution is much higher, and as a local of the model area, I was very impressed. Are there any changes you would like the locals to see in "Ryu ga Gotoku 7 Gaiden" and "Ryu ga Gotoku 8"?
Masayoshi Yokoyama:
There are some changes in the location of play spots. But Sotenbori is still Sotenbori, and we haven't done anything strange to it. It's like we're just updating the atmosphere.

There are places like Kabukicho and Dotonbori that are the motifs for the land in the game. In that respect, Sotenbori is probably the closest to the actual model. The atmosphere of Dotonbori is very CG-like, like the signs, etc. The town in the game created by CG is not so different from the atmosphere of the real town. Kabukicho has a slightly different atmosphere. In Sotenbori, when you play the game, you feel like you've been there. It seems to be the town where the game and reality are closest.

John Linneman’s half hour assessment of the technical aspects but also is a video review of the game & its place in the franchise. It goes over what makes a Sonic game unique, where this stands up & falls short of the 2D Sonic. He even suggests modded score options to replace several weaker tracks with fan produced alternatives. Simply put, it offers an in-depth, near comprehensive analysis from a long term fan. The key difference being John Linneman sure knows their onions* & clearly explains the reasons why they feel the way they do.

Even finds time to offer a few tips for people struggling with getting on the right wave light to effortlessly flow through the levels of a side scrolling Sonic. Real love letter for an oft-maligned franchise & why people continue to play them despite countless misfires. Enough gushing from me as the range of Sonic videos he’s made over the years speak for themselves.

*Work involved is discussed in response to a Patreon question during DF Direct Weekly #137: GTA6 Announced, Steam Deck OLED Reaction, PS5 'Slim' Teardowns (timestamped) here.
As to why I used the caveat near comprehensive, its due to Sonic Superstars co-op & online multi-player being dismissed in passing. It might help explained the issues he raises with the Sonic boss fights, perhaps they're designed as obstacle courses for multiple players to navigate & survive before more than one player hit the boss during a limited opening. That would lead to a quick fight that is drawn out for a single player. If that is the case, it would be an explanation but not an excuse for a failure to rebalance for single player leading to lengthy intermissions before player can attack the boss. Hopefully this is something John Linneman will address in future, if he can rope in DF colleagues and/or Try from My Life in Gaming to play it together.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom