• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Cyberpunk 2077 sales surpass 18 million, The Witcher 3 sales surpass 40 million

Cyberpunk sold 13M in 10 days. 5M 1 year and 4 months later.
The game has to have been the biggest wasted potential in modern gaming history. It could have easily been similar to Witcher 3, perhaps even reached closer to GTA levels than any other game before it, but now I wonder if CDPR are even going to continue using it as a franchise.

Witcher may become bigger than Elder Scrolls if it isn't already.

Cyberpunk 2077 reached 13.7M sold by the end of 2021, so it added another 4.3M sold over the last 15+ months, including sales of the newly released PS5/XBS versions. Legs have been very lackluster, and deservedly so.

On a more positive note, The Witcher 3 performance continues to be outstanding.

I don’t find the sales poor for CP77. The game was always going to be super frontloaded compared to The Witcher

Speaking of which, great sales but its 10$ ever other week so at this point it’s an impulse buy for most.

I’m expecting CP77 to reach 25-30 millions by next year once the game hits 20$ on sale (it’s been 30 for a while, outside of some clearances here and there for PS4/Xbone versions physical copies)

PAv1OwV.png

uDNHgzN.png

Coqi0xC.png

Cyberpunk sold 13.7m units in 2020
Cyberpunk sold 4.3m units in 2021 (+1 quarter 2022)

2020 split
PC: 8.5m units
PS: 2.88m units
Xbox: 2.33m units

2021 split
PC: 2.92m units
PS: 0.43m units
Xbox: 0.95m units

total split
PC: 11.4m units
PS: 3.3m units
Xbox: 3.3m units

Netflix's The Witcher TV series saved this company from many gloomy fiscal reports.

I don’t find the sales poor for CP77. The game was always going to be super frontloaded compared to The Witcher

Speaking of which, great sales but its 10$ ever other week so at this point it’s an impulse buy for most.

I’m expecting CP77 to reach 25-30 millions by next year once the game hits 20$ on sale (it’s been 30 for a while, outside of some clearances here and there for PS4/Xbone versions physical copies)
No chance it hits 30 million next year. It’s legs are far too dead and the next gen patch is already out.

The Witcher 3 breakdown: (won't do math)
krzDs16.png

H2YN0Bl.png

wIIhMTl.png

The Witcher 3 sales in 2021 nearly beat launch sales. Incredible.
Also increased over the 2020 pandemic bump.

No chance it hits 30 million next year. It’s legs are far too dead and the next gen patch is already out.
The next gen patch just came out but just like The Witcher, the lion’s share of sales comes from PC and I’m expecting deeper discounts in the coming months. It has what it needs to achieve those sales since the game’s reputation was only really poor on consoles. The PC experience was fine.

Also The Witcher 3 sold 12 million copies between december 2019 and april 2022 (28 million copies sold by december 2019 as announced in march 2020) but 2021 saw the most sales out of that span.

you can really see why they moved to UE5. the engine for Cyberpunk was a mess (it was a mess for all their games actually). if they can fix their management issues the clean tech slate should make Witcher 4 go a lot smoother

The next gen patch just came out but just like The Witcher, the lion’s share of sales comes from PC and I’m expecting deeper discounts in the coming months. It has what it needs to achieve those sales since the game’s reputation was only really poor on consoles. The PC experience was fine.

Also The Witcher 3 sold 12 million copies between december 2019 and april 2022 (28 million copies sold by december 2019 as announced in march 2020) but 2021 saw the most sales out of that span.

Comparing W3 to Cyberpunk is incredibly wrong. Cyberpunk has had abysmal legs and word of mouth. Outside the launch timeframe, would not be surprised if the collapse was 85%+.

Comparing W3 to Cyberpunk is incredibly wrong. Cyberpunk has had abysmal legs and word of mouth. Outside the launch timeframe, would not be surprised if the collapse was 85%+.
They show similar first to second year declines and outside of the console space the game has has rather favorable wom on PC.

I mean this is a CDProject Red game. Anyone expecting a technical masterpiece clearly hasn’t experienced The Witcher 1-2-3 on release on Pc

Edit : it’s also consistently at the top of sales charts on gog

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt yearly sell-in

2015: 9.47m
2016: 4.19m / 13.66m
2017: 4.40m / 18.06m
2018: 3.59m / 21.65m
2019: 6.62m / 28.27m
2020: 7.36m / 35.63m
2021: 8.24m / 43.87m

EDIT: 2015 might be slightly overestimated because CD Projekt adjusted their numbers, need double check for better accuracy

Last edited:
You are basically saying cyberpunk can sell 10 million on PC in the next year, since console versions are dead, which would be higher than even launch, and 3.3x times what it did last year.

You are basically saying cyberpunk can sell 10 million on PC in the next year, since console versions are dead, which would be higher than even launch, and 3.3x times what it did last year.
I’m saying it can achieve 25-30 million sales through catalog sales of the PC version and the soft relaunch on consoles with the nextgen versions

In February 2022, Cyberpunk 2077 was the 5th and 4th most downloaded game on PS5 in the US/Canada and Europe respectively.

In March 2022, Cyberpunk 2077 dropped out of the Top 20 in both the US/Canada and Europe.

Unless the situation is massively different on Xbox Series, it seems like the next-gen console launch of Cyberpunk just came and went.

I’m saying it can achieve 25-30 million sales through catalog sales of the PC version and the soft relaunch on consoles with the nextgen versions
That's not happening though. The reputation alone will prevent that. It will struggle to reach 30M in 2 years. And it's legs will probably get worse over time.

Next gen is already out and included in these numbers.
Aren't these just the 2021 sale through numbers so no 2022 numbers? Unless I'm misreading or missing what CDPR is defining as 2021

Regardless it might be my limited perspective but hasn't word of mouth become more positive over the last few weeks/months since the release of 1.5? That along with upcoming expansion (likely expansions) I can see the game getting to 25 million at least in the next two years. That plus the trigger anime they have planned should push the game over the edge. Incredibly poor legs regardless but I think ruling out 25 million + as of now is a bit reactionary

At the very least we should wait until next years update + see the reception to the expansion and anime is going to be before making conclusive statements that Cyberpunk will not reach 25 million or more sales

That's not happening though. The reputation alone will prevent that. It will struggle to reach 30M in 2 years. And it's legs will probably get worse over time.
Lifetime sales of CP77 are guaranteed to exceed 30 millions, like it’s not even in contest. People can stay on the initial reception to the game as long as they want, the game’s still selling and consistently tops the gog sales charts so we shall see

5m in 16 months is still pretty solid all things considered.
For CDPR's likely lofty expectations from Witcher 3's legs and what they probably expected thanks to their (honestly just bad marketing campaign but I don't really want to go on about that on a sales thread)

Also it's 4.3 million, which is honestly kinda bad in general

Aren't these just the 2021 sale through numbers so no 2022 numbers? Unless I'm misreading or missing what CDPR is defining as 2021

Regardless it might be my limited perspective but hasn't word of mouth become more positive over the last few weeks/months since the release of 1.5? That along with upcoming expansion (likely expansions) I can see the game getting to 25 million at least in the next two years. That plus the trigger anime they have planned should push the game over the edge. Incredibly poor legs regardless but I think ruling out 25 million + as of now is a bit reactionary

At the very least we should wait until next years update + see the reception to the expansion and anime is going to be before making conclusive statements that Cyberpunk will not reach 25 million or more sales
Fiscal year 2021. And I ruled out 30 million milestone next year.

Edit: Actually seems their fiscal year is matched to the calendar year??. Odd but alright guess it's just 2021. We'll see, but I still don't see 30 million in the cards for 2022

I’ll keep in mind the « poor legs/sales » comments here for when we get a sales update on say, FF7R and compare the legs with the other highly anticipated 2020 title
I mean if FF7R's legs are as bad as KH3's, I'm not sure what you are expecting for a comparison of my comments on Cyberpunk and on that hypothetical.

I’ll keep in mind the « poor legs/sales » comments here for when we get a sales update on say, FF7R and compare the legs with the other highly anticipated 2020 title
You want to compare a game that was released on 1 platform at launch and then 2 platforms 1 year later (one of which was only on Epic games store) with a special edition to a game that released on 5 platforms at launch and is probably the most hyped game ever with tons of more marketing than the other game?
Kinda unfair, don't you think?

If i didn't make a mistake
Xbox = 5.8275M
Playstation = 14.451M
PC = 21.6206M
Switch = 1.8026M
Total = 43.7017M
Note: Some ratios could not be completed to hundred when added, probably due to rounding

An interesting stat to observe is the breakdown of Witcher 3 sales by region.
T8dLAQf.png

wIIhMTl.png

Asia's growth is quite notable.

Also worth noting that Cyberpunk is comparatively much weaker in Asia than The Witcher.

Last edited:
Now do platform splits ^^
For some reason I don't understand they adjusted their 2015 numbers quite a bit since the last time they provided this graph so some double check might be needed for slightly better accuracy...

Quick & dirty pic to show the changes, I made it so the 2019 bar matches in both graphs (the old graph is the one in inverted colors on the top layer):
unknown.png

Last edited:
Xbox = 5.8275M
Playstation = 14.451M
PC = 21.6206M
Switch = 1.8026M
Total = 43.7017M
Note: Some ratios could not be completed to hundred when added, probably due to rounding
The witcher 3 has sold very well on switch and will be around 2.5 million at the end of 2022 on switch. Now if it can do this well, imagine how well final fantasy 9 remake could do.

those cyberpunk sales seem pretty awful for how much marketing/hype was made around it.
the cancellation of the multiplayer mode also pretty much ensures it won't see the same phenomenon as GTA Online heavily helping with sales overtime.
will it eventually reach 30 ? maybe but not when it'll still matter for cdprojekt as a company.

The Witcher 3 has sold very well on switch and will be around 2.5 million at the end of 2022 on switch. Now if it can do this well, imagine how well final fantasy 9 remake could do.

The Witcher 3 sold well everywhere. I don't see how that has any connection to a potential FF9 remake selling well on the Switch. Unless you're saying FF9 remake would also sell well everywhere, but even then I fail to see what that has to do with Witcher 3's sales. Witcher 3 =/= Final Fantasy.

Final Fantasy has been mentioned multiple times in this thread and I'm kinda failing to see the connection in both cases lol. Cyberpunk legs definitely got cut off by the issues with the game at large but the problems on console especially hurt it. Sort of doubt they'll salvage it (weird to say about a game that sold 18m copies, that's for sure), even a really good DLC like the Witcher's would be met with a lot of skepticism.

EDIT: 2015 might be slightly overestimated because CD Projekt adjusted their numbers, need double check for better accuracy

Based on the platform percentages in the chart SoonyXboneUuh posted a few posts prior to yours that would put the Switch Version at ~1.8 million units sold I believe.

those cyberpunk sales seem pretty awful for how much marketing/hype was made around it.
the cancellation of the multiplayer mode also pretty much ensures it won't see the same phenomenon as GTA Online heavily helping with sales overtime.
will it eventually reach 30 ? maybe but not when it'll still matter for cdprojekt as a company.
They are awful and unlike The Witcher 3 also don’t have meaningful, acclaimed DLC content adding to their value and prestige. Nor a TV show. People trying to give it a Witcher esque sales tail are hitting the crack pipe.

Last edited:
What happened to the Cyberpunk(2022/Trigger) anime? no news after it was announced.2022 anime season already stacked.

They are awful and unlike The Witcher 3 also don’t have meaningful, acclaimed DLC content adding to their value and prestige. Nor a TV show. People trying to give it a Witcher esque sales tail are hitting the crack pipe.
Netflix has a TV show for CP77 (but it’s animated)

Xbox = 5.8275M
Playstation = 14.451M
PC = 21.6206M
Switch = 1.8026M
Total = 43.7017M
Really good attach rates on last gen consoles. On Xbox that ~>10% and Playstation ~>12%.of their install base purchased the Witcher 3.

I hate that games can lock in these types of sales purely on hype and marketing. Granted alot of this hype was built on the back of a genuinely great game like witcher 3.

They show similar first to second year declines and outside of the console space the game has has rather favorable wom on PC.

I mean this is a CDProject Red game. Anyone expecting a technical masterpiece clearly hasn’t experienced The Witcher 1-2-3 on release on Pc

Edit : it’s also consistently at the top of sales charts on gog

They absolutely do not have similar declines...??? What numbers are you looking at?
  • W3 - 55%
  • C077 - 70%
Bear in mind C2077 released late Dec 2020, so its frontloaded launch effect will spill over to 2021 yearly sales. C2077 was at 13M sold in 10 days after launch. Conservatively, it could have been 15M at the end of Jan, meaning post launch sales have completely collapsed, 80%+.

It dropped out of the Top 20 the next month and is rarely if ever seen since then. In addition the word of mouth is non existent compared to W3 which is considered by many to be one of the greatest RPGs of all time and GOTY.

What is there to keep in mind? WRPGs perform differently to JRPGs.

I wonder where Cyberpunk sales would be if it were a competent game at launch. I know I wouldve bought it. I probably still will when the version with the expansions is on sale, but not yet at least.

Back
Top Bottom