• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Community Discussion and Moderation Feedback

I guess this is a better thread for this.
Further issue: If the last reply of a forum is in an ignored thread the forum gets marked as read. After a reply in another thread the forum is "unread" again but the first issue i mentioned is back.
I'll have to take a look around in the source code as the ignore function itself doesn't have this functionality to stop `undread` on ignored threads.

I'll have to take a look around in the source code as the ignore function itself doesn't have this functionality to stop `undread` on ignored threads.
Thanks! 🙂

For a change not a bug report / feature request: Is there something like an official/open Install Base Discord? I'd love to chat with the other members about games (e.g. soon Pokémon Legends Arceus and Elden Ring) but these topics would be off topic in a sales forum.

I find it a bit frustrating that I don't have much of a reason to post or browse here if there's no sales news. Are they any plans to expand this forum at all?

I find it a bit frustrating that I don't have much of a reason to post or browse here if there's no sales news. Are they any plans to expand this forum at all?
On one hand I have similar thoughts. On the other hands, it'd open the flood gates for political discussion and that would quickly result in ... bad things.

But ... here's spontaneous idea @mods: Would a "Sales Off-Topic" forum make sense? I'm not sure whether we have enough experts here to warrant such a sub-forum's existence. What I mean by "Sales Off-Topic" is a forum where we still talk about sales and data-based topics, but it's not about the video games industry, but every other field. Like, movie sales, box office sales, sales comparisons between Apple and Samsung, stock exchange analysis (without turning it into a "what should I buy?" thing, though), analysis of global economy developments, etc..

Such an off-topic forum would be in line with a a forum about sales and, at least personally speaking, would be super interesting for those who want to learn more insight about all the happenings in the world that aren't video games-releated. But as I said, I don't know if there's enough people that could give input, nor don't I know whether other users would be interested in that. I'm talking strictly as someone who'd be on the receiving side of such a sub-forum. But I feel this could be fun/interesting if done right.

Last edited:
On one hand I have similar thoughts. On the other hands, it'd open the flood gates for political discussion and that would quickly result in ... bad things.

Yeah, though, with the size of the community ATM, moderation of that type of discussion shouldn’t be TOO difficult?

Like, I totally get why the premise of this forum is so tight. Even letting a single digit through the membrane that separates that premise from just about anything else could burst the dam. But I’m just not sure how such a restricted premise is sustainable.

I want to use the forum more, but I don’t always have the time, energy, or interest to discuss sales. I also just like to nerd-out about Nerd stuff.

I do think that the kind of discourse that this forum has established could potentially be self-moderating, though. You just open things up very slowly and allow the culture of quality discourse that surrounds the Sales talk to continue to dominate the reputation of the forum. Don’t just jump straight into “General Discussion/Gaming Discussion” etc.

For example, your Off Topic Sales idea would be a great way to start that slow expansion process.

But ... here's spontaneous idea @mods: Would a "Sales Off-Topic" forum make sense? I'm not sure whether we have enough experts here to warrant such a sub-forum's existence. What I mean by "Sales Off-Topic" is a forum where we still talk about sales and data-based topics, but it's not about the video games industry, but every other field. Like, movie sales, box office sales, sales comparisons between Apple and Samsung, stock exchange analysis (without turning it into a "what should I buy?" thing, though), analysis of global economy developments, etc..

Such an off-topic forum would be in line with a a forum about sales and, at least personally speaking, would be super interesting for those who want to learn more insight about all the happenings in the world that aren't video games-releated. But as I said, I don't know if there's enough people that could give input, nor don't I know whether other users would be interested in that. I'm talking strictly as someone who'd be on the receiving side of such a sub-forum. But I feel this could be fun/interesting if done right.
Yeah, though, with the size of the community ATM, moderation of that type of discussion shouldn’t be TOO difficult?

Like, I totally get why the premise of this forum is so tight. Even letting a single digit through the membrane that separates that premise from just about anything else could burst the dam. But I’m just not sure how such a restricted premise is sustainable.

I want to use the forum more, but I don’t always have the time, energy, or interest to discuss sales. I also just like to nerd-out about Nerd stuff.

I do think that the kind of discourse that this forum has established could potentially be self-moderating, though. You just open things up very slowly and allow the culture of quality discourse that surrounds the Sales talk to continue to dominate the reputation of the forum. Don’t just jump straight into “General Discussion/Gaming Discussion” etc.

For example, your Off Topic Sales idea would be a great way to start that slow expansion process.

For future growth ideas, you have to ask yourself: what is the ethos behind Install Base? For me, Install Base is educational. That's what sets us apart and makes us unique.

Educational via general industry news, finances, and sales reports, with academic rigor and in-depth insights. We want Install Base to be the first place people visit to learn about how the industry works on a deep level.

Also, Install Base is nonprofit, so unlike 99% of social media we have no incentive for continuous expansion of scope. We exist as a resource / digital library like Wikipedia that people can browse at their leisure.

I believe if we maintain a high standard for ourselves from the outset, we will stand out among our numerous competitors that already exist. I also believe there is an inverse relationship between generality and the overall quality of the forum. The wider your breadth, the more you invite unneeded drama and trouble, as shown by Resetera's near-constant meltdowns and scandals.

In my opinion, Install Base's simplicity is refreshing. We aren't trying to be NeoGAF 3.0 or Resetera 2.0, we're just trying to elevate discourse and bring truth back into the equation for video game sales. As a baseline, I believe that's sustainable indefinitely even if we're a lot smaller because of it.

So in general I think you have to take a conservative approach to expansion because we operate in a fundamentally different manner. However, I like your idea of an "off topic sales" segment and I've thought of that myself in the past. You're right, it could work. But we have to think through the idea very carefully so it doesn't blow up in our face down the line.

Last edited:
I just wanted to thank staff for taking time to respond/take action to every single report I've made so far. A refreshing change of pace from the old site, where it often felt like typing into the void

Off topic of ResetEra is an asylum, worse than Neogaf. Traffic of that site is at continued decline because of what it has become, the last thing we need is moving part of that asylum and its residents here.

Install Base primary target is discussing about the market.

I guess my desires are more selfish than I thought. I just want another vbulltetin style forum where I have a place to talk about nerd stuff that isn't Reset/Neogaf/Reddit, because none of those places work, for obvious reasons.

While I do have a strong interest in discussing sales and data in a qualified manner, it's only a small aspect of what I like to discuss regarding the medium.

I guess my desires are more selfish than I thought. I just want another vbulltetin style forum where I have a place to talk about nerd stuff that isn't Reset/Neogaf/Reddit, because none of those places work, for obvious reasons.

While I do have a strong interest in discussing sales and data in a qualified manner, it's only a small aspect of what I like to discuss regarding the medium.
I mean, that's obviously not what IB wants to be. Plenty of forums for regular video game talk.

The model of having one site for everything has been tested many times and all of them has failed. What has been proved is that going to different places that each one is focused on an object is the best.

Since we talk for video games if you are a Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft or PC fan it's better to be close to dedicated sites about these. Trying to combine all of them and talk generally about video games will bring chaos and if you expand even more bringing off topic on the table it will happen the mess we know. No matter how good intentions are, internet is a virtual reality full of lunatics and trolls that always find the way to invade everywhere.

The first forum I followed is one of the most popular French forums.
and it is as bad as Resetera/neogaf/Reddit.
And I could say the same for some other general forum.

The specialized forums are generally much better in terms of discussion.

And to talk about general topics I simply use Twitter.

But I understand that some people want to talk about more subjets.

I have to agree with the notion that having a specialized forum is preferable to an all-purpose hub of sorts. It’s certainly a wish I can sympathize with, but in practise I often see one particular community assert its own will over the rest of the forum. Usually that tends to be the political community.

And whenever that happens, its anyone’s guess as to when the whole forum goes under or starts chasing other sub-communities out of it, destroying the all-purpose hub in the first place.

It certainly isn’t selfish to wish for an easy to access hubsite to discuss all your interests, but in practise that model has shown itself to be unsustainable.

So, what is another forum that you guys would recommend for someone like me that isn't Resetera/Neogaf/Reddit?

I feel like if there was anything else, I would have heard of it.

So, what is another forum that you guys would recommend for someone like me that isn't Resetera/Neogaf/Reddit?

I feel like if there was anything else, I would have heard of it.
I only know about a Nintendo Forum: Famiboards. I haven't made an account yet or looked at many threads but i've seen multiple IB members post there as well.

Is there any issue with mentions? According to my user settings I should get a notification for them but I never got one and I know that I was mentioned more than once in various threads.
Is the "Alert" checkbox for "Receive notifications when someone mentions you in a message" selected on your Preferences page?

1)
NOMJdJX.png

2)
When you scroll down on the Preferences page, you see the following:
cYK3mVv.png

Posting to agree with Aqua/Chris/Metal here. expanding will always turn the forum into something else. Slowly if not rapidly. There's hunderds of game discussion forums. Little if any that focused on sales.

Quoted by: Kye
Late to the discussion, but I agree with the general consensus here. As much as I love the idea of "one website for all discussions", there is a lot of value with this website being solely about video game sales and I truly think something special is being built here.

Name some.
What are you looking for exactly? general or specfic game?
Reddit has curated subreddit for everything (IE Games,Console subreddit,specfic game subreddit)
Gamefaqs
4chan
Neogaf/resetera etc
these are some of the biggest english sites i know of.

Quoted by: Kye
What are you looking for exactly? general or specfic game?
Reddit has curated subreddit for everything (IE Games,Console subreddit,specfic game subreddit)
Gamefaqs
4chan
Twitter/Resetera/neogaf etc
these are some of the biggest english sites i know of.
I figured you'd be following the discussion. None of those are options for me.

Thanks anyway.

I figured you'd be following the discussion. None of those are options for me.

Thanks anyway.
There are also forums created by platform specific communities that left resetera: famiboards for Nintendo oriented talk, unsure what the names of the PC and Xbox community forums are, though others here may know them.

And there are also various sales (and non sales) gaming related Discords, with the sales ones having areas for general gaming discussion as well (at least the one I am familiar with does). The one I am familiar with is the Gaming Sales Community discord which nicely enough also served as an organizing ground for Installbase .

No need to insult people for trying to help.
What? Where did I insult someone?

There are also forums created by platform specific communities that left resetera: famiboards for Nintendo oriented talk, unsure what the names of the PC and Xbox community forums are, though others here may know them.

And there are also various sales (and non sales) gaming related Discords, with the sales ones having areas for general gaming discussion as well (at least the one I am familiar with does). The one I am familiar with is the Gaming Sales Community discord which nicely enough also served as an organizing ground for Installbase .
The PC one is called Metacouncil.
The Xbox one is called XboxEra.
And of course Famiboards for Nintendo discussion, as you said.

Okay, thank you. I will check those out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I want to agree with the suggestion that a good way to expand would be an offtopic sales forum, eventually. I assume that people interested in gaming sales discussion might be interested in box office figures, manga/anime sales and stuff of the sort. And I also don't see it as expanding the scope of the forum that immensely. I wouldn't expect it right now or anything, but I don't think it's a bad idea in the future.

Okay, reading it back, I can see how it could be construed as rude. I just figured since he made more than one post on the subject in here that he saw I already mentioned those sites and maybe expected me to explain why I'm not using them, or something. Sorry.

Last edited:
Posting here, because I still got no reply asking why this thread was closed: https://www.installbaseforum.com/fo...on-nintendo-switch-read-op-before-voting.533/

As I said, the given reason makes no sense, because the thread is mainly about the poll, and it's very likely that next time SE mentions the game, they'll also mention the platforms. So it most definitely is not 'too early' for that prediction.

I thought that was an utmost innocuous thread idea that's fun and interesting, but right now I feel like I did something wrong and am being punished for something. That a reply hasn't come last night means I'm either being ignored or there's some heated internal debate, and neither feels necessary over a simple prediction thread. :(

Thx

Posting here, because I still got no reply asking why this thread was closed: https://www.installbaseforum.com/fo...on-nintendo-switch-read-op-before-voting.533/

As I said, the given reason makes no sense, because the thread is mainly about the poll, and it's very likely that next time SE mentions the game, they'll also mention the platforms. So it most definitely is not 'too early' for that prediction.

I thought that was an utmost innocuous thread idea that's fun and interesting, but right now I feel like I did something wrong and am being punished for something. That a reply hasn't come last night means I'm either being ignored or there's some heated internal debate, and neither feels necessary over a simple prediction thread. :(

Thx

I think the reason stated in the topic was rather concise and left no place for interpretation
There also was a clear consensus amongst the staff about the decision, what we've seen since install base started (and even before on resetera) made it pretty clear that this topic wouldn't end well in all likelihood, brings a ton of concern from both staff and readers and just be a time sink in term of proper moderation involvement all for the purpose of a thread whose added value wouldn't be worth it to top it off.

What we've known about the project is a title screen and Enix strategy regarding DQ the past few years, if the poll is all that matters to you then by all means I think you're free to create one and share the link in the M-C/Square-Enix thread or other appropriate topics.

As far as discussion is concerned Joseki summed it up yesterday rather well, and I assume most regular probably understood it that way as well

(As usual in this thread this a post about sharing personal opinion, other mods/staff take on the matter may vary)

Last edited:
I think the reason stated in the topic was rather concise and left no place for interpretation
There also was a clear consensus amongst the staff about the decision, what we've seen since install base started (and even before on resetera) made it pretty clear that this topic wouldn't end well in all likelihood, brings a ton of concern from both staff and readers and just be a time sink in term of proper moderation involvement all for the purpose of a thread whose added value wouldn't be worth it to top it off.

What we've known about the project is a title screen and Enix strategy regarding DQ the past few years, if the poll is all that matters to you then by all means I think you're free to create one and share the link in the M-C/Square-Enix thread or other appropriate topics.

As far as discussion is concerned oseki summed it up yesterday rather well, and I assume most regular probably understood it that way as well

(As usual in this thread this a post about sharing personal opinion, other mods/staff take on the matter may vary)
This answer further confuses me, because I don't understand the continued 'that thread would cause misfortune and fighting'. What.

It's a simple thread to poll the people of IB. I'd have thought that we're mature enough to handle something like that. Just vote, done. People can handle MC predictions, why not something more simple?

Again, it feels like I committed some grave violation, except I don't see what. Predicting platforms for DQ12 is not some big politicum, and those who make it one for emotional investment probably shouldn't be on IB.

I still hope that the thread will be re-opened. Just add a disclaimer 'no discussion, only voting' if you must ...

Thx
I'm obviously not linked to the forum staff, but here is my opinion:

What kind of discussion where you expecting from a thread like that? The "japanese third party are biased to playstation and west" debacle? The "Square Enix is biased to Playstation" debacle? These are the only possible outcomes I can think for a thread of such theme, and I, personally, believe these could be very well debated in already existing threads, like Square Enix Output thread, and are already raised weekly (if not daily) on Media Create thread.

My opinion aside, Dragon Quest 12 is a PNG and some small 'news' here and there. There is nothing concrete to discuss at all. I could set a prediction thread about whether a BOTW 2 would have a Grappling Hook or not, after looking that someone hired by Nintendo have experience with games that feature grappling hooks, with the premise that a grappling hook could skyrocket BOTW 2 sales (so it would not be off-topic), but in the end the thread would end up being a discussion about nothing based on nothing, which doesn't sit well with the forum premise.

Just to be clear, I don't mean to be offensive with this answer and I am not saying that you did something wrong, just stating my opinion. Also, I think you're overthinking this matter, I see no action that indicate you are being punished at all.

Again, it feels like I committed some grave violation, except I don't see what. Predicting platforms for DQ12 is not some big politicum, and those who make it one for emotional investment probably shouldn't be on IB.
You shouldn't feel personally attacked by the mods for closing the thread. The staff and many members have come from NeoGAF and Resetera, and we've had our fair share of highly speculative threads that end up in blind fighting and shouting rather than fruitful discussion. Right now, there's so little known about DQXII that the thread would easily degenerate into something similar, and we rather avoid that. Again, this isn't some personal attack. This doesn't change our appreciation of your contributions to the discussions on the forum.

What kind of discussion where you expecting from a thread like that?
None.

It's a prediction thread, like the various other prediction threads where people post their prediction, the end.

That's why I still don't understand the 'discussion would be bad' argument. There wouldn't be discussion.

None.

It's a prediction thread, like the various other prediction threads where people post their prediction, the end.

That's why I still don't understand the 'discussion would be bad' argument. There wouldn't be discussion.
But there would have been. You can't prevent people from discussing, even if you wrote in capital letters "VOTE, DO NOT DISCUSS". And this would have escalated very quickly. That is at least what most think here, and personally I concur.

But there would have been. You can't prevent people from discussing, even if you wrote in capital letters "VOTE, DO NOT DISCUSS". And this would have escalated very quickly. That is at least what most think here, and personally I concur.
I have a higher opinion of the people in this community, so I don't think speculating about DQ12's platform would "escalate". But it seems I have no chance here, so I'll stop it with this posting. I'm still sad, because that would have been fun being able to look back at the vote results depending on how the reality turns out once SE makes the official announcement. Oh well ....

Is there a place to ask sales related questions that don't neatly fit into any existing thread?
Hm, not really. I guess a proper 'introduction to sales analysis' thread would be a good idea, but it would take some time to make. (If there's any volunteers, please tell me!). For now, I think you can ask your question in this thread.

Thanks. I’ve always wondered about the JRPG situation on Xbox platforms. I know they sell better on PlayStation and now Switch, but I want to know if anyone ever bothered to break out western sales specifically and then control for the difference in install bases. How much of the difference in sales comes down to Japan and the size of install bases, and how much of it is audience preference.

Back
Top Bottom