• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Community Discussion and Moderation Feedback

Is there a dark mode?
Sorry about not letting you know. I enabled it yesterday and forgot to make a post.

I'm pretty sure the feature was there when i got accepted but it's not that bad as long as you remember to finish reading a page before you close a tab.
It was essential while lurking in ResetEra tho since i didn't have an account and had to bookmark the latest comments.

A nitpick i have: Most of the time OP/Original Poster is used (e.g. General Guidelines) but the comments are also marked with "Thread starter".
Is it too distracting? For me I like it since it stands out more in comparison to the "OP" over the profile.

Is there a dark mode?
Not at the moment. I've been occupied with other higher priority work. It will be done at some point.

Alright, the dark mode is here everyone!

You can change the website style to dark mode at the bottom left of every page (in the footer of the page).

Please leave your feedback in this thread.

finally the dark mode is here <3

Is it possible to highlight threads with unread comments slightly better (maybe with an icon)?
On my phone i'm having trouble recognizing those threads and i often have to scroll to see other threads to compare the font.
Is it too distracting? For me I like it since it stands out more in comparison to the "OP" over the profile.
It's not that distracting. The different wording is just a minor thing that "bothers" me (and maybe nobody else).

I don't use dark mode either, more stress to the eyes and I'm posting at work so light mode make the pages seem work-related.

Now is there a button to turn off avatar and/or images please?

I'm a developer (health care, not games) so i'm glad that our IDEs and most tools have dark modes since it reduces the strain on my eyes

I don't use dark mode either, more stress to the eyes and I'm posting at work so light mode make the pages seem work-related.

Now is there a button to turn off avatar and/or images please?
A few people mentioned wanting this so it's on my list.

This is far from important, but would it be possible to enable the "+Quote" button in locked threads? So you can add it and insert it into a post in another thread?

Just noticing this issue now since I wanted to reply to a post from last week's MCS thread in the new thread, but can't quote them directly since the thread is locked

This is far from important, but would it be possible to enable the "+Quote" button in locked threads? So you can add it and insert it into a post in another thread?

Just noticing this issue now since I wanted to reply to a post from last week's MCS thread in the new thread, but can't quote them directly since the thread is locked
I looked into it briefly and it doesn't seem simple to do. Will spend some time in the future.

Am I the only one that never felt comfortable using dark mode.
Nope! There are platforms like Youtube and Discord that I use dark mode. But almost everything else I use light mode. (including here)

Find my eyes liking dark mode overall unless its just too used to a layout before customization.

Considering that this a gaming sales forum, one idea I had is a calendar feature that displays upcoming earnings results dates for various public gaming companies.

I imagine most people weren't aware that a few Japanese third parties already posted their results. The only reason a thread wasn't made was that there wasn't anything notable ignoring the financials.

Of course some gaming companies don't even put out the exact date on their IR Calendar (Looking at you Square Enix...) so it can be hard to track.

Anyway, if a calendar feature is difficult to implement and maintain (because it needs someone to update at each quarter) then it can just be implemented in a thread updated by users.

Considering that this a gaming sales forum, one idea I had is a calendar feature that displays upcoming earnings results dates for various public gaming companies.

I imagine most people weren't aware that a few Japanese third parties already posted their results. The only reason a thread wasn't made was that there wasn't anything notable ignoring the financials.

Of course some gaming companies don't even put out the exact date on their IR Calendar (Looking at you Square Enix...) so it can be hard to track.

Anyway, if a calendar feature is difficult to implement and maintain (because it needs someone to update at each quarter) then it can just be implemented in a thread updated by users.
Aqua has written a post based on your suggestion here: https://www.installbaseforum.com/forums/threads/upcoming-corporate-earnings-calendar.206/

In the future we'll look at creating a calendar page.

I think there should be a thread creation request thread for those with insufficient privileges.
Sounds to me like a good idea. In such a case someone else will create the thread for them, right?
We've taken these comments in account and have had discussions about this. We'll announce our plans in the near future.

Is there the ability to have a "New Threads" page, similar to new posts?

I've always found myself using it, especially being in Australia, with most of the forum activity and news occuring when i'm asleep or at work, its always a nice easy way to scroll through all the news...

@Jaysc Please add the ability for thread creators to have complete title control over their threads. They should be able to change their thread titles indefinitely after creation to correct errors, to add or remove prefixes, or to reflect frequent updates in sales threads. Thank you!

Edit: Thanks for adding! You're the best @Jaysc!

Last edited:
I got an anti-bot captcha check while being logged in, that can't be right?

I was a light mode person for a long time. I just couldn't go... to the dark side. Eventually I surrendered and now I use dark mode too. Sometimes dark, sometimes light.
Anyway, I love the dark mode colors.

If possible, it would really help if one could enable searches in one's conversations, I have several veeerrry long ones with many participants and it is a huge waste of time that I don't have when I need to look for something specific in any of them.

If possible, it would really help if one could enable searches in one's conversations, I have several veeerrry long ones with many participants and it is a huge waste of time that I don't have when I need to look for something specific in any of them.
There isn't a native Xenforo way to do this, and there's only one addon I can find that will require us to pay so it's something we could do in the future.

There isn't a native Xenforo way to do this, and there's only one addon I can find that will require us to pay so it's something we could do in the future.
Thanks for checking! I didn't really need it at era, but was under the impression that resetera searches also showed results from my conversations. Either I am wrong or they had that addon.

Not intervening in favor of Chairman, personally I also had issues with their style in multiple posts. But you have to give Ken some sort of tag, they can't go on posting fierce warnings (I myself asked Maki some time ago who Ken was, given that he was issuing warnings yet seemed to be a regular member) - without some identifier it looks like Ken is a regular poster who thinks of themselves as a mod, and that will invite anatagonism (again, not justifying Chairman specifically who did many things wrong imo)...

Not intervening in favor of Chairman, personally I also had issues with their style in multiple posts. But you have to give Ken some sort of tag, they can't go on posting fierce warnings (I myself asked Maki some time ago who Ken was, given that he was issuing warnings yet seemed to be a regular member) - without some identifier it looks like Ken is a regular poster who thinks of themselves as a mod, and that will invite anatagonism (again, not justifying Chairman specifically who did many things wrong imo)...
Yep sorry, it was a miss on our end. We'll implement the tag as soon as possible ;)

Yep sorry, it was a miss on our end. We'll implement the tag as soon as possible ;)
You should also ask DarkDetective to have Ken added to the part of the OP where the moderators are listed to keep it consistent with the Staff List post.

I was referring to this part of the OP of This Thread, Ken isn't on here, unless I just can't see it.
It’s funny cuz I remember his name as the mod but when he did post I felt as lik

Like random news/talk/games that people are playing/etc?

Ahh I see. He was added here

But will have add him in this thread

We look at numbers and graphs all day and it is good. But what could be better is if we have a thread that shows us what that looks like. Lines, store shelves, displays, etc from all around the world.

I had some questions about moderation.
Sorry if it was already answered and I missed it!

There has been the thing about a new moderator a few posts above (and in other threads), and...
  • Wasn't the point of IB that new mods should be elected or at least promoted in a different manner than usual past the initial launch?
  • If more mods were needed immediately, has this been said anywhere?
  • Why X user was chosen specifically now (reason of promotion, reason of timing, etc)?
  • Could we get a global notification or similar (like survey results) when a mod is added so the community is aware? Would be better than "you should have checked the form published in this small thread in this corner" that feels very much like a local administration.
Nothing negative about it, just for clarifications.
Thanks!

I had some questions about moderation.
Sorry if it was already answered and I missed it!

There has been the thing about a new moderator a few posts above (and in other threads), and...
  • Wasn't the point of IB that new mods should be elected or at least promoted in a different manner than usual past the initial launch?
  • If more mods were needed immediately, has this been said anywhere?
  • Why X user was chosen specifically now (reason of promotion, reason of timing, etc)?
  • Could we get a global notification or similar (like survey results) when a mod is added so the community is aware? Would be better than "you should have checked the form published in this small thread in this corner" that feels very much like a local administration.
Nothing negative about it, just for clarifications.
Thanks!
It's a bit of a misunderstanding. Ken has been involved since the beginning, because he's a moderator of the "rescue Discord server" and helped with the migration. However, the team wasn't sure whether he would become a moderator for the forum. He hadn't made a decision on this himself either. When we launched the website, there still was no decision made on this, so he wasn't listed as a mod. However, as we were approving more and more people, and the mod team were still finding their way, he was a great helping hand, which is why he was added to the team. I agree that we could've been clearer in our communication, especially because he was added on the Staff List, but not on the list in the OP of this thread. I'm sorry for this; this is my fault and I could've handled this in a much better way.

We have our ideal situation, our ideal plan, but when we created the forum, there were a lot of things to do and so some things didn't follow the ideal path. The members of the first mod team (the one we have today) have been chosen because of their capabilities, which we collected through the 1st Install Base Community Survey, and, on top of that, because they are prominent and recognisable members of the community.

The plan to involve the community in an annual reflection moment, both for admins and the moderation team, is unchanged. We do not have an exact date for that yet, but probably shortly before the forum celebrates its first anniversary. Of course there will be multiple other occasions to provide feedback before then, as we've done with the last survey (and there will be some internal feedback moments as well). Of course everyone is always welcome to leave feedback in this thread, or contact a staff member privately through DMs at any time.

Setting up Install Base has been quite a learning experience so far for the staff. I hope everyone will be graceful as we will continue to make mistakes and learn from them for the future. I hope we're approachable to all members; I don't want to create this feeling that the staff is ruling this space from some ivory tower. We're a small tight-knit community, so that short distance between staff and members is even more important than usual.

It's a bit of a misunderstanding. Ken has been involved since the beginning, because he's a moderator of the "rescue Discord server" and helped with the migration. However, the team wasn't sure whether he would become a moderator for the forum. He hadn't made a decision on this himself either. When we launched the website, there still was no decision made on this, so he wasn't listed as a mod. However, as we were approving more and more people, and the mod team were still finding their way, he was a great helping hand, which is why he was added to the team. I agree that we could've been clearer in our communication, especially because he was added on the Staff List, but not on the list in the OP of this thread. I'm sorry for this; this is my fault and I could've handled this in a much better way.

We have our ideal situation, our ideal plan, but when we created the forum, there were a lot of things to do and so some things didn't follow the ideal path. The members of the first mod team (the one we have today) have been chosen because of their capabilities, which we collected through the 1st Install Base Community Survey, and, on top of that, because they are prominent and recognisable members of the community.

The plan to involve the community in an annual reflection moment, both for admins and the moderation team, is unchanged. We do not have an exact date for that yet, but probably shortly before the forum celebrates its first anniversary. Of course there will be multiple other occasions to provide feedback before then, as we've done with the last survey (and there will be some internal feedback moments as well). Of course everyone is always welcome to leave feedback in this thread, or contact a staff member privately through DMs at any time.

Setting up Install Base has been quite a learning experience so far for the staff. I hope everyone will be graceful as we will continue to make mistakes and learn from them for the future. I hope we're approachable to all members; I don't want to create this feeling that the staff is ruling this space from some ivory tower. We're a small tight-knit community, so that short distance between staff and members is even more important than usual.
Thanks for the long reply!
There's not this feeling at all, but I (and apparently other members) definitely didn't know the situation for Ken, and it seems it was indeed a miscommunication problem.
For what it's worth, I don't think him being added in the OP would have necessarily helped a lot, as it was the addition itself that seemed to be "stealthy" (for lack of a better term).

Thanks for the other details too! I have no worries about that either, as said earlier, I just wanted some clarifications, and the survey proved people are happy with the moderation right now. We just need to be sure there's transparency on the level of additions/removals/changes on this level (and others) and not just a post being edited.
If there was more than that, sorry about that, I lurk more than post nowadays, but not necessarily checking most threads. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the long reply!
There's not this feeling at all, but I (and apparently other members) definitely didn't know the situation for Ken, and it seems it was indeed a miscommunication problem.
For what it's worth, I don't think him being added in the OP would have necessarily helped a lot, as it was the addition itself that seemed to be "stealthy" (for lack of a better term).

Thanks for the other details too! I have no worries about that either, as said earlier, I just wanted some clarifications, and the survey proved people are happy with the moderation right now. We just need to be sure there's transparency on the level of additions/removals/changes on this level (and others) and not just a post being edited.
If there was more than that, sorry about that, I lurk more than post nowadays, but not necessarily checking most threads. Keep up the good work!
You're right and I agree. Thanks. :)

So, this is the place to discuss moderation feedback, right? :)

I'd like to discuss today's multiple derails. I see two main problems:

1. The problem in the developers discussion was not so much the content imo, it was the language used. On the one hand, at least a couple of people used rude language unnecessarily ("delusional", and something with farts) to make their points about this or that company or developer. On the other hand the person who got irritated by the general topic at hand (and at least one other) made grand allusions and used hyperbole, creating straw men for things that no one said so as to make everyone thinking differently appear ridiculous. This was insulting. So again, the problem was not the content of the arguments (which I felt is what you guys addressed?), but the way the arguments were made by various people.

2. Xenoblade 2 talk - is this forum the place for discussions about how some people (strongly) feel about certain aspects of the game ? I love the game, but the same question could be asked about Pokemon games quality (games which are of no interest to me except from a sales point of view). Or any other game where there are contrarian groups, some of them very loud and eager to derail. These discussions always lead nowhere except to derails.
I believe this forum is not the place for such discussions (except perhaps from a pure sales point of view, without directly or in a roundabout way insulting people who hold other opinions)- but if it indeed is not, what can be done to prevent this? Is there some rule one can enforce? Maybe "thread derail" ?

Last edited:
So, this is the place to discuss moderation feedback, right? :)

I'd like to discuss today's multiple derails. I see two main problems:

1. The problem in the developers discussion was not so much the content imo, it was the language used. On the one hand, at least a couple of people used rude language unnecessarily ("delusional", and something with farts) to make their points about this or that company or developer. On the other hand the person who got irritated by the general topic at hand (and at least one other) made grand allusions and used hyperbole, creating straw men for things that no one said so as to make everyone thinking differently appear ridiculous. This was insulting. So again, the problem was not the content of the arguments (which I felt is what you guys addressed?), but the way the arguments were made by various people.

2. Xenoblade 2 talk - is this forum the place for discussions about how some people (strongly) feel about certain aspects of the game ? I love the game, but the same question could be asked about Pokemon games quality (games which are of no interest to me except from a sales point of view). Or any other game where there are contrarian groups, some of them very loud and eager to derail. These discussions always lead nowhere except to derails.
I believe this forum is not the place for such discussions (except perhaps from a pure sales point of view, without directly or in a roundabout way insulting people who hold other opinions)- but if it indeed is not, what can be done to prevent this? Is there some rule one can enforce? Maybe "thread derail" ?
Thanks for your feedback, this is the definitely the right place, and we're always welcome for it.

1. We can see this is an issue. From my perspective it's a difficult thing to solve as it's the person posting that needs to change themselves, which can also get very difficult when in a heated argument. That said, if people keep report these sorts of posts then we usually contact them directly and let them know, as well as keep an eye on their future behaviour. We also don't want to control discussions too as everyone should be free to post what they want without worry (as long as it follows the rules). I believe @DarkDetective also wanted to make a post about constructing discussions in the future.

2. This is difficult to solve and we also haven't found a conclusive answer for this problem. We want to focus on gaming sales, but talking about gaming sales will lead to gaming discussions. We know that gaming discussions can cause huge arguments so we wanted to avoid it, but these discussion do keep popping up. My personal opinion is we need some sort of area to round up these misc topics that are unrelated to sales, but nothing is on the table yet.

To reiterate, these are my opinion's, not the whole team. They are welcome to chime in if they want.
Also if anyone doesn't want to publicly talk about these things the do feel free to contact the team.

Back
Top Bottom