• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Sales Overview for Nintendo-franchises

Numbers updated with WW sales as of Nintendo's FQ2 2022 numbers

(Will update Japanese numbers with Celine's update, I don't trust myself doing calculations >_>)

EDIT: Updated to include latest Japanese numbers, too. November 18th 2022.

Last edited:
Just noticed, you didn't update all numbers that we got from the last CESA yet. And you forgot RFA.
Oh, which ones did I forget? Maybe I missed some of the incoming updates.

Edit: Ah, I saw. I thought the pdf-file posted by mazi was the same as the nintendo website-link. So I missed RFA, some Pokemon and Super Mario Party? Will update these soon.

Last edited:
Oh, which ones did I forget? Maybe I missed some of the incoming updates.
Just check all Switch games. You must have forgotten to update when the last CESA White Book released.
Celine has them updated in his thread except for todays updates.

I've been wondering- according to GDL, Mystery of the Emblem is the best-selling Fire Emblem game in Japan. But of course GDL only tracks physical sales, so for the modern games we have to guess the how much they sold digitally, Which, if any of the modern Fire Emblem games has surpassed Mystery?

Fates would need to have sold ~237,000 digital copies, which would mean at least ~31% of sales were digital.

Awakening would need ~291,000 digital copies, which would mean at least ~38% of sales were digital.

Three Houses would need ~452,000 digital copies, which would mean at least ~58% of sales were digital.

Shadows of Valentia would need ~576,000 digital copies, which would mean at least ~74% of sales were digital.

Does anyone know enough about digital/physical sales ratios in order to determine whether these thresholds are realistic? I would find it very strange if Mystery actually was the best selling FE game in Japan. My intuition tells me that Fates surpassed it and SoV did not, but I'm not sure about Awakening or Three Houses.

Updated numbers with Nintendo's FY 2023-report numbers

Is there a reason as to why xenoblade 2 numbers dont reflect the cesa 2021 numbers?
I actually believe there was a reason why I didn't pick up the 2,44 mio figure, but I totally cannot remember why, so I'll update it in a bit. From what I see the XB:DE sales are also outdated. Will check everything. Thx for telling me.

EDIT: I actually must have missed an entire report. Lots of additional updates I made. List should be fully up-to-date now, but as usual: If you find an outdated sales number, feel free to notify me.

Last edited:
I actually believe there was a reason why I didn't pick up the 2,44 mio figure, but I totally cannot remember why, so I'll update it in a bit. From what I see the XB:DE sales are also outdated. Will check everything. Thx for telling me.

EDIT: I actually must have missed an entire report. Lots of additional updates I made. List should be fully up-to-date now, but as usual: If you find an outdated sales number, feel free to notify me.
You missed a few.
Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit is at 1.58M.
Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes is at 1M.
New Super Mario Bros. 2 is at 13.41M and Super Mario 3D Land is at 12.87M.
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury is at 11.38M.
The original 3D World is at 5.89M and the original New Super Mario Bros. U is at 5.82M.
You have Yoshi's Crafted World a bit to high at 3.05 instead of 3.01M
Majora's Mask 3D is at 3.43M.
And lastly you didn't include Wind Waker HD (2.37M) and Twilight Princess HD (1.15M).

Otherwise good work.

Last edited:
You missed a few.
Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit is at 1.58M.
Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes is at 1M.
New Super Mario Bros. 2 is at 13.41M and Super Mario 3D Land is at 12.87M.
Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury is at 11.38M.
The original 3D World is at 5.89M and the original New Super Mario Bros. U is at 5.82M.
You have Yoshi's Crafted World a bit to high at 3.05 instead of 3.01M
Majora's Mask 3D is at 3.43M.
And lastly you didn't include Wind Waker HD (2.37M) and Twilight Princess HD (1.15M).

Otherwise good work.

Could you provide a source for your numbers?

Yoshi's Crafted World-number comes from @Celine 's thread, so it should be accurate: https://www.installbaseforum.com/fo...hardware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.170/

Could you provide a source for your numbers?

Yoshi's Crafted World-number comes from @Celine 's thread, so it should be accurate: https://www.installbaseforum.com/fo...hardware-sales-data-from-1983-to-present.170/
He must have made a typo.
The CESA White Paper has Yoshi at 3.01M.
Post in thread 'Nintendo software and hardware sales data from 1983 to present' https://www.installbaseforum.com/fo...ales-data-from-1983-to-present.170/post-97338

The other numbers you should be able to find here on the forum and all the links I already gave you here in this thread.

He must have made a typo.
The CESA White Paper has Yoshi at 3.01M.
Post in thread 'Nintendo software and hardware sales data from 1983 to present' https://www.installbaseforum.com/fo...ales-data-from-1983-to-present.170/post-97338

The other numbers you should be able to find here on the forum and all the links I already gave you here in this thread.
I will check the above link. But your "go look for yourself" for the other numbers is kinda insulting. I'm thankful for any corrections, but a source must be given and not "find it yourself". So thanks for the given link.

I will check the above link. But your "go look for yourself" for the other numbers is kinda insulting. I'm thankful for any corrections, but a source must be given and not "find it yourself". So thanks for the given link.
The links are in this thread:

Thanks, but that's exactly the issue: Wikipedia-articles often use less than perfect sources. I've seen Wiki-articles using Chartz, so every game requires an extra-check what the original source is. Ofc, numbers from Nintendo themselves are safe.

Thanks, but that's exactly the issue: Wikipedia-articles often use less than perfect sources. I've seen Wiki-articles using Chartz, so every game requires an extra-check what the original source is. Ofc, numbers from Nintendo themselves are safe.
VGChartz is completely banned as a source on Wikipedia.
Just look at the sources of each number in the articles.

VGChartz is completely banned as a source on Wikipedia.
Just look at the sources of each number in the articles.
Wasn't always like that in the past, but it seems to be now. Updated all the numbers and added the two Zeldas. Also noticed that Pokemon Ultra Sun/Moon were missing, so thanks for that, too. Also added some incremental changes to Wii U/3DS-titles that were up like 0.01 units on Nintendo's website.

Updated all numbers with recent Nintendo financial reports numbers and CESA White Paper-numbers.

Noteable omission: Pikmin 4; afaik it hasn't yet been part of any financial reports, so instead of just picking the latest weekly Famitsu ltd number, I will wait until we get an official ltd by one of the quarterly reports. Just in case any Pikmin-fans were wondering :>

Updated all numbers with recent Nintendo financial reports numbers and CESA White Paper-numbers.

Noteable omission: Pikmin 4; afaik it hasn't yet been part of any financial reports, so instead of just picking the latest weekly Famitsu ltd number, I will wait until we get an official ltd by one of the quarterly reports. Just in case any Pikmin-fans were wondering :>
Just noticed, you're missing the global sales number for 1080 Snowboarding. It sold 2.03M.

Just noticed, you're missing the global sales number for 1080 Snowboarding. It sold 2.03M.
As always, pls give me a source link for any numbers, thx. I'd especially appreciate it here, because I just couldn't find 1080 Snowboardng numbers :)

I wish F-Zero had done better as a franchise. I loved the original, and played the hell out of it back in the SNES days. F-Zero 64 was fun as well. But it seems like Nintendo has abandoned the series. It's been almost 20 years since the last entry.

Thanks for the hard work, this is a nice project which builds on Celine's years-long efforts.

I would just mention somewhere that for many games, the last available WW and JP updates aren't synchronous. This is particularly relevant for leggy games which haven't cleared 1M in Japan.

The Japan LTD of TotK is missing. According to Nintendo, it's 3.26 M (https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2023/230803_2e.pdf).
Thx, will add it later.
Thanks for the hard work, this is a nice project which builds on Celine's years-long efforts.

I would just mention somewhere that for many games, the last available WW and JP updates aren't synchronous. This is particularly relevant for leggy games which haven't cleared 1M in Japan.
Thx, but what exactly do you mean? That I use the latest available numbers is kinda obvious, isn't it? But if you find it important to point out, I could add a line in the OP, ofc. Just has thought that this would be obvious for IB-users, since we know that Japanese numbers are much more frequent than ww sales updates.

Thx, but what exactly do you mean? That I use the latest available numbers is kinda obvious, isn't it? But if you find it important to point out, I could add a line in the OP, ofc. Just has thought that this would be obvious for IB-users, since we know that Japanese numbers are much more frequent than ww sales updates.
I meant exactly the opposite. For games which are over 1M WW but not in Japan, such as our beloved XC2, or FE3H, ARMS, Pikmin 3D, etc. we get yearly updates on their WW sales from CESA, but we haven't had any update on their domestic totals since their first FY (or worse, we are using the latest available Famitsu number if higher than the latest official shipment from Nintendo, and ignoring the digital sales which were already included in that shipment). If anyone lacking this knowledge takes a look at these charts, they will conclude, for example, that XC2 only sold 10-15% of its total in Japan, when the actual ratio should be 25-30%.

Ideally each and every reported number would have a latest update date by its side, like in Celine's charts. But I understand this would mess up the clear and straightforward format of your tables, so perhaps you could mark with a symbol those games whose latest WW and JP updates are from different FYs or, at the very least, I would put a disclaimer in the explanation of the thread.

I meant exactly the opposite. For games which are over 1M WW but not in Japan, such as our beloved XC2, or FE3H, ARMS, Pikmin 3D, etc. we get yearly updates on their WW sales from CESA, but we haven't had any update on their domestic totals since their first FY (or worse, we are using the latest available Famitsu number if higher than the latest official shipment from Nintendo, and ignoring the digital sales which were already included in that shipment). If anyone lacking this knowledge takes a look at these charts, they will conclude, for example, that XC2 only sold 10-15% of its total in Japan, when the actual ratio should be 25-30%.

Ideally each and every reported number would have a latest update date by its side, like in Celine's charts. But I understand this would mess up the clear and straightforward format of your tables, so perhaps you could mark with a symbol those games whose latest WW and JP updates are from different FYs or, at the very least, I would put a disclaimer in the explanation of the thread.
I will absolutely not mark each game individually, that would be such an enormous amount of work ...
Since I understand your point, though, I will add a line in the methodology in the OP about it.

Numbers finally updated with new Nintendo FY report data. As always, if you can find numbers that still require an update, feel welcome to tell me (including a source!).

Numbers finally updated with new Nintendo FY report data. As always, if you can find numbers that still require an update, feel welcome to tell me (including a source!).
Kirby and the Forgotten Land was at 6.96M as of September 30th 2023.
Twilight Princess on the Wii is at 7.5M.
Kirby's Return to Dreamland on the Wii is at 1.93M.
Super Mario 3D Land is at 12.88M and Animal Crossing: New Leaf is at 13.05M.

Miitopia is at 1.79M from the last white book and Metroid Dread is at 3.07M. The 3.04M was a typo from whoever posted the numbers here. You can check Celine's thread for that.

I want to give you a little reminder, that the 2.4M from New Pokémon Snap does not include Japan. So the 340k Japan retail could be added to the total.

Additionally you may have seen some of that already, but there was a leak that showed us some numbers up until June 30th 2023. Celine's thread has them already updated (Splatoon 3 has already gotten new numbers since then as of December from Nintendo directly).

Those include Pokémon Legends Arceus at 15M, Link's Awakening at 6.63M, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 at 2.74M, Mario Strikers: Battle League at 2.63M, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and Definitive Edition both at 1.91M, Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe at 1.82M, Fire Emblem Engage at 1.68M, Metroid Prime Remastered at 1.36M and Bayonetta 3 at 1.09M.

Thank you.

Kirby and the Forgotten Land was at 6.96M as of September 30th 2023.
Twilight Princess on the Wii is at 7.5M.
Kirby's Return to Dreamland on the Wii is at 1.93M.
Super Mario 3D Land is at 12.88M and Animal Crossing: New Leaf is at 13.05M.

Miitopia is at 1.79M from the last white book and Metroid Dread is at 3.07M. The 3.04M was a typo from whoever posted the numbers here. You can check Celine's thread for that.

I want to give you a little reminder, that the 2.4M from New Pokémon Snap does not include Japan. So the 340k Japan retail could be added to the total.

Additionally you may have seen some of that already, but there was a leak that showed us some numbers up until June 30th 2023. Celine's thread has them already updated (Splatoon 3 has already gotten new numbers since then as of December from Nintendo directly).

Those include Pokémon Legends Arceus at 15M, Link's Awakening at 6.63M, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 at 2.74M, Mario Strikers: Battle League at 2.63M, Xenoblade Chronicles 3 and Definitive Edition both at 1.91M, Kirby's Return to Dreamland Deluxe at 1.82M, Fire Emblem Engage at 1.68M, Metroid Prime Remastered at 1.36M and Bayonetta 3 at 1.09M.

Thank you.
Thx, updated everything, except Bayonetta which I haven't added as a franchise yet. There's actually lots of smaller, often one-off franchises I need to add. Maybe I'll take the time soon-ish to make sure this thread truly has every Nintendo-franchise in it :)

Back
Top Bottom