• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Where Does Square Enix's HD-2D Line Go From Here?

Ishaan

Expert
Localization, Historian, Reporter
GUI51oL.jpg

Apologies in advance for the lengthy OP, but I promise it's a thoughtful and informative read.

THE SUCCESS OF HD-2D

The first Octopath Traveler had lot going for it. It was a new IP targeted at an audience that had grown up with the RPG genre, presented with an eye-catching visual style, just enough modern conveniences to balance out its old-school approach, and was announced alongside an exciting new platform.

In short, it was a novel product announced/released on the right platform at the right time, and went on to see admirable sales over the next several years. It was at 2.5 million units shipped as of Feb 2021, and is at over 3 million today.

The HD-2D announcements that followed in the wake of Octopath 1 suggested that Square Enix understood that this "novelty" was a crucial factor in the success of its HD-2D portfolio. Triangle Strategy was an SRPG, Live-A-Live was a rare, long-lost game, and Dragon Quest 3 was a remake of a beloved game with a built-in audience.

Each of these games went on to do reasonably well for what it was. Triangle Strategy sold 800,000 units globally within two weeks of release and eventually legged its way to 1 million. Live-A-Live followed shortly after and sold over 500,000 units over the course of two months. Meanwhile, DQ3 will undoubtedly do very well, too, carried primarily by its in-built audience in Japan.

8TIVaVy.png

However, early signs point to Octopath Traveler 2 not doing quite as well as the first game in Japan, and the general consensus appears to be that it will not have the long tail its predecessor did globally, either. My belief is that this is almost entirely to do with the fact that Octopath Traveler 2 doesn't have the "novelty" or "hook" of the other HD-2D games before it. It's an excellent sequel by all accounts, but one that is fairly by-the-numbers and the fourth HD-2D game to be announced in a relatively short span of time.

Some have theorized that Square didn't market the game well enough, but I would contend it has seen sufficient marketing for what it is. It got a lengthy showing at TGS, has seen several character-driven trailers that do a good job of introducing its playable cast, was featured in Nintendo Direct, and received a demo prior to release just like every HD-2D game before it. OT2 is a game for an audience that is very much in tune with games/RPGs, and I don't believe a larger marketing budget would make much of a difference to its sales. Instead, I believe the lack of a clear and novel hook will be the primary factor in any drop-off in sales from OT1.

WHERE TO GO FROM HERE?

Regardless of one's thoughts on why OT2 may not do as well as its predecessor, there is a more interesting discussion to be had here—what Square Enix will do with its HD-2D line from here on out. If HD-2D is to become a staple of Square's portfolio, they'll need to chart an effective roadmap out for the next 4-5 years.

In light of Octopath Traveler 2's performance, I would contend that whatever comes next (after DQ3) either needs to be:

a) Another novel offering, similar to OT1 or Triangle Strategy​
or​
b) A remake of another beloved game that is guaranteed to be a hit​

Keep a few things in mind as we get into this discussion:
  • Judging by Asano's remarks about how ActRaiser was near the top of their HD-2D list, Final Fantasy appears to be off limits, so the chances of FF1-6 or FF Tactics seeing HD-2D remakes are fairly low.
  • Square recently put out a survey in Japan asking fans what games they would like to see receive the HD-2D treatment next, and specified that they didn't need to limit their answers to Square Enix games. That means other companies' games could be up for grabs.

I have a thought or two of my own about what the best course of action for the future of HD-2D is, but before I get into my own thoughts, I'd like other folks to contribute theirs, and what they feel the next 4-5 years of HD-2D games need to look like.

What does the game that comes after DQ3 need to be? What about the game after that? And is there a way to keep HD-2D viable for several years, or will the novelty of it wear off permanently after a point?

My only request is, let's try to approach this from a realistic (creative and financial) standpoint and keep the discussion as platform-agnostic as possible.

Last edited:
Could Triangle Strategy, Live A Live, and Octopath Traveller II be eating into each other's sales a bit? They all released within 12 months of each other.

@Ishaan maybe you posted on the wrong forum section; do you want me to move it back ?

As for the topic, it is clear that there's now an HD-2D line within Square Enix.

We got one of them in 2018, then it ramped up with 3 titles in a year (Mar 22 - Feb 23).

I believe the spacing was not great, but I remain confident about the potential of this artstyle.

The three first games have all been successes, the artstyle improved and allows to have pleasing visuals at a controlled budget. It is not a surprise that all the games mentionned scored well critically, since more time could be devoted to the games themselves.

Now I believe, that there is potential for:

- New games like Octopath/TS
- Remakes like LaL or DQ3R.

Having 1 new game and 1 remake every 2 years would be good imho, it would allow them to have a constant schedule, with one HD-2D game per year.

As for the next steps, I believe they should aim for FF/CT as new remakes. Their next new games should be a new spin, rather than a TS sequel, they could explore new concepts in order to have differenciated products. The artstyle is flexible (as shown in LaL), they have many possibilities.

I think Asano has proven to be a steady hand at this whole thing. They need to make sure they have an internal studio staffed up to do third party stuff, ala Omega Force, CyberConnect2 and Arc System Works. Give popular I.P.s a fouth choice beyond musou, fighter and arena brawler.

Even if it's just Square Enix I.P.s that's still Fullmetal Alchemist, Soul Eater, Black Butler, etc.

They can also do Chrono Trigger.

@Ishaan maybe you posted on the wrong forum section; do you want me to move it back ?

I didn't think it deserved to be in the main section of the forum, but if you feel it is, go ahead and move it, yeah.

I think team Asano should try for a new 3D IP next and have Octopath Traveller, Bravely Default, Triangle Strategy, new 3D IP and release interchanging between H2D2, 3D. No 2DHD remakes of old games unless is something that is guaranteed to sell like DQ

I feel Team Asano probably needs to pivot away from solely HD-2D games. More competitors in the field will leave the art style less unique. A shift to 1 every year or every 1.5 years would probably work out better. If they mix in games with simplistic 3D models like Bravely Default, it should help keep them robust. I think there is still space for HD-2D remakes though they should realize that most would only have a cap of around 1 million aside from maybe some of the Dragon Quest and some of the early Final Fantasy and Chrono Trigger.

Team Asano will probably go with a Bravely Forth -II for Switch, before presenting another HD-2D game, this time completely original imho

HD-2D will see a sales spike with DQIII (in Japan, probably flat over OTI in terms of ww-numbers)

So after BDIIIIIIII there will be both a brand new HD2D game and the remake of a famous old game (maybe not by FF brand, as OP pointed out)

Launching three of these in under a year was definitely a mistake, but the fact that they're doing pretty well in face of that just cements tje hold that this style has achieved. As long as they keep it to once a year I think we'll be seeing 2DHD titles for a looong time.

I imagine all the games have been profitable, I don't think Team Asano needs to change anything other then maybe not releasing 3 games in a 12 month period of time. Need to learn the Nintendo strategy of holding onto games until there is a gap in the schedule.

2D-HD was the initial hook but the novelty has worn off and feels over-saturated now even.

I think they need to re-evaluate and focus on one product and grow it rather than throwing the novelty in every direction, which fades the only real hook the games have had. Coming up with other "hooks" would also help but that is easier said than done.

2D-HD was the initial hook but the novelty has worn off and feels over-saturated now even.

I think they need to re-evaluate and focus on one product and grow it rather than throwing the novelty in every direction, which fades the only real hook the games have had. Coming up with other "hooks" would also help but that is easier said than done.
I agree with this.

Now is the time to let go of 2D-HD as THE hook of the games and look into other new hooks. Basically: "What can we do OTHER THAN VISUALS to garner interest from gamers?" Ultimately, these games are 2D-JRPGs, a genre that hasn't done much new in a long time. When I speak of "new hooks", I mean stuff like: unexpected action-gameplay (like jumping, climbing, physics, etc.), a complex nonlinear story that changes meaningfully based on player decisions, a truly fresh story/setting, etc..

Personally, I really dislike the pixelated look. 2D-HD doesn't mean that this pixelated look is necessary, I'd love to see 2D-HD jrpgs with the visual quality of the recent Rayman-games, detailed, smooth 2D-graphics.

If the particular look is supposed to stay the main hook, then I guess branching out to other franchises is the way to good, ask other publishers to let them work on their old games.

Octopath was at 3 million last year.

I have longer thoughts about Octopath 2 dealing with some of what was said in the Op.

But to keep it brief and in the spirit of the thread I’d argue what they next need to make sure whatever game they do next has a sterling marketing budget. We know making a good game isn’t enough, or NeoTWEWY wouldn’t have spectacularly bombed. It’s not enough to have a new hook or pick a really good game to remake. With proper marketing they can also stay the course on what they currently have while taking risks on the side. Without marketing, this kind of result (if it’s as bad as it appears) will occur again.

Do Chrono Trigger, the Super Mario RPG and Mario and Luigi games that someone mentioned before, and maybe, get rid of that dark frame all those games have on the borders to make them more colorful, I'm not sure if that one could work.

Another one: It doesn't have to be HD-2D, they might jump to HD-3D somehow

IMO the look they achieved with the HD-2D games is so striking and unique that it ends up feeling very repetitive after being redone a few times with little to no differentiation. IMO they need to work on making each game having a distinct visual identity inside the HD-2D umbrela... as almost all of the games they released so far (+ what we've seen from DQ3) kinda blend together in a way that's not that enticing for someone that already played one of the games. It makes sense for Octopath 2 to carry almost the same look, and they were pretty ambitious in what they did with the cutscene direction... but the rest could really use a more distinct visual identity.

Triangle is kinda the exception, as it looks like an HD-2D game while inevitably looking very distinct due to being a grid-based strategy game.

Last edited:
The goal here is to make a major splash with the next couple of HD-2D projects—a splash that not only conveys the possibilities of the style to fans and other publishers, but also brings in enough revenue to let Asano Team take risks outside of the HD-2D realm over the next 4-5 years.

The guaranteed hit:

If it were me, I would have begun talking to Nintendo and The Pokémon Company over a year ago, about potentially helping with the next pair of Pokémon remakes. With BD/SP done, the next generation due for remakes is Gen 5...and Pokémon Black/White are the pinnacle of sprite-based Pokémon games.

gYYbLAM.png
P3iOtD3.png

Xj8Nqi7.png
0auZIdR.png

Acquire (OT1 and OT2) would be best suited to working on these remakes. Of all the HD-2D contract studios, they're the ones with the most experience, and would be well equipped to reimagine Black/White as HD-2D games. The online/multiplayer portion of the game could be handled internally by Game Freak, or outsourced to a different company. Either scenario would leave Game Freak's art and design departments free to concentrate on the next generation of Pokémon games, while leaving Black/White in the hands of capable developers that could reimagine it with a striking new visual style. It's a win-win-win situation for everyone involved.

An original game:

cAyiJNe.jpg
M8111qt.jpg

In parallel, I would get in touch with Atlus, which has been having trouble figuring out its own development pipeline.

ArtDink, who developed Triangle Strategy and also assisted with the development of Shin Megami Tensei V, would be uniquely suited to collaborating with Asano Team/Atlus on a new multiplatform strategy RPG that takes after Devil Survivor. Atlus has historically been known for great sprite art in its own games on DS/PSP/3DS, and that style would translate well into HD-2D.

This would again represent something new for the HD-2D style—large character portraits, an urban setting with Atlus's unique worldview, and HD demon sprites based on existing concept art that was done for Shin Megami Tensei 4/4A. This would be an incredibly novel and effective collaboration that would be guaranteed to do reasonably well across the Nintendo, PlayStation, and PC ecosystems. Again, it's a win-win.

More importantly, if it's done right it would also be better suited to sequels than both Octopath and Triangle Strategy. Atlus games are known for leaning into heavy characterization and character relationships, and that's a hook that never gets old.

Potential future projects:
  • Depending on how DQ3 does in Japan, you could also consider giving Dragon Quest 5 the same treatment.
  • Once you've done Black/White, you could re-use the world and assets for Pokémon Black 2/White 2.
  • The sequel to NieR was originally going to be a farming sim. An HD-2D collab with Yoko Taro along those lines would be incredible.

All in all, I think that gives us a very clear, creatively-fulfilling, and safe path for the next several years of HD-2D games. Thank you for reading my Square Enix fan-fiction, which this thread was an excuse for all along.

The goal here is to make a major splash with the next couple of HD-2D projects—a splash that not only conveys the possibilities of the style to fans and other publishers, but also brings in enough revenue to let Asano Team take risks outside of the HD-2D realm over the next 4-5 years.

The guaranteed hit:

If it were me, I would have begun talking to Nintendo and The Pokémon Company over a year ago, about potentially helping with the next pair of Pokémon remakes. With BD/SP done, the next generation due for remakes is Gen 5...and Pokémon Black/White are the pinnacle of sprite-based Pokémon games.

gYYbLAM.png
P3iOtD3.png

Xj8Nqi7.png
0auZIdR.png

Acquire (OT1 and OT2) would be best suited to working on these remakes. Of all the HD-2D contract studios, they're the ones with the most experience, and would be well equipped to reimagine Black/White as HD-2D games. The online/multiplayer portion of the game could be handled internally by Game Freak, or outsourced to a different company. Either scenario would leave Game Freak's art and design departments free to concentrate on the next generation of Pokémon games, while leaving Black/White in the hands of capable developers that could reimagine it with a striking new visual style. It's a win-win-win situation for everyone involved.

An original game:

cAyiJNe.jpg
M8111qt.jpg

In parallel, I would get in touch with Atlus, which has been having trouble figuring out its own development pipeline.

ArtDink, who developed Triangle Strategy and also assisted with the development of Shin Megami Tensei V, would be uniquely suited to collaborating with Asano Team/Atlus on a new multiplatform strategy RPG that takes after Devil Survivor. Atlus has historically been known for great sprite art in its own games on DS/PSP/3DS, and that style would translate well into HD-2D.

This would again represent something new for the HD-2D style—large character portraits, an urban setting with Atlus's unique worldview, and HD demon sprites based on existing concept art that was done for Shin Megami Tensei 4/4A. This would be an incredibly novel and effective collaboration that would be guaranteed to do reasonably well across the Nintendo, PlayStation, and PC ecosystems. Again, it's a win-win.

More importantly, if it's done right it would also be better suited to sequels than both Octopath and Triangle Strategy. Atlus games are known for leaning into heavy characterization and character relationships, and that's a hook that never gets old.

• Depending on how DQ3 does in Japan, you could also consider giving Dragon Quest 5 the same treatment.
  • Once you've done Black/White, you could re-use the world and assets for Pokémon Black 2/White 2.
  • The sequel to NieR was originally going to be a farming sim. An HD-2D collab with Yoko Taro along those lines would be incredible.

All in all, I think that gives us a very clear, creatively-fulfilling, and safe path for the next several years of HD-2D games. Thank you for reading my Square Enix fan-fiction, which this thread was an excuse for all along.
To add more to your fan fiction, Hori revealed that they would like to remake I+II after DQ3.

These remakes would be more reimagined to fill the gaps and provide a clear continuity coming from 3.

Next remake is obvious: Super Mario RPG

Next original title, I'd like to see Asano do an action RPG. Maybe with Ancient.

If SMRPG ever did get a remake, it would be fully 3D (ALA Link’s Awakening Switch); not HD-2D.

Now, Mario & Luigi? That series was already heading in the direction of HD-2D on 3DS anyway, and it’s absence is sorely felt on Switch… Would be killer to see Nintendo revive the series with the help of Team Asano and the remains of Alphadream!

@Ishaan A Pokémon B/W remake in HD-2D would also be killer! :D

Last edited:
To add more to your fan fiction, Hori revealed that they would like to remake I+II after DQ3.

These remakes would be more reimagined to fill the gaps and provide a clear continuity coming from 3.
I half wonder if DQIII didn't evolve into a full Loto trilogy collection? Horii tends to get what he wants...

If SMRPG ever did get a remake, it would be fully 3D (ALA Link’s Awakening Switch); not HD-2D.

Now, Mario & Luigi? That series was already heading in the direction of HD-2D on 3DS anyway, and it’s absence is sorely felt on Switch… Would be killer to see Nintendo revive the series with the help of Team Asano and the remains of Alphadream!
I think the point in doing SMRPG is the direct connection to Square. I'm also not sure Nintendo wants to do another M&L remake quite yet.

In retrospect, im kinda baffled SE never branded any of its HD-2D fantasy RPGs as an FF game. Like maybe Octopath wouldve been better if it had been "Final Fantasy: Side Stories" or something. Or turning Triangle Strategy but as an FF Tactics offshoot. Or something.

Octopath Traveler too is a late year 6 RPG and it is the first 2D-HD SE game where they handled the publishing worldwide. I don't think there is any serious issues with the art style or the games. I just think SE is a poor marketing company releasing a product on a platform that is very clearly in decline. Let it breathe for a couple years, be there early on the Switch 2 and stop thinking that the key to sales explosion is multiplat unless you are Sony.

I don't think they meed a huge course correction.

Seems like Triangle Strategy is getting new content?

Wow, this stream seems to have gone completely under the radar. That's cool though. They should really just add a chapter select option to NG+. I could not motivate myself to do four whole playthroughs, but if I could just cut straight to the diverging points, I probably would've done them all.

I wonder if the stream also had updated sales numbers.

I think the point in doing SMRPG is the direct connection to Square. I'm also not sure Nintendo wants to do another M&L remake quite yet.

I didn’t say a remake…

We need Mario & Luigi 6. It’s been almost 10 years since the last game (Paper Jam). Gather up the staff from Alpha Dream and get them working with Team Asano on a brand new M&L game!

The guaranteed hit:

gYYbLAM.png
P3iOtD3.png

Xj8Nqi7.png
0auZIdR.png

An original game:

cAyiJNe.jpg
M8111qt.jpg

HD-2D Black and White sounds like a pipe dream.

And I absolutely fucking want it.

Seriously, it’s like you said: Pokemon gets remade in a striking new visual style that showcases part of the appeal of Gen 5, while Game Freak is freed up with the manpower to work on making Generation 10 for its inevitable 2025 release on the Switch successor.

The remakes could even be cross-generation and have enhancements for the successor, it’d be downright perfect, even! Plus with the power of Pokémon, you’d basically have a hit to surpass even the DQ3 HD-2D remakes.

It would require a lot of work and negotiation that would’ve ideally been done months if not over a year ago, but damn, I really hope this happens.

I did see that, yeah. Thing is, it would probably be hard to go back to 1 and 2 after 3. That's just asking for diminishing returns. I suppose they could do 1+2 as a single release, but IMO you're better off moving forward instead of backwards.

I wonder if Final Fantasy Tactics will get the HD-2D treatment. A remaster seems like the obvious next step after Tactics Ogre.

The issue with FF is that it appears to be off limits for whatever reason. That said, I also don't think Tactics specifically would benefit from an HD-2D remake. An enhanced port like with Tactics Ogre should more than suffice.

I wonder if Final Fantasy Tactics will get the HD-2D treatment. A remaster seems like the obvious next step after Tactics Ogre.

The issue with FF is that it appears to be off limits for whatever reason. That said, I also don't think Tactics specifically would benefit from an HD-2D remake. An enhanced port like with Tactics Ogre should more than suffice.
We have the NVIDIA leak + Schreier confirming it, but I seriously doubt they are remaking it in HD 2D. The best we can hope is some scenes remade like they did for Final Fantasy VI

b) A remake of another beloved game that is guaranteed to be a hit​

Keep a few things in mind as we get into this discussion:
  • Judging by Asano's remarks about how ActRaiser was near the top of their HD-2D list, Final Fantasy appears to be off limits, so the chances of FF1-6 or FF Tactics seeing HD-2D remakes are fairly low.
  • Square recently put out a survey in Japan asking fans what games they would like to see receive the HD-2D treatment next, and specified that they didn't need to limit their answers to Square Enix games. That means other companies' games could be up for grabs.
Clearly it's imperative that the next remake in HD-2D style, after Dragon Quest III, must be Terranigma/Tenchi Souzou/天地創造.
Being a pure action RPG will help set it apart from the other HD-2D offerings.
Despite the great quantity of RPG published by Square and Enix on SNES only a small portion were action RPG (the most notable of which were those developed by Quintet).
Even Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3's battle systems weren't a pure action RPG and more a blend of the ATB with free movements.

Last edited:
It can, doesn't mean it will. It's definitely not a guarantee for mobile to lead to increase sales of a traditional game even if the mobile game has a modicum of success.

While true, it is very rare for the mobile game to take away sells from the console game. Like I don't see how OT mobile made OT2 sell less. It isn't like less people buy FE because there is a mobile version. Or all the mobile Pokemon games with Go helping Sun /Moon before GameFreak chainsaw its legs off

Clearly it's imperative that the next remake in HD-2D style, after Dragon Quest III, must be Terranigma/Tenchi Souzou/天地創造.
Being a pure action RPG will help set it apart from the other HD-2D offerings.
Despite the great quantity of RPG published by Square and Enix on SNES only a small portion were action RPG (the most notable of which were those developed by Quintet).
Even Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3's battle systems weren't a pure action RPG and more a blend of the ATB with free movements.

I would definitely be more attracted to a good, modernized (read: Perfect Dodge/Parry Mechanic) Action RPG than another turn-based RPG. Or even just an action game. Something more like 2D Zelda than Mana. It's an underserved niche these days.

The HD-2D style is cool, but Squeenix should really push it beyond just turn-based JRPGs. Triangle Strategy was a good start.

Hell, bring back Rad Racer! Or make a new Einhander!

I'd guess the slowdown is mostly just too much too fast in terms of releases that happened in a 12 months span, which coincided with Xenoblade 3 dropping in the middle, so that was a hefty dose of competing RPG content recently. And certainly the Switch platform itself has slowed down a bit as well.

Probably with Switch 2 becoming the baseline platform in the next couple years, they'll have a chance to mix it up, and up the wow factor stylistically.

Personally I'd want to see Chrono brought back in this form remake or otherwise. Rudras would also be a great target for a remake. A "demake" or spinoff of one of their 3D series would be a novel idea, but I'm not sure it will happen. Nier sticks out as a series that would be ripe for it.

From an original game perspective, they probably need to consider making a more typical RPG party experience. Just from the reception of OT1, it seems like a lot of people are put off by the whole separate story elemwnt, which is probably compounded by them hitting with LaL and OT2 pretty close to each other.

The biggest issue is that they probs greenlit a bunch of HD2D stuff within a year of Octopath 1 released because it did so well, and now we are in a situation where all of those released within a year, except DQ3 of what we know so far.
Ideally if they could feel that Octopath was gonna be popular before it released, maybe around when the first demo released I think we would have been in a position where another game could have been in the making and had a head start. Instead we ended up in a situation where it took like 3.5 years for a 2nd HD2D game to release.

The biggest issue is that they probs greenlit a bunch of HD2D stuff within a year of Octopath 1 released because it did so well, and now we are in a situation where all of those released within a year, except DQ3 of what we know so far.
Ideally if they could feel that Octopath was gonna be popular before it released, maybe around when the first demo released I think we would have been in a position where another game could have been in the making and had a head start. Instead we ended up in a situation where it took like 3.5 years for a 2nd HD2D game to release.
Between some uncertainty of the magnitude of the success of HD-2D combined with the pandemic slowing everything down, I'm not entirely surprised. I'd bet Triangle Strategy was due sooner with Live A Live as a stopgap to OTII since it was a relatively straightforward remake.

Back
Top Bottom