• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Call of Duty will start coming to Nintendo platforms [Update: ABK Acquisition Approved]

Ishaan

Expert
Localization, Historian, Reporter
Please check the threadmarks for the latest updates.

Further details from a report from the Washington Post:
  • CoD coming to Switch is incumbent on the Activision/Microsoft merger going through.
  • Development on CoD for Switch can only begin after the merger closes (the earliest being June 2023).
  • The first game may or may not be a simultaneous release. Subsequent releases will be simultaneous with other platforms.

When asked if the Switch had enough technical specifications to run Call of Duty smoothly, Spencer said, "Minecraft and Call of Duty are different games. But from how you get games onto Nintendo, how you run a development team that is targeting multiple platforms, that’s experience we have.”

Spencer said the agreement between Nintendo and Microsoft specifies ten years, because that length of time will be comforting to gamers, and it’s likely the companies will continue working together.

This is going to be a major boon to Nintendo in terms of boosting Nintendo Switch Online subscribers, which is something they're very keen on.

Last edited:
I wonder if they already started work or Phil is just trying to please the groups. The latter is happening regardless, but if the former is true, then it wouldn't be until the next system or a cloud version

Mobile and/or Warzone for OG Switch while Drake might get Warzone 2 as well as CoD 2024 native is probably the best case scenario.

Either way very interesting development and even more reasons for Nintendo to make sure that the gap between Drake and Series S isn't too massive.

I remember people were joking about how Microsoft would help bring COD to the Switch because Activision couldn’t be bothered. Now it’s real 💀.

I have to imagine Phil was given the outline for what Nintendo is planning for the next console. This is something that benefits both parties and having details on things like specs and release windows, likely made the negotiations smoother.

"Once we get into the rhythm of this, our plan would be that when [a Call of Duty game] launches on PlayStation, Xbox, and PC, that it would also be available on Nintendo at the same time."

Spencer pointed to Microsoft-owned titles like "Minecraft" making their way to the Switch as examples of how the company has experience bringing games to different platforms.

"We would do this with Minecraft as well, where we would do specific work to make the game run well on Nintendo Switch and their silicon and support their platform completely," Spencer said. "We do the same when we ship on PlayStation 5."

When asked if the Switch had enough technical specifications to run Call of Duty smoothly, Spencer said, "Minecraft and Call of Duty are different games. But from how you get games onto Nintendo, how you run a development team that is targeting multiple platforms, that's experience we have."

Think there is one more player that they should sign up and it's one that they as a whole should have a decent relationship with.

Get Nvidia on board and I think you probably have a decent trifecta of deals to assuage concerns.

Think there is one more player that they should sign up and it's one that they as a whole should have a decent relationship with.

Get Nvidia on board and I think you probably have a decent trifecta of deals to assuage concerns.
Are MS games on GeForce now? If they are, then yeah Nvidia should be a lock.

@Ishaan I think this answered your question to how Nintendo could expand subscriptions.

Yeah, CoD is definitely going to play a major role in growing NSO subscriptions, but it can't be the sole thing they bank upon. If they can get a mix of games like CoD, Diablo 4, Final Fantasy 14, and whatever the next Monster Hunter is, though, that would help push the needle in both a bigger and more sustainable way.

Yeah, CoD is definitely going to play a major role in growing NSO subscriptions, but it can't be the sole thing they bank upon. If they can get a mix of games like CoD, Diablo 4, Final Fantasy 14, and whatever the next Monster Hunter is, though, that would help push the needle in both a bigger and more sustainable way.
Why would FF14 help when it's got its own subscription service, unless you mean offering exclusive items on NSO.

I'm not counting on FFXIV on Nintendo until the Drake if it ever does arrive. I doubt that they'll invest in developing a port for a platform that's likely on the way out within the next twoish years.

Really nice, I don't know why Activision ignored Switch.
Why put resources towards another platform when the lead platform and marketing rights have already been moneyhatted ?

They would be putting money towards a platform where Nintendo couldn't market the game as freely as they wanted as well as getting DLC and features later than the PS counterparts.

The Sony moneyhat for CoD kinda made sure that ABK had no reason to mess up the formula and their winning system.

Though tbh MS acquisition or not I think ABK would have tried to bring CoD to Drake after the success of the Switch. Not the mainline versions that Sony moneyhatted but Warzone or the latest mobile version.

PS. Outside of CoD ABK support was actually quite nice with pretty much every relevant Blizzard IP making the jump to Switch.

Why would FF14 help when it's got its own subscription service, unless you mean offering exclusive items on NSO.

More from the POV that FF14 would attract a lot of folks that are into online multiplayer games to Switch. It doesn't feed into NSO subs directly, but it would help encourage more online activity across the platform in general, and perhaps even make it easier for friends that enjoy playing FF14 together make a platform shift over time and check out other online games on Nintendo devices.

Anecdotally (yes, yes, I know), a couple of the friends I play MH Rise with are also into FF14. And whenever there's a new expansion out, that's goodbye to our MH sessions for a few weeks. Conversely, they also ask me to play FF14 with them, and I'm resistant to that idea for a number of reasons. (Primarily because I just don't have the time for an MMO and don't want to play FF14 on my PC) But if we could do both MHR and FF14 on the same platforms, the chances of us being able to stick together as a group across multiple games goes up.

Last edited:
Nice back door move by Microsoft. If they know the next Nintendo device is coming and have a idea on its specs. They weighed the options of letting it be on a Nintendo device. Being a extra source of software revenue without shifting gamers away from Xbox Console. Similar to Minecraft and how it’s basically a first party for Nintendo in Japan. Yet it’s still a Microsoft game and one of the best selling 3rd party game over there. It also put more pressure on Sony and PlayStation in Japan. Which could make them sign kind of deal that wouldn’t benefit them as much as the current situation. Interesting times we live!

Nice back door move by Microsoft. If they know the next Nintendo device is coming and have a idea on its specs. They weighed the options of letting it be on a Nintendo device. Being a extra source of software revenue without shifting gamers away from Xbox Console. Similar to Minecraft and how it’s basically a first party for Nintendo in Japan. Yet it’s still a Microsoft game and one of the best selling 3rd party game over there. It also put more pressure on Sony and PlayStation in Japan. Which could make them sign kind of deal that wouldn’t benefit them as much as the current situation. Interesting times we live!
Not sure why you think "It also put more pressure on Sony and PlayStation in Japan" - COD (at least on consoles, don't know about Warzone) is not such a hot property in Japan

Not sure why you think "It also put more pressure on Sony and PlayStation in Japan" - COD (at least on consoles, don't know about Warzone) is not such a hot property in Japan

I don't think it will hurt Sony or PS in Japan or anything. But it being on Switch or Switch 2. Will be good way to revitalize CoD Sales at least in Japan and East Asia there. Having CoD on the most popular platform is a good way to get more sales for sure.

Bloomberg interview with Phil Spencer:

Microsoft executives are set to meet with US Federal Trade Commission Chair Lina Khan and other commissioners Wednesday to make its final case in support of the deal.

“Our intent is to become more relevant on more screens,” Spencer said. “We have a pretty good idea of how to build a win-win relationship with Nintendo and frankly Sony.” Nintendo shares in Tokyo erased losses on the day and were up as much as 1.5% after the announcement. Sony widened losses to 1.3%.

“There’s been one game industry participant that’s really been raising all the objections, and that’s Sony, and they’ve been fairly public about the things that don’t meet their expectations,” Spencer said. “From where we sit, it’s clear they’re spending more time with the regulators than they are with us to try and get this deal done.”

Pretty straight forward words there.
Backed up by actual deals/contracts with the other competitor

Now we just need Sony to buy-out Square-Enix to finally see mainline Final Fantasy coming to Switch

/jk

CoD games were on Wii, and relatively successfull. That they are not on Switch has probably something to do with Sony?
While I don't think they are particularly barred from releasing on Switch with their current Sony deal, it probably was deemed unprofitable to make a game they couldn't advertise.

While I don't think they are particularly barred from releasing on Switch with their current Sony deal, it probably was deemed unprofitable to make a game they couldn't advertise.

Ehh, they never used to advertise the Wii versions anyway. I remember the first screenshot of Modern Warfare Reflex came from someone taking a photo of the back of the box.

It used to be notably big, I remember it leading the western game growth narrative early in PS4's lifecycle when it was routinely selling several hundred k. There's also the fact Sony basically turned it into a 1st party PS franchise in Japan (alongside Destiny well before the Bungie buyout).

Ehh, they never used to advertise the Wii versions anyway. I remember the first screenshot of Modern Warfare Reflex came from someone taking a photo of the back of the box.

I imagine advertising efforts varied greatly from place to place. Here in Japan prior to Sony taking over the marketing, SE was in charge of it (so around the time of the Wii U releases). That said I can't recall seeing an BOPS2 or Ghosts CM for Wii U.

MS can benefit from this because their main goal is GP anyway. They would never have gotten COD for a day one GP release if it weren't for the deal. Now they can expand the IP and keeping the advantage of having a sub service and offering these type of games for "free" for their subs. Of course having it exclusive would have been better but that would have made a potential lawsuit very difficult for them.

I imagine advertising efforts varied greatly from place to place. Here in Japan prior to Sony taking over the marketing, SE was in charge of it (so around the time of the Wii U releases). That said I can't recall seeing an BOPS2 or Ghosts CM for Wii U.

I think I've played a CoD on Nintendo DS during a cruise
lol

I wonder if they already started work or Phil is just trying to please the groups. The latter is happening regardless, but if the former is true, then it wouldn't be until the next system or a cloud version

Please the groups. It is just damn PR.

Post automatically merged:

Really nice, I don't know why Activision ignored Switch.

As tweet above says

If I recall correctly, one of the COD games on Wii, outsold the PS3 version(if I'm wrong, im sure someone here will correct me)so there is a user base available on Nintendo consoles. I have never been able to make sense of companies with these big IP not making absolutely sure, that some form of it, ends up on the platform that could end up being the best selling platform, of all time.

This also goes for GTA. Not having a version on the switch, even if it is an older game, to help build an audience, or even to test, seems negligent. Game sales on the switch, from every genre, cannot be ignored.

"Not wanting to commit the resources" to make any version of these huge IP on the switch is not an answer here.

I'm assuming this won't be for the Switch but for whatever Nintendo's next system is. They'll likely be a cloud version or older title for the Switch.

---

This is nicely timed the week of the $70 first party price raise, gotta get those to as many avenues as possible.

As tweet above says

Infinity Ward in 2008 said that there was no way Modern Warfare would run on the Wii, two years later Treyarch released Modern Warfare Reflex.

I'm assuming this won't be for the Switch but for whatever Nintendo's next system is. They'll likely be a cloud version or older title for the Switch.

---

This is nicely timed the week of the $70 first party price raise, gotta get those to as many avenues as possible.

But this, the timeframe is 2024 onwards so it's not about Switch anyway.

As tweet above says

No need to be aggressive. It's obviously not just (damn) PR, unless you define signing a contract with Nintendo and stating outright their intent to bring future releases day and date to Nintendo platforms as just PR.

There are also 25 millions of active players for CoD Mobile. that would still be an interesting get in terms of possible engagement and revenue stream, for the 106mil active user base of the Switch

As tweet above says

Is impossible as any other game. Won't be possible until a big group of suits tell you that now it has to be possible. And then the magic happens.

Is impossible as any other game. Won't be possible until a big group of suits tell you that now it has to be possible. And then the magic happens.
As Oregano wrote, this is what happened with COD on Wii - Infinity Ward (who some considered wizards) insisted on multiple occasions it was impossible, then when it was Treyarch's turn to make COD, Treyarch came out with a Wii version.

The next CoD is releasing Q4 '24, Switch 2 will be out by then. I can easily seeing it being Switch 2 exclusive with the IP moving away from yearly releases.

I still expect something (mobile?) on Switch next year (Xmas 23)

it's not just PR if they made a formal commitment for it lol, now it depends on the deal been approved plus it's obviously something for their next console at least when it comes to Warzone and native versions of latest releases

It’s clear they want to make PlayStation just another box. If they acquire all the Japanese games PS5 gets plus have exclusive western content. I would only assume it makes their device a little more appealing. The same goes for Nintendo every time they get a former PlayStation exclusive.

Back
Top Bottom