• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

Community Discussion and Moderation Feedback

DarkDetective

Staff
真実はいつもひとつ! There's only one truth
Install Base Community Discussion and Moderation Feedback Thread

Mission Statement
Install Base is a place created to discuss and elaborate on the business side of the game industry. It is a community of industry figures, experienced and knowledgeable members but also a community where everyone can ask and learn something new. Our aim is to provide healthy and insightful discussions on the gaming industry, through numbers and charts. To this end, we also aim to build a comprehensive database, free to access, and based on years and years of archiving and public data.
Install Base is therefore created with the aim of being a welcoming and healthy place, where people can contribute and learn through the members’ insights and the vast amount of data at their disposal. This cannot be achieved without providing a safe place. Any kind of discrimation or stigmatization will not be tolerated.

Install Base is also, first and foremost, made possible through its community. Said community has been solicited a lot to create this place and will continue to be. Constant feedback, open dialogues and regular surveys are written in the Install Base DNA.

Moderation (from the General Guidelines)
In order to enforce these general and thread guidelines, Install Base will have a team of moderators coming from within the community. These moderators will be appointed for a mandate of 1 year which can be extended after a community’s confirmation vote.

Moderators focus on dialogue, warnings, thread-bans and read-only bans for minor infractions within a progression-based ban system. At the same time, moderation will deal severely with major infractions like stigmatization and discrimination. Banned members will have access to an appeal which will be judged by different people than the ones that made the initial ban. Moderators can be reported just like any other member.

Moderation ladder
For more transparency in the way actions will escalate, we built the following moderation ladder

Regular members
  1. First level: Warning
  2. Second level: 3 days-ban
  3. Third level: 1-month
  4. Fourth level: Permaban
Juinior members
  1. First level: Warning
  2. Second level: 1-week ban
  3. Third level: Permaban
Trailing period: 1 year

This ladder has been introduced on October 2nd, 2022 and will be used from there. Obviously, for members with more warnings than the limit under that rule, they won't be banned straigth away. However, that doesn't mean that everyone's records will be blank, at everyone's next infraction, the sanction will reflect the last 12 months.

Moderator List
For an up-to-date list of active moderators, I refer to the Staff List.

This Thread
The Community Discussion And Moderation Feedback thread is a place where members can discuss the status of the forum and the community, suggest changes, provide feedback to moderation decisions, and give their general thoughts on what Install Base is and what they would like it to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since this is the only thread about feedback, I would suggest to also make one for the site outside of moderation and community guidelines.
More technical and design focused topics, once you've settled some things and worked on the last touches.

Like: Highlighting under their usernam if someone is a mod/admin or when I wanna upload a profile banner that the pop up tells me what resolutions is preferred. Stuff like this

Just a few questions: is the dark theme implemented yet or is it an upcoming feature (I'm in no rush, I just can't find in the menus so I'm asking)?

And how do I put text under my avatar? For example Mazzle's "Animetrash" above me.
Yup I'm curious on how to put text under my Avatar as well.

Just a few questions: is the dark theme implemented yet or is it an upcoming feature (I'm in no rush, I just can't find in the menus so I'm asking)?

And how do I put text under my avatar? For example Mazzle's "Animetrash" above me.
+1 for Dark Theme. I assume it's not here yet, which is fine, but is one planned?

Don't worry Dark Theme will eventually come. Coco on Discord told me so since the place is still undergoing changes.

With the more consequential application of threadmarks the reader mode now is really really nice in MC threads, all the data without all the talks. But I feel like the reader mode misses the most important part that's currently not included: The OP itself. ;)

Dark mode is still in development. One can't be a LightDetective forever after all. Once it's available, you will it in the theme menu toggle-thingy in the footer of every page (bottom-left of the page basically).

Custom titles, a.k.a. the text under the avatar, are available for Members (who have left the junior phase) at Account details. After registration, everyone became Junior Member. We're currently promoting all eligible members to Member.

Last edited:
Awesome that Dark theme is coming. If I could request another theme, it would be a Dark Blue one. Like this (toggle theme on the top right). I think it would look really neat.

Since this is the only thread about feedback, I would suggest to also make one for the site outside of moderation and community guidelines.
More technical and design focused topics, once you've settled some things and worked on the last touches.

Like: Highlighting under their usernam if someone is a mod/admin or when I wanna upload a profile banner that the pop up tells me what resolutions is preferred. Stuff like this
I actually like that it doesn't say "mod" or "admin" anywhere. Imo that stuff creates unnecessary hierarchies in a discussion. Having a staff list solves the need for the information when you need to contact someone so it's not about roles being "a secret" but just that it doesn't affect the vibe of the discussion itself.

It's probably some sort of display bug, though since it says "member" under everyone's name which would presumably be replaced by "mod" or "admin".

I asked the following in the MC thread:
"
A weekly comparison of eshop charts (top 30) in various countries would be be nice to have in this forum. There is already a thread here for monthly PSN downloads, and I don't believe this data is available for MS. So, does anyone know the various URLs where such data could be found, outside of one's Switch, for each country?
"

Is there a better (more appropriate) place I could have asked this question in this forum?

Mergers and acquisitions. Companies buying companies, merging with each other, etc.
Thanks.
I suggest we would needing dedicated OT for each 4 platform holders to discuss first party/ network and m/a

Unless I misunderstand what you are suggesting, I don't see how some mergers/acquisitions would belong under the OT for a specific platform. Sony buying Bluepoint sure, but for example EA buying whomever does not belong under a specific platform OT (?) Or did you mean a dedicated OT for m/a separate from platform OTs?

Is a M&A OT really necessary? I guess it would be a speculation thread, since actual mergers and acquisitions can be discussed in the threads that will be made to cover the news.

avatar transparency (when in .png) is not working. also: no dark mode available, yet, right?
Dark mode is being worked on and is not available yet.
Transparent avatar are enabled now.

Would be really helpful - arrows to jump all the way up and all the way down a page (for mobile), placed similarly to famiboards (not like they are placed on era)

Would be really helpful - arrows to jump all the way up and all the way down a page (for mobile), placed similarly to famiboards (not like they are placed on era)

Yes, this would be a great addition. Also arrows to jump to the first and last post of a thread.

Still thinking about the mobile version, maybe also being able to see which member posted last in any given thread from outside the thread (right now I can only see how recent was the last post).

Looks like you can change the theme but once you select let's say dark theme the site's layout remains the same.

Yes, this would be a great addition. Also arrows to jump to the first and last post of a thread.

Still thinking about the mobile version, maybe also being able to see which member posted last in any given thread from outside the thread (right now I can only see how recent was the last post).
Arrows to jump up on a page should be enabled now.

Added to my list:
Jumping to first and last post.
On mobile: see last reply.

Looks like you can change the theme but once you select let's say dark theme the site's layout remains the same.

Dark mode is still WIP. I'm going to disable the option for now.

Arrows to jump up on a page should be enabled now.

Added to my list:
Jumping to first and last post.
On mobile: see last reply.

The always superimposed choice is really inspired. So convenient! Thank you.

I'd like to know why the sales community didn't make a forum for themselves earlier ? I always thought it was a good idea.

There have been multiple attempts over the years, but the scope was never a good fit in the long-run. Either the member base was too small (<15 people) which heavily limited discussion, or the forum was too skewed towards a general audience, which led to significant issues. Hopefully Install Base will act as a private social club among industry professionals going forward, which is perfect for retaining a high level of discourse.

I'd like to know why the sales community didn't make a forum for themselves earlier ? I always thought it was a good idea.
Sales discussion was and remains a niche section comparing to what interests the majority of posters in a video games forum. It took a lot of work until even the small dedicated community there is today is built. A similar project 5 years ago would be DOA since there wouldn't be interest from more than a few dozens people.

There have been multiple attempts over the years, but the scope was never a good fit in the long-run. Either the member base was too small (<15 people) which heavily limited discussion, or the forum was too skewed towards a general audience, which led to significant issues. Hopefully Install Base will act as a private social club among industry professionals going forward, which is perfect for retaining a high level of discourse.
It actually warms my heart that we're less than a week in and there's already >200 members. Means the odds of this community thriving are pretty good.

It would be nice to have an install base logo on top of the scrolling header on mobile for a quick return to the home page. At the moment, you have to press the sandwich menu then choose forums for that, which is a waste of one press. Especially when there's room for a logo right there.

e7iLmmL_d.webp

It would be nice to have an install base logo on top of the scrolling header on mobile for a quick return to the home page. At the moment, you have to press the sandwich menu then choose forums for that, which is a waste of one press. Especially when there's room for a logo right there.
I've noted this down.

Crossing fingers then. Let's hope it becomes what you're describing, that would be very interesting.

Sales discussion was and remains a niche section comparing to what interests the majority of posters in a video games forum. It took a lot of work until even the small dedicated community there is today is built. A similar project 5 years ago would be DOA since there wouldn't be interest from more than a few dozens people.

Let's work to make it less niche then. I'm sure a lot of people are interested, but don't know about how interesting it is.

I'll say, it's been quite some time since I've had a reason to click on so many of the threads on the main page of a forum

I really like the informative post on data sourcing. In line with that, I'm wondering if it would be useful to have a primer on logical reasoning and what constitutes a good faith argument.

maybe not everyone here is (or still is) an industry professional, but as long as the club only hands out membership to people who care about the subject and have good manners, this should actually work, and quality over quantity is always a good concept to start with, even if it means less merchandising sales.

Last edited:
So, are we going to get community OTs/discussions soon?
There are plans but we're install haven't fully launched the site yet as there are still a lot of things to sort out in the background.

I do have a couple of suggestions:

- Dark Mode (but it's already being worked on, so... yeah, ignore that)
- Twitter account for new threads would be neat, though I guess it really isn't a priority at all (no hurry there).

Congratz on the launch. Everything's great and works well. Love interactive charts support!

For the Conversations window, can you please add an option to edit your post (at least for several minutes or until someone responds) ?

Also a question - in that same Conversations window, I wanted to provide a person a link to a Google sheet, but instead of being able to see the link, the contents of the sheet were displayed within a frame, with the link nowhere to be seen. Is there a way around that?

For the Conversations window, can you please add an option to edit your post (at least for several minutes or until someone responds) ?
Should be able to edit now.

Also a question - in that same Conversations window, I wanted to provide a person a link to a Google sheet, but instead of being able to see the link, the contents of the sheet were displayed within a frame, with the link nowhere to be seen. Is there a way around that?
Use the "Insert Link" button instead of just pasting the url.

+1 for Dark Theme. I assume it's not here yet, which is fine, but is one planned?
fuck dark and light.
What happen to the cool themes? Why there's not a deep blue, a red blood, or something particular for one fucking time? :mad:

Hi, sorry to bother.

I check this forum in both my PC and in my phone. For the phone I added the "chrome app" to my home screen, the problem is that there's no refresh button at the top, Install Base seems to have the same core as Famiboards and in Famiboards there's that refresh button I'm talking about.

You think is something that can be added?

Hi, sorry to bother.

I check this forum in both my PC and in my phone. For the phone I added the "chrome app" to my home screen, the problem is that there's no refresh button at the top, Install Base seems to have the same core as Famiboards and in Famiboards there's that refresh button I'm talking about.

You think is something that can be added?
We'll look into it!

Back
Top Bottom