• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

PlayStation VR2 launches on February 22nd, 2023 | $549,99 / €599,99 / £529,99 / ¥74.980

Well said. These reactions to the price of the hardware are completely overblown.

What they've shown of the software side on the other hand...
The price in 2016 seemed good because it was riding on a wave of VR hype. It was much cheaper than the competition, you needed a high-end PC in 2016 to run VR and Sony were promising VR at a fraction of that price. In 2022, there have been many attempts at selling VR, including far cheaper all in one set ups. They still failed. Launching an attachment VR set in 2023 seems like bad business no matter how you look at it.

I don't think Sony is being arrogant, VR is an expensive technology. Sony knows they're launching a niche product and certainly don't have high expectations for it.

If it will sell worst or better than PSVR 1 depends of how much they will be able to cut the price over the years, because at $550 sales will drop sharply after launch.

I feel like VR has to be Jim Ryan’s pet project or something.
Tbf we are debating it vs Vita but it’s the same situation. Sony just runs in auto mode at times and because PSVR sold well at first they want to repeat it - ignoring the sales and user numbers in recent years.

In 2022, there have been many attempts at selling VR, including far cheaper all in one set ups. They still failed. Launching an attachment VR set in 2023 seems like bad business no matter how you look at it.

2022 or not, it still blows my mind manufacturers attempts attachements. It never works (well, maybe only the Famicom Disk System).
There are too much reasons for that. Price at first (remember the gamecube days when Miyamoto saif people don't want to pay for hardware, but that's a necessity to access software - it's still valid even if some consoles have much more functionalities by themselves now). Splitting userbase meaning you'll also get less software (the userbase number is mecanicaly split, the less software part is statistic and law of the market as less projects will be greenlit for the smaller userbase, so there is no way around that either).

And that's only the general problem. In this case, sony seemingly have hard time producing the ps5, they will probably play the same old artificial scarcity card have production problems too. And now you can get to the price and software line-up topics. What a road ahead, but let's see.

I would say FDS, PCE CD-ROM2 and Kinect were all relatively successful hardware add-ons for their base platforms. A few controller revisions (Genesis 6 button, PS1 Dual Shock, Wii Remote Plus, etc) too.

I wouldn't count PSVR among that. A 0.04:1 attach rate is trash, it desperately needed a killer app.

This one is so expensive that i don't see people outside the very rich there would buy it. Hell, not only PS5 is already priced outside the range of buyers here in SEA, adding PSVR2 price there would put the combo of PS5 and PSVR2 to be as expensive as Samsung Galaxy Ultra top line phone pricing. Crazy time.

This one is so expensive that i don't see people outside the very rich there would buy it. Hell, not only PS5 is already priced outside the range of buyers here in SEA, adding PSVR2 price there would put the combo of PS5 and PSVR2 to be as expensive as Samsung Galaxy Ultra top line phone pricing. Crazy time.
But even the very rich VR enthusiasts would need some reasons to want this thing. The tech of the headset is good, but the very small and unimpressive lineup of games (mostly quest ports), no foreseeable big system seller, no backwards compatibility. It feels like Sony send PSVR out to die.

But even the very rich VR enthusiasts would need some reasons to want this thing. The tech of the headset is good, but the very small and unimpressive lineup of games (mostly quest ports), no foreseeable big system seller, no backwards compatibility. It feels like Sony send PSVR out to die.

This also feels true. Unless there is big big exclusives. This will be very hard sell. Especially if i am not mistaken this one also have 0 BC with PSVR1 right? Thats very bad for those who invest on PSVR1.

Not only that, the "good tech" selling point is going to expire when the next generation of competitor headsets come out.

Small update, but for the past 3 days both SKUs of PSVR 2 have been open for preorders from PS Direct, for shipping during the first week and they’re still both available. This is great for consumers who want to buy one, and also speaks to PSVR 2 as a continuation of PSVR 1. This isn’t a PS5 where pre-orders sell out before you load the store page, but an accessory you can still comfortably buy many days after it goes up for open pre-orders. They should have no issue selling the initial 2 million they plan to, but there has yet to be an indication it’ll be a highly sought after item at its current price.

Small update, but for the past 3 days both SKUs of PSVR 2 have been open for preorders from PS Direct, for shipping during the first week and they’re still both available. This is great for consumers who want to buy one, and also speaks to PSVR 2 as a continuation of PSVR 1. This isn’t a PS5 where pre-orders sell out before you load the store page, but an accessory you can still comfortably buy many days after it goes up for open pre-orders. They should have no issue selling the initial 2 million they plan to, but there has yet to be an indication it’ll be a highly sought after item at its current price.

I dunno, 2 million seems like a pipe dream unless we're talking about over the course of a year. Just looking at the PSVR sales and it sold less than 1 million in its first 4 months and PSVR2 is significantly more expensive and you have to have a PS5 to use it, which is nowhere near where the PS4 was in units sold at the time of the PSVR release.

It's an extremely niche and expensive product. And the fact that they are readily available makes me think there is not a ton of demand.

Not surprised if sales aren’t explosive considering they haven’t instilled much buyer confidence in the product long term. With ps5 you know its going to be supported for 7-10 years, this thing cost more than the ps5 and they haven’t shown anything outside of the handful of launch titles.

People are right to be worried this might be another VITA situation. I’m still jumping in because VR will be a new experience for me. Worse comes to worse I’ll put it on ebay if software is looking dire by years end

Here in Canada is through retailers (no PS Direct afaik) and they are also both available in all of them: Amazon, BB, Walmart, Gamestop.

Not expecting very high sales due to the following reasons:

• PSVR 2 requires PS5 which is expensive and not easy to find, especially in some countries
  • PSVR 2 is extremely expensive
  • Launch line up is improved (especially with RE Village) but still not that great
  • VR in general is still niche

Also, the market is different this time.
Quest 2 exists as a cheaper and more flexible alternative for the mass market and the enthusiast with a PC. Quest 3 will eventually come with better specs. Its hard to justify an expensive headset that will be locked with the PS5.

I'm getting one because I'm an enthusiast. But it's going to be a tough pill to swallow (and justify to my wife).

Not surprised if sales aren’t explosive considering they haven’t instilled much buyer confidence in the product long term. With ps5 you know its going to be supported for 7-10 years, this thing cost more than the ps5 and they haven’t shown anything outside of the handful of launch titles.

People are right to be worried this might be another VITA situation. I’m still jumping in because VR will be a new experience for me. Worse comes to worse I’ll put it on ebay if software is looking dire by years end

Also, the lack of BC witb first PSVR means many of older PSVR owner may feel burned as they purchase before is rendered useless. Not a good look.

l_image03.png

FANTAVISION202X​

That classic PlayStation2 action puzzle game "Fantavision" is coming back on PlayStation5!​

Fantavision, initially released on PlayStation 2, will return in 2023 on PlayStation 5!
Very simple rules, and once you get the hang of it, the game is more addictive than you can imagine!
It's an artistic combination of action, shooting, strategy, and puzzles!

Beautiful graphics with Full HD and 4K output support​

First major graphic update in 20 years, with 4K screen for effective presentation of fireworks and night scenes.

Compatible with the new PlayStationVR2!​

Experience an immersive experience with a PSVR2 headset and PSVR2 Sense controller.

sales agencyCosmo Machia Inc.
Product NameFANTAVISION202X
formatPlayStation5(PlayStation VR2 compatible)
genreAction puzzle game
Release DateFebruary 22, 2023 (Wednesday) Scheduled
PriceDownloadable version Retail price TBD
Number of Playersone person
CEROReview Schedule
This work has been officially licensed by Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.

Source: Cosmo Machia Inc.
See that last part, I'll underline & repeat it for effect. Officially Licensed by Sony Entertainment Inc., developer Steam page in case its a timed exclusive. Otherwise its now Amplitude (PS3/PS4), The Tomorrow Children: Phoenix Edition (PS4) & now FANTAVISION202X (PS5/PSVR2) as SIE licensed games to 3rd parties that are currently PlayStation hardware only.

SIE, you've changed but you can still do right by your legacy, really hope this is a new company policy & we see more of the same in 2023, open the vaults to any & all developers with connections to SIE games developed in the past. Also the background space mecha reminds me that a Omega Boost game on PS5 with PSVR2 support needs to happen, with or without Polyphony Digital (Grounding / Grounding VR?). But that's a discussion for another time & another thread. For the purpose of this one, going to migrate & update my PSVR2 list to include the PSBlog entry of Japanese developed PSVR2 games. Although I could be mistaken, believe X8 is actually in development at Thirdverse, Inc., the US based studio of Third Verse Co Ltd. in San Francisco. But no matter as combined with the games made available for pre-order for PSVR2 on PlayStation Network to get an early sense of its launch & post-launch support.

PSVR2 PlayStation Studios:
Launch Release Date:
[PS5] Horizon: Call of the Mountain <ACT> (Firesprite/Guerilla Games) {2023.02.22}
Release Date TBC:
[PS5] Firewall Ultra <AC> (First Contact Entertainment) {XXXX.XX.XX}
PSVR2 PlayStation Studios VR Mode:
Launch Release Date:
[PS5] Gran Turismo 7 (Polyphony Digital) {2023.02.22}*
PSVR2 3rd Party Exclusive:
Launch Release Date:
[PS5] The Dark Pictures: Switchback VR <ACT> (Supermassive Games) {2023.02.22}
Release Date TBC:
[PS5] CROSSFIRE: Sierra Square <ACT> (Smilegate Entertainment) {2023.XX.XX}
PSVR2 3rd Party Exclusive VR Mode:
Launch Release Date:
[PS5] FANTAVISION202X <ETC> (Cosmo Machia Inc.) {2023.02.22}
[PS5] Resident Evil Village <ACT> (Capcom) {2023.02.22}*
Release Date TBC:
[PS5] R-Type Final 3 Evolved <ACT> (Granzella/NIS) {2023.03.XX}
[PS5] Resident Evil 4 # <ACT> (Capcom) {2023.XX.XX}*
PSVR2 Multi-Platform:
Launch Release Date:
[PS5] 2MD: VR Football Unleashed All-Star (Truant Digital) {2023.02.22}**
[PS5] After the Fall (Vertigo Games) {2023.02.22}***
[PS5] Altair Breaker <ACT> (Thirdverse, Co., Ltd.) {2023.02.22}
[PS5] Among Us VR (Innersloth/Robot Teddy/Schell Games)
[PS5] Cities: VR - Enhanced Edition <ADV> (Fast Travel Games) {2023.02.22}
[PS5] Cosmonious High <ADV> (Owlchemy Labs) {2023.02.22}
[PS5] DYSCHRONIA: Chronos Alternate <ADV> (MyDearest/IzanagiGames/PerpGames) {2023.02.22}***
[PS5] Engram (Maze Theory)
[PS5] Hello Neighbor: Search and Rescue <ADV> (Steel Wool Studios/tinyBuild GAMES) {2023.02.22}***
[PS5] Kayak VR: Mirage (Better Than Life) {2023.02.22}
[PS5] Moss <ADV> (Polyarc, Inc.) {2023.02.22}
[PS5] Moss: Book II <ADV> (Polyarc, Inc.) {2023.02.22}
[PS5] No Man's Sky (HelloGames) {2023.03.22}***
[PS5] Pistol Whip (Cloudhead Games) {2023.02.22}***
[PS5] Runner (Truant Digital) {2023.02.22}
[PS5] Startenders (Foggy Box Games/Yogscast Games) {2023.02.22}***
[PS5] Star Wars: Tales from the Galaxy's Edge - Enhanced Edition <ACT> (ILMxLAB/Disney Interactive Studios) {2023.02.22}
[PS5] Swordsman VR (Sinn Studio) {2023.02.22}
[PS5] Synthriders (Kluge Interactive) {2023.02.22}
[PS5] Tentacular <ADV> (Firepunchd/Devolver Digital) {2023.02.22}
[PS5] The Light Brigade <ACT> (Funktronic Labs) (2023.02.22}***
[PS5] The Tale of Onogoro <ACT> (Amata K.K.) {2023.02.22}
[PS5] Undead Citadel (Dark Curry) {2023.02.22}
[PS5] Zenith: The Last City <RPG> (Ramen VR/Tribe VR) {2023.02.22}***
Post-Launch Release Date:
[PS5] The Walking Dead: Saints & Sinners - Chapter 2: Retribution (Skydance Interactive LLC) {2023.03.21}
Release Date TBC:
[PS5] Beat Saber <ACT> (Beat Games/Oculus Studios) {2023.XX.XX}
[PS5] Behemoth <RPG> (Skydance Interactive LLC) {2023.XX.XX}
[PS5] Jurassic World Aftermath Collection <ACT> (Coatsink Software Ltd.) {2023.XX.XX}
[PS5] Song in the Smoke: Rekindled <ADV> (17-Bit) {2023.XX.XX}
[PS5] Wanderer <ADV> (Mighty Eyes) {2023.XX.XX}
[PS5] X8 <ACT> (Thirdverse, Inc./Thirdverse, Co., Ltd.) {XXXX.XX.XX}
PSVR2 Multi-Platform VR Mode:
Launch Release Date:
[PS5] Demeo <ACT> (RESOLUTION GAMES) {2023.02.22}
[PS5] Kizuna AI: Touch the Beat! <ADV> (Gemdrops) {2023.02.22}
*free update
**70% discount for owners of PSVR edition
***free update for owners of PSVR edition

Useful Links:
Here’s Every Game Announced for PSVR 2 (last update 20/12/22)
Every Game Getting a Free PSVR 2 Upgrade (so far) (last update 02/01/23)

We'll see if SIE let us know exactly what the headset will have to offer at launch, what's exclusive & when any VR modes will be available. State of Play dedicated to PSVR2 to summarise existing announcements, a detailed FAQ including how they will address the lack of backward compatibility & how many PSVR titles or experiences will be patched or ported over. Humanity (tha ltd./Enhance Games) is confirmed to still be in development on the latest 8-4 Play, could see that reappearing on PSVR2 but not sure about what other VR developers in Japan have planned aside the ones above. Worth pointing out some VR multi-platform games have staggered launches & non-VR ports (see DYSCHRONICA & Kizuna AI release details). The former had early funding support for Oculus & Switch versions, being crowdfunded on Campfire (MyDearest has used for all its games) raising 21,782,100JPY from 1,542 pledges.

20/12/22 Update: M Theory & Oddboy merge to form Mighty Eyes! Article mentions working alongside SIE & Official Website states, 'In partnership with Sony Interactive Entertainment'.
08/01/23 Update: Gran Turismo 7 PSVR2 mode at launch, Song in the Smoke: Rekindled for PSVR2, added useful links, including Road to VR website so people can read up on the latest.
09/01/23 Update: Take a look at 93 PSVR 2 games in development right now. Hour plus long video imbedded containing many (but not all) PSVR2 titles. Will review the list nearer launch.

Last edited:
I really don’t see people spend money on buying a PS5 will then buy a VR headset that is more expensive than the console itself. I think it would be a much bigger success if it was close to the first PSVR price than now

I really don’t see people spend money on buying a PS5 will then buy a VR headset that is more expensive than the console itself. I think it would be a much bigger success if it was close to the first PSVR price than now

It is pretty close to the original PSVR price. The PSVR with the move controllers and camera (which was necessary to use it) came out to over 500 dollars.

Considering how much everything else has gone up in price and how high-end the tech in this set is, seems fair that its less than 50 dollars more.

The thing with the PSVR original price is that it was bad, and meant the growth for it came to a crawl very quickly. Even setting aside the context that people might have had the requisite controllers already (they were popular) so they didn’t have to buy any additional accessories, that thing still just sat in stores until Sony slashed prices. This time though it’s less clear how they’d cut prices, because PSVR 2 seems genuinely expensive make.

I know a lot of people didn’t think this would happen due to meta purchase

I'd REALLY love to know how much money Sony had to pay Facebook for that port. Beat Saber is the Quest 2's #1 must-have, it's like Nintendo allowing a port of Mario 64 to the PS1 back in the days. Curious what Facebook's thinking here is or maybe their financial issues with the metaverse that nobody uses.

As for the PSVR2 itself, I still don't see any good argument for its success. Of course, with everyone defining sucess/failure differently, it's hard to discuss that at times, but in the context of other VR-competitors, demanding 1000 dollars (500 if you already have a PS5) for tethered VR in 2023 and with only one new "must have"-game in the form of a 10 hour-lasting Horizon-experience, the rest being old games ported over, then I don't know how this is supposed to grow compared to PSVR1. I was there for PSVR1 on day one and there were plenty of exclusive games, plus the bonus of VR itself being fresh. The PSVR2 is too many steps backwards and only one forward (EyeTracking). And unless I missed it, Sony has not announced any upcoming, big NEW VR-titles.

As someone who's been in love with VR long before it became available (I remember the "Nintendo RevolutiON", haha), it's a bit frustrating how all VR-manufacturers appear to be caught up in some weird transitioning stage between the 1st and 2nd generation of VR. I watched a video about Vive's latest headset, very sleek and all, but ofc no EyeTracking and no OLED-displays, so bad black levels. The Quest Pro is way overpriced and has bad pass through. The rumored Quest 3 apparently removes EyeTracking that the Pro already introduced. And the only big hope is the mysterious "Deckard" that Valve is supposed to be working on, but that could be anything and nothing. There is currently no VR-headset in the making that has OLED-displays, EyeTracking, wireless, at an affordable price sub-1000 dollars. And then there's always the issue of every manufacturer using their own store without allowing other stores to be used with their headsets, although that's a different issue. VR is amazing, it is the true nextgeneration of video games, but with how its current big players are fumbling, I'm honestly thinking that we'll have to wait for Nintendo to join VR before someone finally makes a BIG VR-exclusive adventure-game. Because the biggest issue of VR is games, which mostly consist of short "experiences", mini-games or an overabundance of horror-titles. What VR needs are enjoyable, inviting action-adventure-rpgs that capture the spirit of "Sword Art Online". That's what, imo, everyone is really waiting for.

Anyway, observing the PSVR2's launch will be interesting either way.

The question isn’t whether or not this thing will flop, but rather how badly.

What numbers do you consider a flop, and how does that align with Sony's expectations?

I'd REALLY love to know how much money Sony had to pay Facebook for that port. Beat Saber is the Quest 2's #1 must-have, it's like Nintendo allowing a port of Mario 64 to the PS1 back in the days. Curious what Facebook's thinking here is or maybe their financial issues with the metaverse that nobody uses.

Sony is one of the biggest music publishers in the world. Pretty easy to see a mutually beneficial deal for both parties here at a glance.

There is currently no VR-headset in the making that has OLED-displays, EyeTracking, wireless, at an affordable price sub-1000 dollars

PSVR2 is the closest thing to what you describe and its $550 with controllers.

PSVR2 is an outstanding value proposition: 4K HDR OLED 120 Hz, eye tracking, foveated rendering,110 FoV is
unmatchable for PCVR at PSVR prices.

Sony is one of the biggest music publishers in the world. Pretty easy to see a mutually beneficial deal for both parties here at a glance.
Are you implying Sony would forbid Facebook from using music if they didn't give Beat Saber to PSVR2?
PSVR2 is the closest thing to what you describe and its $550 with controllers.

PSVR2 is an outstanding value proposition: 4K HDR OLED 120 Hz, eye tracking, foveated rendering,110 FoV is
unmatchable for PCVR at PSVR prices.
It fails in 2 crucial areas, as well as most importantly the software part. As someone who follows VR-news, I can tell you that people generally don't care about technical stuff like "4K HDR 120Hz" - the VR needs to function properly and that's already true for existing headsets like the Quest 2 and Pico 4. More fidelity is always welcome, but the things lacking lie in the big, fundamental features, and PSVR2 is no closer to what I described than the others.

Unfortunately, there is no "close enough" for what I'd consider the true 2nd generation of VR. It either is or it isn't. I'm coping with hope for the mystery that is Deckard.

Are you implying Sony would forbid Facebook from using music if they didn't give Beat Saber to PSVR2?

More like Sony would open its music library licensing to Beat Saber, provide better rates etc

As someone who follows VR-news, I can tell you that people generally don't care about technical stuff like "4K HDR 120Hz"

I follow VR news as well and tech is absolutely fundamental to the software, ease of use and experience. 4K OLED 120Hz make a monumental difference compared to LCDs and even LEDs.

People who know about specs will care and those who do not will be able to see the difference when tried out.

but the things lacking lie in the big, fundamental features

like what?
Software is subjective, RE8, GT7, HCoM is a great launch lineup. 3 AAA VR games already, something PCVR has been starved of for years.

like what?
Software is subjective, RE8, GT7, HCoM is a great launch lineup. 3 AAA VR games already, something PCVR has been starved of for years.
One of those is a new game.

Re-read my earlier posting and tell me how it's wrong. That lacking software is a general problem for VR is not my made up argument, pretty much everyone I talk to agrees with that. VR-manufacturers need to realize that tacking on a VR-mode to old games is not what most VR-fans want.

While we don’t know Sony’s exact expected numbers, we know enough about their production to have a baseline of expectations, and analysts agree: they expect to sell around 2 million during the launch quarter.

And beyond that, the widely shared expectations of small consumer software platforms is that they grow. How much growth and how fast is a more fuzzy question, but stagnation or decline would be a clear failure for a new platform in medium that’s supposed to be growing.

More like Sony would open its music library licensing to Beat Saber, provide better rates etc
If SME were making a deal for console Beat Saber, we'd be talking about the Labo VR version. lol

edit- Besides which a deal isn't necessary, Meta said Beat Games would continue multiplatform development after they acquired them.

Huh, guess sometimes Big Tech can be taken at their word? Someone tell FTC...

Last edited:
Really wanted it to be wireless, kind of weird to ask people to move around in a 3D environment but then restrict their movement. Was playing a shooting game in VR and wanted to really have fun but then the cord got in my.

You still haven't given any numbers of what your expectations of a success is, and how you arrived at Sony's expectations of a success.
Neither do you, except based on what I've seen on the old site, a weird amount of people try to obfuscate the definition of "success" to shut down critical debate. There's various milestones one could use to define success/failure, but with VR as a whole being in a different stadium than when it first started a couple years ago, it's harder to define a clear number. Personally, I'd see PSVR2 as a failure if it sells less than PSVR1 and if other VR-manufacturers manage to dominate the discussion around VR. Before the Quest 2, PSVR1 was the go-to-headset for a long time, with Vive and Valve's headset being highend-alternatives for PC. If PSVR2 can establish itself as the go-to-headset for non-PC-gamers, above any of the standalone-options, then I'd consider it a success.

Neither do you, except based on what I've seen on the old site, a weird amount of people try to obfuscate the definition of "success" to shut down critical debate. There's various milestones one could use to define success/failure, but with VR as a whole being in a different stadium than when it first started a couple years ago, it's harder to define a clear number. Personally, I'd see PSVR2 as a failure if it sells less than PSVR1 and if other VR-manufacturers manage to dominate the discussion around VR. Before the Quest 2, PSVR1 was the go-to-headset for a long time, with Vive and Valve's headset being highend-alternatives for PC. If PSVR2 can establish itself as the go-to-headset for non-PC-gamers, above any of the standalone-options, then I'd consider it a success.
Yeah I'd consider how well VR2 sells in comparison to VR1 to be a good metric. Going by that criteria, I expect 2 to sell less than the first with a ceiling of 5M. I'd consider it a "success" if it managed to do even 50% better than VR1. Really any significant growth. 10M would make it a smashing hit compared to the first system.

That lacking software is a general problem for VR is not my made up argument,

What's wrong with 30+ games at launch?
I'd see PSVR2 as a failure if it sells less than PSVR1 and if other VR-manufacturers manage to dominate the discussion around VR. Before the Quest 2, PSVR1 was the go-to-headset for a long time,

PSVR2 is more advanced. Let alone expensive than PSVR1. Maybe it wouldn't sell at least as PSVR1 in the end, but surely Sony will earn more revenue than with PSVR1.

Back
Top Bottom