• Akira Toriyama passed away

Let's all commemorate together his legendary work and his impact here

PlayStation VR2 launches on February 22nd, 2023 | $549,99 / €599,99 / £529,99 / ¥74.980

MarcoP90

Pronouns
He/Him

f783ce528e516240e4dbe1d2615974cd6283fb32-scaled.jpg

• PlayStation VR2
    • $549.99 / €599.99 / £529.99 / ¥74,980 recommended retail price (including tax for GBP, EUR, and JPY)
    • Includes PS VR2 headset, PS VR2 Sense controllers and stereo headphones

cd1a8f230072143cd066f010342ea8fe96cce3ab-scaled.jpg

• PlayStation VR2 Horizon Call of the Mountain bundle
    • $599.99 / €649.99 / £569.99 / ¥79,980 recommended retail price (including tax for GBP, EUR, and JPY)
    • Includes PlayStation Store voucher code for Horizon Call of the Mountain, PS VR2 headset, PS VR2 Sense controllers, and stereo headphones

56eb00fabf0569791207715ce5df01ca2724907a-scaled.jpg

• PlayStation VR2 Sense controller charging station
    • $49.99 / €49.99 / £39.99 / ¥5,480 recommended retail price (including tax for GBP, EUR, and JPY)
    • Players can charge the PS VR2 Sense controller through a simple click-in design, without having to connect to a PS5 console – freeing up the console’s USB ports.

Availability details

Standalone software titles, including Horizon Call of the Mountain, will also be available for pre-orders starting this month. More details will be provided at a later date.

During this initial launch phase for our next-gen headset, players in the U.S., U.K., France, Germany, Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg will initially be able to pre-order PlayStation VR2 solely through PlayStation’s online store at direct.playstation.com. Pre-orders will begin on November 15, and players may begin to register for pre-orders starting today. Orders from direct.playstation.com for PlayStation VR2 headsets and bundles will ship throughout the week of launch.

In other markets, PlayStation VR2 will be sold at participating retailers, with pre-orders beginning on November 15. Information will be provided through participating local retailers in these regions.

New details on PlayStation VR2's lineup

List of games featured
  • The Dark Pictures: Switchback VR (Supermassive Games)
  • Crossfire: Sierra Squad (Smilegate)
  • The Light Brigade (Funktronic Labs)
  • Cities VR - Enhanced Edition (Fast Travel Games)
  • Cosmonious High (Owlchemy Labs)
  • Hello Neighbor: Search and Rescue (tinyBuild Games)
  • Jurassic World: Aftermath Collection (Coatsink)
    Pistol Whip VR
  • Zenith: The Last City (Ramen VR)
  • After the Fall (Vertigo Games)
  • Tentacular (Firepunchd Games UG)

I would have liked it to be priced around $50 lower, but that's not too bad for the tech that's being used. It would be nice if the headset would have PC support, though I'm not expecting it to.

It will "sell out" as almost all launches do and the hard-core will grab theirs, but I think sales will sputter pretty fast after that.

There aren't that any PS5s out there and people are not going to drop another 550 to play a horizon spinoff.

The lack of 1st party studio announcements for VR doesn't inspire much confidence either

Oculus Quest 2 sold so much the last two years because of it's lower price. As soon as they increased it's price it's sales dropped off hard.
The PSVR2 is even more expensive. VR is going to stay a niche market.

Cross-posting.

Seems high (and it is) but unlike PSVR1 all of these headsets include the Sense motion controllers. That's why the price is what it is. PSVR1 you could buy without the Move controllers, which led to a lot of people just owning the PSVR but with the inability to play Move-required software. Which in turn hurt the sale of that software.

This time around they're making sure everyone has access to the motion controllers from the jump.

235 gyudon (beef bowls, cheese is extra)
150 McDonalds value meals (burger, fries, drink)
960 half liter bottle of soda
506 instant noodle cups
230 kg of rice (~820,000 calories)
258 weeks of shonen jump (4.9 years)
5 two game vouchers and a switch lite

It's too expensive for me but should do well enough with the hardcore VR audience on Playstation. There is only a single upcoming gaming device i would be willing to spent 500€ on and it's not this one.

I wasn't blown away by PSVR despite completing Astro Bot so it's going to be a heck no from me at that price point. Maybe when it's £300. And even then or slightly less the maybe is stressed.

But looking forward to seeing what impact this has overall. I was fully in the James Stephanie Sterling camp of being mildly impressed with the effects (particularly with the aforementioned Astro Bot) and digging it overall for like a month and then forgetting about the thing entirely for months and months thereafter. For Sony's first foreay into this I'm surprised how few games/showpieces/events they had for PSVR and was actually surprised they're doing it all over again. I can't really remember much that released after the first year, Astro Bot sure, an Iron Man game I think and then... was GT patched to support this, and Dreams as well? Then I'm drawing a blank, after a few games which didn't set the charts on fire at all. And considering how few SIE VR games have been announced for this thing that is now launching quite soon I'm getting Vita/PS Classic vibes from this more than PS4/5.

I dunno, with how little traction VR gets these days (I remember a lot of journos commenting on how few clicks VR related articles got once the PSVR novelty wore off) at that high price point in not exactly a boom period in many countries... I can see Sony releasing a big fat 0 VR games in the whole of 2024 and just moving on á la PS Vita.

Not even doing a VR State of Play or a vid for this is... telling..? Maybe.

good-luck-with-that-sounds-terrible.gif

And that's on top of the £449.99 £479.99 price for the console that you need to use the VR headset in the first place...

Any bulky device strapped to your face will always be a tech enthusiast product, not a true profit generator with long term enthusiasm.

VR is the video game equivalent of fusion reactors, always just 10 years away.

Another sign the videogame industry, having cocooned themselves in echo chambers away from the general public, lack constructive feedback on what information people want so they can make an informed decision. As a result they put out tone deaf press releases / blog posts that raise more questions than answers, failing to address basic questions any bystander would know should've been answered. Be it smaller companies like Granzella & NIS with R-Type Final 3 Evolved not having a paid upgrade path for PS4 owners of R-Type Final 2/3, failing to give a clear answer when people like me asked for clarity. In this case, a major corporations like SIE has, to give a few recent examples, offered near total radio silence on BC issues, poor emulation.
can this work with PC?
It would be nice if the headset would have PC support, though I'm not expecting it to.
To which we can add the PSVR2 release date announcement, as it really should've been made clear by SIE the moment PlayStation Studios began porting games to PC if PSVR2 would be PS5 only, work on PC at launch or at a later date. Alternatively, will first party PSVR2 games be ported to PC VR headsets like Valve Index? Why aren't they confirming if they'll be patches for PSVR first party games like Astro Bot Rescue Mission to make them fully playable on PSVR2? Will the Oculus VR games Insomniac Games developed such as Edge of Nowhere & Stormland be ported to PSVR2 & if not why not? Half Life Alyx on PSVR2? PSVR2 content for each PS Plus tier? If they don't wish to announce it all in one go, set out a roadmap between now & launch.

Last edited:
They will most likely achieve their desired goal. high revenue.
Even how they calculate revenue makes me think that their main purpose is big revenue, not big profit.

Another sign the videogame industry, having cocooned themselves in echo chambers away from the general public, lack constructive feedback on what information people want so they can make an informed decision.

I dont think this is an accurate description because only a tiny percentage of PSs time, money, and resources are being invested into VR. Their big studios arent making VR games, they arent making VR compatible games like REVII, they arent even making little 5 minute DLC type missions you can select from the main menu.

Its being treated like the side project that it is, indie devs are the only ones excited about this. Quite frankly there arent very many good VR games so if they can manage to make something decent its a good way for those small teams to stand out from the mountains of video games that get thrown into these digital stores every week.

they will sell whatever they'll ship
also because they won't flood the market with it imho

The thing is that they want to sell games too. Restricting your audience with that price, it's a bold move if they don't buy many games.
I don't know if many developers will work for such audience.

I don't exactly wanna say DOA but I can't see this doing well at all outside of the US and even there it will be meh at best. The price is bad and the launch lineup seems even worse.

This is probably a price set where they won't make a loss though, so not much hard would be done.

IIRC you also had to buy the camera.

Maybe initially? By the time I got mine (late 2017) it was in a bundle that included the camera, Moves and Skyrim. Selling it without the Moves is one thing, because a lot of games don't require them, but don't know why it was sold without the camera, as I'm pretty sure that's required to play it at all.

Nonetheless, that's why the price is what it is now. It was a mistake to sell the OG PSVR without the Moves initially (and camera apparently) in an effort to bring the price down because it segregated the market as not everyone could play every game. This is the right way to do it.

they will sell whatever they'll ship
also because they won't flood the market with it imho
If they do, it will be a big success since they intend to make 2m PSVR2 by March 2023.

They really need to show the games that would make the purchase worth it. Letting people use it on Steam would help too.

It would also necessitate way more effort to build an ecosystem.

The 2 platforms approach showed its limit last gen and both Sony/Nintendo rightfully pivoted away from it.
I agree although Sony considered PSVR a distinct platform. I assume it's the same with PSVR2?

Funcionally it's replaced the Portable line for them in terms of internal R&D (spinoffs from second tier teams) and whatever minor 3rd party investment (indies with a handful of partner pub one offs). It's just also tethered to their home console line more directly.

If they do, it will be a big success since they intend to make 2m PSVR2 by March 2023.

Well those are not shipped, but produced.
If they will ship 1.5 million out of the gate, I won't be that surprised: how many PS5 will there be on the market at that point? how many of those costumers are "high-end-spending" consumers, considering the high price PS5 product + stock issues/scalpers? so, wichi % would the PSVR2 be at, if 1.5 million of pieces would be distributed out of the gate?

I think it's reasonable, considering the obvious sales trajectory this kind of items will have in the long term (aka: the more months/years will pass, the lower the tie ratio compared to the PS5 install base will be)

It would also necessitate way more effort to build an ecosystem.

The 2 platforms approach showed its limit last gen and both Sony/Nintendo rightfully pivoted away from it.
I don't know if we can call this a pivot on Sony's part when they are still maintaining a separate discrete ecosystem of games that requires its own development pipeline and output. They just moved it from handhelds to VR, which to me seems like it was a misguided move, because the bestselling VR system to date has sold as much as Sony's worst selling portable (and the way Sony approaches VR, they are hobbling their own market potential for it even further by tethering it to their console, rather than making it a standalone thing).

So in that regard I agree with fiendcode; if Sony were going to do a second ecosystem, a portable would have been a better business decision than VR.

Another bad part about this is that it is NOT backwards compatible with PSVR1 games. Which is silly at this price point. I guess people with the first PSVR will just have to keep it around if they want to play PSVR1 games.

Maybe initially? By the time I got mine (late 2017) it was in a bundle that included the camera, Moves and Skyrim. Selling it without the Moves is one thing, because a lot of games don't require them, but don't know why it was sold without the camera, as I'm pretty sure that's required to play it at all.

Nonetheless, that's why the price is what it is now. It was a mistake to sell the OG PSVR without the Moves initially (and camera apparently) in an effort to bring the price down because it segregated the market as not everyone could play every game. This is the right way to do it.
Yes, at launch it didn't include the camera since the camera released a few years earlier so many customers already had one.
I didn't own a PS product before the PS5 but a friend got the PSVR1 during some deal and was disappointed he couldn't even play it (immediately) since he didn't have the camera.

I'm actually in support of offering these small packages (e.g. phones without charger) but there should also be all-in-one bundles and the different options need to be clear so it doesn't feel like hidden costs.

Oh wow, oh my goodness. I would never spend that amount of money on any add-on device, and I don’t care which console manufacturer released an add on at that price I would never support it. Kudos to the people that are willing to part away with that amount of money for an add-on thats not even backwards compatible. I can really only speak for myself personally and from that standpoint I just don’t see how the psvr2 is worth it.

I'm with @Himura Kenshin as this approach of having everything included is much better than hiding the actual costs of PSVR. I have issues with the announcement, but this isn't one of them.
I dont think this is an accurate description because only a tiny percentage of PSs time, money, and resources are being invested into VR. Their big studios arent making VR games, they arent making VR compatible games like REVII, they arent even making little 5 minute DLC type missions you can select from the main menu.

Its being treated like the side project that it is, indie devs are the only ones excited about this. Quite frankly there arent very many good VR games so if they can manage to make something decent its a good way for those small teams to stand out from the mountains of video games that get thrown into these digital stores every week.
I suspect our wires have crossed as my post (pasted below) is about marketing not pricing, so I gave an example from a third party (Granzella/NIS) that has impacted me, then mentioned couple recent issues with SIE communication failings & then set out the kinds of unanswered questions I have as a PS5 owner (who can afford a PSVR2) that would stop me pre-ordering.
Another sign the videogame industry, having cocooned themselves in echo chambers away from the general public, lack constructive feedback on what information people want so they can make an informed decision. As a result they put out tone deaf press releases / blog posts that raise more questions than answers, failing to address basic questions any bystander would know should've been answered. Be it smaller companies like Granzella & NIS with R-Type Final 3 Evolved not having a paid upgrade path for PS4 owners of R-Type Final 2/3, failing to give a clear answer when people like me asked for clarity. In this case, a major corporations like SIE has, to give a few recent examples, offered near total radio silence on BC issues, poor emulation.
can this work with PC?
It would be nice if the headset would have PC support, though I'm not expecting it to.
To which we can add the PSVR2 release date announcement, as it really should've been made clear by SIE the moment PlayStation Studios began porting games to PC if PSVR2 would be PS5 only, work on PC at launch or at a later date. Alternatively, will first party PSVR2 games be ported to PC VR headsets like Valve Index? Why aren't they confirming if they'll be patches for PSVR first party games like Astro Bot Rescue Mission to make them fully playable on PSVR2? Will the Oculus VR games Insomniac Games developed such as Edge of Nowhere & Stormland be ported to PSVR2 & if not why not? Half Life Alyx on PSVR2? PSVR2 content for each PS Plus tier? If they don't wish to announce it all in one go, set out a roadmap between now & launch.

Last edited:
Dead after launch window.
Yup. It'll get some sales from enthusiasts (am sure its pretty 'good' as a VR device so likely some good press) but no growth beyond that. A big part of the Sony business seems to be targeting upselling to a select few users but I do wonder if the userbase of these products is going to be high enough to bring the quality/quantity those users want.

No backward compatibility is a real oversight as well.

I don't know if we can call this a pivot on Sony's part when they are still maintaining a separate discrete ecosystem of games that requires its own development pipeline and output. They just moved it from handhelds to VR, which to me seems like it was a misguided move, because the bestselling VR system to date has sold as much as Sony's worst selling portable (and the way Sony approaches VR, they are hobbling their own market potential for it even further by tethering it to their console, rather than making it a standalone thing).

So in that regard I agree with fiendcode; if Sony were going to do a second ecosystem, a portable would have been a better business decision than VR.
Vita also continued to sell - PSVR did a Kinect instead. The other thing I think everyone still ignores with the handheld market is its massively changed - we now have a growing handheld PC market with Steam Deck but Steam Deck did not create that market, instead other producers of handheld PCs did.

Theres clearly room for a Sony handheld - the issue for Sony is their internal development teams do not want to produce games for it but that is also true for VR.

Switch (and Deck to a lesser degree) shows there is a handheld format that can take off. Demand for the Switch OLED actually shows theres quite a lot of interest in the form factor as well. Imaginary world - PlayStation Portable with Switch functionality but better hardware would get all the F2P games (Destiny to boot) and basically all the Indie games on PS4/5 - it can probably run any Sony game which supports PS4 and any third party title on Switch can also be sold on this device.

There is a future timeline where people are playing games between Nintendo Switch 2 and their Steam Deck which supports Sony games on PC. I don't see how this will not change user behaviour and the services they use.

This is why I was so skeptical of reading too much into Sony supposedly being ready to sell 2 million of their new VR device at launch, with regards to it being a bigger mainstream success than its predecessor. You can sell 2 million at a very high price, and then quickly settle into a small niche device role.

I can see selling 2 million units or more, but one of the main questions I have is whether Meta will sell a quest 3 or focus on the high-end market and quest 2. but after all the losses from its META reality division for Reality Labs, I have my doubts.

I dont see how this will be able to outperform PSVR1, especially outside of the US.

I know the tech is really good but that pricing is just too much.

Back
Top Bottom